If you asked a child the quote below what would they say?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #36]

I'll ask again:

If I went up to a child and said
'Who created the heavens?

'Who created the earth?

'Who created all the people and angels?'

'Who exists before anything else exists?'

(This is taken from this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1134599#p1134599)
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Re: If you asked a child the quote below what would they say?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:46 pm If I went up to a child and said

'Who created the earth?

Could they answer "creator"?

Now, if it is not too much, I would like to ask you:
Bible tells Jesus is the image of God. Is an image the same as the source of the image?

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:10 am
Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:46 pm If I went up to a child and said

'Who created the earth?

Could they answer "creator"?

Now, if it is not too much, I would like to ask you:
Bible tells Jesus is the image of God. Is an image the same as the source of the image?
Are you answering God?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Since a Child is deemed as anything under 17 (they seem to be trying to raise it 18 except in Hollywood where they apparently want to make it below 10) a 6 year old might well say 'God' if they had been indoctrinated, or 'don't know' if they hadn't or, like Topsy the black kid who seemed to me smarter that the white woman who asked who made her: "Ah 'spect ah growed".

Smart answer, and one that any "Child" over 11 would answer (unless indoctrinated by creationism). Then the question would change to: 'But who made what started off everything that growed in the first place?" In which case the kid (smart atheist educated by the Illuminati in our underground world domination (1) facility under Denver airport) would say: "Different question. Well everything goes back biologically to the first reproducing molecule, and there is a hypothesis for that, that doesn't need a Creator". As for mineral, that goes back to cosmic origins, and the right answer is 'We don't know', not "A creator".

So, dudes and dudesses, the attempt to get a kid to make a kneejerk 'Ooo- wow... I guess a Creator mustha dunnit' to somehow force creationism on materialists on the flawed grounds that a Creator is obvious even to a six year old, so You - wall orta accept it, too, and not suppose that the information a child had (under 11, anyway) is so limited, YE Creationists can offload their creationist garbage into their empty little heads.

Really, the theists accuse atheists of pretending to intellectual superiority, but in fact it's the kneejerk debunk of a projected perception by theist apologists that atheists argue so much better, because of pitiful attempts at Gochas like this.

(1) If I could sue spellcheck for $100 every time they said a word didn't exist, I'd have my own learjet.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:46 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #36]

I'll ask again:

If I went up to a child and said

'Who created the earth?

They would inadvertently concede a creator because the questions you're asking presuppose that someone did it, and you thus led them into that concession, and as you expect from a child, they're not going to be smart enough to see through that deception.

If you asked an honest question to a child who hadn't had any previous indoctrination one way or another, and asked them, "Was the universe made by anyone, or has it always existed?" I expect you'd randomly get either choice since the inconvenient truth is that nobody knows the answer to that. You might get about 60% created answers simply because evolution favoured the minds that thought like that with (non-incidentally) greater agency when creating things for themselves, and (more incidentally) religions that provided group protection.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:56 am (1) If I could sue spellcheck for $100 every time they said a word didn't exist, I'd have my own learjet.
I pretty much agree with the rest but I mainly upvoted this. Disproven apparently isn't a word.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Agreed.

The questions posed are clearly leading questions, purposefully worded in order that the hearer/reader-child has to answer "who" the "who" is.

Of course, generally that is the role of religion to be the entity which "explains" who the who is.

Along with that, are a great variety of "who's" offered by religion(s) for consideration...something children are generally not able to understand the nuances of, and rely on understandable adult explanations.

Whatever answers a child might offer more often than not, will be considered by the adult asking the child the questions, as being "childish".

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:47 pmIf you asked an honest question to a child who hadn't had any previous indoctrination one way or another, and asked them, "Was the universe made by anyone, or has it always existed?" I expect you'd randomly get either choice since the inconvenient truth is that nobody knows the answer to that.
I disagree; children automatically assume something came from something ( or someone) which is why, as soon as they can formulate the question they ask "who"? Why?" and "where?"
Who made the sky
Who put the stars up there?
Where do babies come from?
Why are butterflies pretty

.... and on and on ....and on..
They ask "why" because they presume that there must be a reason (and are instinctively unsatisfied with "nobody knows" )

Why is the sky blue? You may get away with explaining HOW the sky appears blue but if your child is especially tenacious they will not be distracted by descriptions of atmosphere and air molecules and will STILL come back with WHY is it blue or WHO made it blue.
There is a natural order in the world around us and it takes years of education (and perhaps a college degree) to squash the instinctive conclusion the observable paradigm of "cause and effect" lead'us to as little children.

RELATED POSTS

Do children naturally believe in God?
viewtopic.php?p=1134709#p1134709

Who created everything?
viewtopic.php?p=1134592#p1134592

Should children be raised by both their biological parents?
viewtopic.php?p=1016001#p1016001

To read learn please go to other posts related to ....

BABIES , CHILDREN and THE 7 CREATIVE DAYS OF GENESIS
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]

So what would a child answer?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:13 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]

So what would a child answer?
Depends on their age and education. A very little child under five might say Santa or Superman or Grandpa.
If their parents are religious they will probably say "God" If not they might say they dont know ... If their parents were Jehovah's Witnesses there is little doubt they would say "JEHOVAH"
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »