New rule proposal

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

EduChris
Prodigy

New rule proposal

Post #1

Post by EduChris »

All of us have a basic, metaphysical framework that we operate within. None of us can "prove" or "confirm" that our metaphysical frame is "true and factual."

We have allowed on this forum one individual, with apparently more time on his hands than anyone else, to bully and cajole and inflame many good people for years now, with the result that discussion and debate on this forum is debased and degraded.

With some people, learning and reason and civility begin to prevail--but others seem impervious to such appeals. Many good people have left this forum because of senseless antics such as described, coming from one individual in particular.

See this post for an example.

I propose we ban demands for "confirmation" of metaphysical frameworks for anyone who has been on the forum long enough to have learned better. Newbies ought to be able to ask questions and learn, but after a certain amount of time or a certain amount of posts, if an individual still hasn't learned that metaphysical frameworks cannot be proven, then such persons should be told to stop the incessant bullying and cajoling.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #51

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I think the place for protected unproven or unsubstantiated metaphysical assumptions is the TD&D forum. It think it is vital to preserve the freedom to ask for either proof, admission that something is a presumption, or agreement to disagree. Once one admits something is a presumption or an article of faith, conversation can proceed on that basis. if not, argument can continue around alleged facts. But after agreement that a presumption is exactly that, continued harassment AND unsubstantiated claims could both be against the rules at that point. But as far I'm concerned demanding proof is one of the few protections against making reading from the bible or catechism count as a proof. And that makes the forum moot.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by Slopeshoulder »

otseng wrote:
EduChris wrote: Should theists refuse to answer any question until all of the obvious implicit assumptions in the OP are made explicit? Is that really the only way to ensure that off-topic challenges do not derail the specific question in the OP?
Ideally, yes, the major assumptions should be explicitly stated in the OP. If not in the OP, then the major assumptions should be stated somewhere. For example, in the TDD subforum, the assumption is that the Bible is considered authoritative. Anyone who debates there should know that this issue is not to be debated. If assumptions are not listed somewhere, then there is sure to be a conflict of assumptions by the participants.
I agree with what Otseng is saying.
I'd also mention that even in the TD&D forum, if one acknowledges that certain words are in the bible, there is still ample room for interpretation of those words. A plain sense argument doesn't automatically carry the day necessarily. Of course, this shouldn't be used to play silly games or engage in senseless taunting, but rather to encourage and even demand an acknowledgement of the variety of exegetical methods, biblical theologies, and applications of words found in scripture. "He is risen" can mean a lot of things. "I AM" too. Et cetera ad infinitum. If this interpretive variety were not the case, the TD&D forum would morph from being a haven away from extreme secularist demands for proof of god's existence and attributes that could convince the american academy of science prior to engaging discussion, into a haven for literalist-only discourse. That would reduce this forum.
I say this because the relationship between the apologetics and doctrine forums is really important.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Surely folks'll forgive me if I misunderstand in my attempt to understand...

In trying to sort this out, I've come to the notion that if I ask such as, "How or why should we think your conclusions most reasonable", that'd satisfy the legitimate notion that some stuff just ain't "provable".

Instead of, "How can we know you speak truth", I should, to avoid implications of nefarity, go back to the notion that we seek to understand why a given argument is reasonable or logical - when such argument lacks proof (owing to some real problems with proof, while leaving proof available to the claimant). Right?

I say that, but then I think of those claimants who'd declare Truth. How can we accurately address that without asking how we can know they're doin' it?

On repeated requests - not demands because I'm in no position to do so - I still think that such is not harassment, but a real and legitimate attempt to come to "the truth of the matter" (poor phrase, I know), and even an attempt to show, by omission or refusal, that the claimant can't support their claims. Where'm I off here?

I genuinely do not want to bring the quality of debate on this site down - I've learned from it, I've grown from it, but from my perspective a claimant who's unwilling to address their claims is what does indeed bring it down. That's not an attempt to slur or poison the well, but is, I contend, a legitimate, valid position - even as I leave it open to correction.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #54

Post by EduChris »

Jester wrote:...If, however, you are referring not to an opening post, but to a comment about God's nature made in response to a non-theists challenge, such as:

Non-theist: I have a question for theists: Who created the creator?
Theist: God was not created, but exists eternally*.
Non-theist: I challenge you to show me evidence that God has always existed.

The particular non-theist here is clearly a bad debater. (S)he is not engaging with the position of the theist, but merely demanding evidence for something that is true of the theist's view of God by definition.
If this is the sort of case you are envisioning, I agree that it is frustrating. I even agree that this is shifting the topic (and a breach in rule 4 if it continues).

I see no reason, however, for an extra rule to cover this. This person simply needs to be told that this is off-topic. If (s)he persists, rule 4 will apply...
This is precisely the problem. I'm glad to know that such behavior is a breach of rule #4.

Jester wrote:...*For the record, I'd avoid this by claiming "God, as defined by Christianity, was not created, but exists eternally."
I and others have already tried such an approach on numerous occasions, all to no avail.

Anyway, if such behavior is a breach of rule #4, as you say, I hope I am not being unreasonable in expecting rule #4 to be enforced.

otseng
Savant

Re: New rule proposal

Post #55

Post by otseng »

ThatGirlAgain wrote: When I first came here I am sure I read something someplace about stating your assumptions in the OP. I though it was in the debating tips post but I cannot find it anyplace now. Did I make this up?
I'm sure it's somewhere, but I don't know where either.

I've updated the tips about listing assumptions.
5. State your major assumptions.

All arguments have assumptions. And debates often cannot progress meaningfully when participants have differing assumptions. In some subforums, the assumptions are stated in the guidelines. If there are additional assumptions that these do not cover, try to list the additional major assumptions. If an assumption is stated either in the OP or in a guideline, then debating the validity of the assumption is not allowed in the thread. If someone participates in the thread, then he/she must agree to the assumptions for sake of argument.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Cathar1950 »

I am not sure what to make of his complaint as it is EduChris that has introduced his sloppy metaphysical misunderstandings when clearly “evidence� and “fact� were the subjects, see below for the relevant OPs, not the one of the many metaphysical proposals concerning the nature of “God�, non-contingent existence, bases for existence(ontology), first cause or unmoved mover. It is EduChris that is doing the introjections of misplace metaphysical concerns which he seems to misunderstand. Metaphysics is the search for general or universal rules that include all actuality and possibility. Some even call it a descriptive science.
We don’t pick our metaphysics; we discover them while worldviews are learned.
Mostly he is using is slight understanding of metaphysics to beg any questions even when it is clearly calling for facts and evidence about the truth and literalness of biblical claims and text.
EduChris is dressing the “God� of classical theism is vague and unexplained metaphysical robes.
As far as metaphysical proposals or analyses would hardly be relevant to non-theists, positivists and others and would only be relevant among the many theisms in order to make judgments among the many theistic gods as the question among theists is which god, not does “God� exists, and then it would only be by analogy that clear methodology and clear meanings be specified.

He seems to be confusing metaphysics with worldviews.

I suggest some sort of temporary censor where they get a big light that flashes that provides the infraction.
JoeyKnothead wrote:From Post 33 here:
revelationtestament wrote: ...satan does his work to deny the work of God.
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the statement is true and factual.

Heresis wrote:Occam's Razor basically states that "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity." In scientific terms, this means that the simplest answer to a question, when faced with two or more possible answers, is the most accurate. Having said that, I find Christianity has very strange and enigmatic explanations for history and the world around us.

For instance, the story about Adam and Eve eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Why create such an incredible penalty for something that this god knew would happen? After all, it is all part of his plan in the first place being that he is omnipotent and omniscient. This is the explanation given for why "evil" happens. This could better be explained by the conclusion that there is no god, or, if there is, he is deistic rather than theistic, but, as LaPlace showed us, the model works fine without a god figure.

Another strange example from the Bible is the story of Noah and the ark. Are we actually supposed to believe that Noah actually had two of every animal on the ark with him and his family? This seems mildly plausible until one examines some other beliefs held in the Christian faith, such as the belief that humans were created before animals (Which then begs the question, were there also two of every type of dinosaur on the ark? How did that work? Also, the interbreeding taking place would have surely destroyed our species after several generations, unless it was condoned by god in which case, it would just be weird).

The widely held belief that the entire universe is only six thousand years old comes to mind, as well, even though science has been able to date it as far back as 14.5 billion years old.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that since none of these claims have been adequately explained or backed up by evidence (the Bible is hearsay and doesn't count), why believe them when science offers a totally rational alternative based on tested facts and absent superstitious, non-provable (or disprovable) beliefs?

otseng
Savant

Post #57

Post by otseng »

Cathar1950 wrote:I am not sure what to make of his complaint as it is EduChris that has introduced his sloppy metaphysical misunderstandings when clearly “evidence� and “fact� were the subjects ...
Moderator Comment

Let's avoid discussing about EduChris (or anybody) in this thread.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.

Jester
Prodigy

Post #58

Post by Jester »

JoeyKnothead wrote:That said, my personal opinion is that a counter-argument need not be presented in order to examine claims. I simply wish to extend to the theist my point of view, as they present theirs, so that my own take may be as critically examined as I'm gonna try to do to theirs.
Seems fair enough (and the rest not reprinted here).

Best to you.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

Jester
Prodigy

Post #59

Post by Jester »

EduChris wrote:I'm glad to know that such behavior is a breach of rule #4.
Same here. Personally, it's my favorite of the rules.
Jester wrote:...*For the record, I'd avoid this by claiming "God, as defined by Christianity, was not created, but exists eternally."
EduChris wrote:I and others have already tried such an approach on numerous occasions, all to no avail.
If this is happening, then I'd say you're in great shape as far as debating.
If someone wants to argue that Christianity doesn't define God this way, well, that's going to be a hard one to support at best.
If it were me, I'd just keep pointing out that I never claimed (on that topic) that Christianity is true (and mentally chalk that up to an easy win).
EduChris wrote:Anyway, if such behavior is a breach of rule #4, as you say, I hope I am not being unreasonable in expecting rule #4 to be enforced.
I definitely intend to enforce it.
I always give the caveat that the moderators don't always agree with members about what constitutes a breach of a rule, but I definitely agree that an off-topic challenge is as against rule 4 as an off-topic claim. So long as it is repeated, this is a problem.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 58:
Jester wrote: ...but I definitely agree that an off-topic challenge is as against rule 4 as an off-topic claim. So long as it is repeated, this is a problem.
I think this would have a negative impact on one's ability to accurately address a given issue. Is a challenger expected to read the mind of the claimant in order to determine that the claimant considers their claim off-topic?

I propose that unless and until a claimant declares their claim off-topic, the principle of charity, of which our OPer is a proponent, would be that we consider the claim somehow relevant.

Would a claimant who ignores or refuses to address challenges to their claim face the same sanction as one who had to repeatedly challenge that claim in order to better understand the claim? Would the necessity of repeatedly challenging a suddenly silent claimant then cause the challenger to incur multiple infractions? What if only after repeated challenges does the claimant then declare their claim off-topic, or offers something else? Does the repeated challenging - that eventually produced results - then incur a penalty?

At what number of challenges to a suddenly silent claimant is challenging their claims gonna get the challenger into trouble? Where does the rule regarding repeated unsubstantiated claims come into play? If I challenge repeated unsubstantiated claims, am I now broaching the "don't repeat challenges" deal?

Punishing the challenger is not the right way to go, when all a claimant need do is fess up as to the nature of their claim.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin