Miracles in current (and past) events

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Miracles in current (and past) events

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

I ran across this article and I found it very interesting. Non-theists constantly claim that the lack of mysterious or miraculous events directly implies that miracles are a myth and that the supernatural therefore can not be proven and the bible's miraculous claims are bogus.

But then something like this happens
Brazilian woman survives after being shot in head 6 times
Posted 11/11/2006 11:57 AM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) — A Brazilian woman who was shot six times in the head after an altercation with her ex-husband was out of the hospital and talking to the media on Saturday.
"I know this was a miracle," 21-year-old housewife Patricia Goncalves Pereira told Globo TV. "Now I just want to extract the bullets and live my life."

Pereira was shot Friday in the small city of Monte Claros, about 560 miles north of Sao Paulo, after quarreling with her former husband, who was reportedly upset because she refused to get back together with him. She was also shot once in the hand.

Doctors could not explain why the .32-caliber bullets did not penetrate Pereira's skull and didn't even need to be extracted immediately.

"I can't explain how something like this happened," surgeon Adriano Teixeira said, adding that the bullets were lodged under the woman's scalp.

The ex-husband was still at large.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

from http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/20 ... lets_x.htm

Now I am not going to say that this was divine intervention and it proves that all miraculous claims are now proved true. However, I was thinking that even if this wasn't a "miracle" and it was in fact something that science will be able to explain later, even thought it can't right now, that this could easily have been attributed by those witnessing the event to be a miracle.

The woman surely does think this. So my question is this . . .

Since there obviously are examples of things that are so far outside the realm of "normal" physical, scientific and natural behavior still happening today, why couldn't these sorts of things have occurred and been recorded by Jesus followers?

After all there are many times where a doctor can not explain a sudden healing of a person. This article notates that a woman shot in the head POINT BLANK with a 32 cal handgun not only survived, but not ONE of the bullets even cracked her skull. According to the logic of HUME and those non-theists who claim that violations of natural law never happen, the newspaper is lying.

So which is it? Are violations of "normal" natural events possible (even if we can later explain them) or are all the doctors and the newspapers recording events like this just making it up?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by achilles12604 »

There are many things which can not be proven to be true. This is especially true in regards to history. So yes it just you. I have no trouble accepting things like the Gettysburg address, WW2, Columbus discovering America and a whole bunch of other things from the past, all of which can be denied if you simply assume a position of disbelief before examining evidence for or against as well as sources, intentions, ulterior motives, outside source material and other things which should be weighed before making a decision.
I see. So if I believe that Lincoln made a speech decreeing all slaves free, the same logic can be used to justify a belief that thousands of years ago, a man named Jesus walked on water, rose from the dead, and ascended to heaven?

You see nothing logically wrong with this summation?
No. I am pointing out that the other extreme is just as unjustified. Since no one in modern times provides an obvious miracle, they must all be lies is just as presumptuous. If you start with an assumption then you will hunt for evidence (or lack of it). The only way to true scholarship is to examine what does not exist. Non-theists argue many time from a position of silence just like you are doing now. However your position of silence (miracles not happening today and lack of evidence) is not entirely solid. There are non-christian sources that attest to Jesus miracles which you continue to ignore. You don't even address them after I have asked you to several times so your position is lacking in two areas while mine is hurting only in one.

My position hurts because no one recently has seen a miracles documented on CNN. However, this really isn't so bad considering that miracles are claimed in regions not privy to cameras, the fact that it was the Son of God and his direct followers who performed miracles so you can't really even establish a precedence that miracles SHOULD appear today and finally the fact that there are extra-biblical attestations to Jesus actions.

Your position hurts because your argument of lack of evidence isn't solid because Jesus contemporary enemies mention his actions so there is evidence. This negates your position from the start. Your position is also hurting because it is an argument from silence (or not so much) which is a weak position to begin with.
Historians accept the Gettysburg Address, WW2, and Columbus because they are historically founded. We have multiple (even thousands) of reliable first hand accounts, undeniable archeological evidence, and in the case of the Gettysburg Address, the original manuscript.
You obviously didn't take part in my Gettysburg thread. I have done considerably more research since then and found even more reason to doubt a valid historical event from less than 200 years ago. And your presumption of the original being possessed isn't true even from the scholars on the subject. Not only is the very first copy thought to be lost, but even if it is one of the two we possess, no one knows which one it is.

See what happens when you assume? Please feel free to participate in Gettysburg if you don't believe me. It shows how easy it is to twist a real historical event into fiction, as process that non-theists have mastered.
On the other hand, no credible historian will attest to the fantastical happenings described in the Bible. Many do not even think that Jesus' very existence is historically founded. We don't know where this book came from. We don't know when it was written. We don't know who wrote it. We don't know if the people claiming to have written it ever even existed. We don't know how many times it has been manipulated and altered over the years, and in what way.

This is the second time you have questioned Jesus very existence. Therefore I think it fair to assume this is your stance since you never answered me on this point. If this is in fact your position then you are not in very good company. The evidence for a person of Jesus is well above anything demanded by historians. As for credible historians acknowledging Jesus actions, I assume you are disregarding all biblical historians simply because they disagree with you rather than their credentials? Sounds like it in which case my entire point has been proven.
And yet, you claim that we should accept it as historical knowledge, along with proven events such as the Civil War and Columbus' voyage?
Feel free to join me on Gettysburg. I have done even more research since I last posted there.

This is the fundamental downfall of the atheist regarding miracles. They deny the possibility based on their preconceptions. Then when a source supporting said events is put forth, they need to deny it because of their preconceptions.
No. I deny such a source because it is wholly ridiculous, baseless, unfounded, incoherent, and inconsistent with established historical fact.
ridiculous, is an opinion which you are free to have. Baseless is hard to argue since there are no contradictions with known history. It is at the very least plausible. Unfounded is again an opinion as is incoherent. Inconsistent with history is flat out incorrect.

So I challenge you. Take a section of the stories of Jesus which has been disproven by the tools of history. Literature, archeology, etc. The challenge is there, in fact I am going to start a thread on it.
I wonder- do you give every other book the same undying blind faith that you give the Bible? If I claimed to have ridden my tricycle to the moon on my 5th birthday, would you question my truthfullness?
This would all depend on outside sources, scientific factors, the stability of your documentation, etc. Can you provide anything supporting your claim or those of other ancient books?

Incidentally, your thoughts here follow EXACTLY what my faith journey went. I examined the literature of 7 major religions. I examined the archeology supporting them. I found the NT to be well supported. Islam's literature for example is find and dandy except that it all is traced back to 1 person who was known for expounding and exaggeration. The NT is from at least 5 sources and probably many more. There are many examples of this.
Jesus can make whatever inane claims he wants. Until he demonstrates the accuracy of those claims, no one can logically accept him as their personal savior.

Exactly. This is why he did.

Well, none exists, of course.

Exactly. Thank you for agreeing that your demand of our proving miracles beyond any shadow of a doubt is illogical.
Demanding that you prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt is illogical. There is nothing of which we can be certain, but a good number of things of which we can be pretty sure.

Show me a man walking on water (or more significantly, a god capable of impowering such a feat), and I can be pretty sure that miracles do indeed exist.
Good thing I'm not here to convince you personally. If direct witness of an event is the only method you believe history by, then I can see right away you trust the non-theist dogma of "extraordinary event require extra ordinary proof". In other words, deny anything you disbelieve in the beginning unless someone can offer something which obviously is impossible, (as you just admitted).

However, pointing to an unreliable religious text that merely claims that such things took place is not going to do it for me.
How would you examine history? Or is all of history unbelievable unless you currently accept it? Sounds a little close minded to me.
Forget the Bible. Either show me God, or walk to Japan. Take your pick.

I love this quote. In fact I am going to reference it in the future. It shows the closeminded nature of proud non-theists. Of course you realize it assumes you already have full knowledge of everything right?

Granted. However there are other sources of information on God. In order to dismiss God outright, the witness accounts of Jesus (both his followers and enemies) would need to be shown to contain massive errors.
I don't need to do ANYTHING to dismiss God outright.
''

Apparently.
YOU need to do quite a bit to prove him.
I thought you just said that absolute proof was impossible?

Are you trying to have your cake and eat it too? Or are you simply taking the position that I am required to prove my case beyond any doubt but no one else should be held to such a ridiculous standard?
Unless I am mistaken, the biblical contradictions thread failed to present a single contradiction which endangered any major area of Christian beliefs.
"Christian beliefs"? Exactly what beliefs are those? Catholic beliefs? Orthodox beliefs? Baptist? Later Day Saints?

Until Christians can decide just what Christ taught, we can hardly label any belief as being "Christian".
Red Herring. However, I will clarify. Non-denominational protestant beliefs in general. Please provide an example.
I don't need to demonstrate a contradiction between Jesus' teachings. Christians do that themselves.
Example.

No I do not think that there should be a higher demand placed on evidence of religion. I think it should fall under the exact same rules as other historical events.
Jim Bob claims that yesterday, he read a book.

Billy Joe claims to have been abducted by a Flying Spaghetti Monster, whisked away 10,000 galaxies, and anally probed by a pink winged unicorn wearing a ski mask.

I write a testimony for each person attesting to their feats. Which testimony do you think will hold up in a court of law? Which would be more likely to make it's way into a history textbook?
Ok we can examine this based on the traditional rules of historical analysis. How many extra sources does he have? Is there any archeology supporting this? Can his whereabouts be attested to by another method? Do the major players in this series of events have credible historicity? Just based on these we can throw out much of what he put forth, but the bible is still solid.
If the non-theist must administer higher standards to exclude evidence presented by Theists then I think your demands actually lend us a great complement and high credibility. We require our own level of examination to be disproved. Outstanding!!
It's not so much that you have to present a higher standard of proof. You just happen to have more facets of the issue to prove.

When Jim Bob claims to have read a book, a reliable written testimony is all that is needed, because it has all ready been established that it is indeed possible for a person to read a book.

Billy Joe, on the other hand, has a bit more on his plate. Not only must he provide a witness, he must also:

(1) Prove the existence of this "Flying Spaghetti Monster"
(2) Prove that there is technology available to allow for intergalactical travel.
(3) Prove the existence of flying pink unicorns, ect
Ok what about a person not believing in his claims attesting not only to the existence of all the major players but also to several of the events, writing on those very events and explaining them away by another method. How about we require at least as many extra sources as the bible possess? There is archeology supporting the bibles characters. Surely he can support his claims with the skeletons of the unicorns?
The same problem exists with Jesus. It has not been proven that walking on water is possible. The God that brought about this event has never been proven to exist. If Historians allowed for "equal treatment" of all claims, just think of the crap our textbooks would be littered with.
I just offered several places where the normal analysis of history works both in favor of the bible and against his theory.

There were no scientific "experts" in Jesus' time, of course. Even more reason to be skeptical of those who claim to have seen his miracles (if any such people actually exist).

You were the one who wrote this

I think that this particular point of his really rings true, because we know that even most experts in Jesus' time did not believe in his miracles (besides the ones who actually saw them... or so the Bible says).
Are you not contradiction yourself here? Please explain.
In the first quote, I claimed that there were "experts" during Jesus' time.
In the second, I denied the existence of any such experts.

However, this is not a contradiction. How? Because it is a miracle; I have made two statements that explicitly defy the principles of the English language, yet these statements remain inerrant. Why? Because I said so.

Based on your standards of historical inquiry, you have no choice but to accept this.
My standards of history would require that at least one scholar contemporary to you and I agree with you that this is a miracles and not simply a mixup in the use of grammar.

Besides this you would need at least 4 other persons on either side to agree with your attestation of this not being a problem. In addition to this those four persons should have the intention of being truthful. Also, we would need to examine the standards of the time (today). Do the standards of today's literature agree with your view or do they contest it?

So feel free to back up your statement.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #32

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Since no one in modern times provides an obvious miracle, they must all be lies is just as presumptuous. If you start with an assumption then you will hunt for evidence (or lack of it). The only way to true scholarship is to examine what does not exist.
It is logically impossible to prove the nonexistence of something.

Human knowledge consists of that which we can empirically prove. Until it is proven that phenomena can somehow defy natural laws, I can do nothing but operate under the assumption that such events do not occur.
However your position of silence (miracles not happening today and lack of evidence) is not entirely solid. There are non-christian sources that attest to Jesus miracles which you continue to ignore.
There is no demonstratably non-Christian source that writes of Jesus.

It is the winners who write history, as I am sure you have heard. The Christians, being the obvious winners, controlled all literature during their political reign over the late Roman Empire and Middle Age Europe.

Josephus' "Antiquities of the Jew" is the most common cited "independent" account of Jesus. Unfortunately, all copies of the work come from Christian sources, making the book's authenticity highly doubtful.

Are there other so called "independent" sources attesting to Jesus that I should know about?
You obviously didn't take part in my Gettysburg thread. I have done considerably more research since then and found even more reason to doubt a valid historical event from less than 200 years ago.
Considering that the event's described in the Bible are well over 200 years old, it would seem rather self-defeating for you to take such a position.
The evidence for a person of Jesus is well above anything demanded by historians.
And what evidence might that be?
So I challenge you. Take a section of the stories of Jesus which has been disproven by the tools of history. Literature, archeology, etc. The challenge is there, in fact I am going to start a thread on it.
Would there be a point in me doing this? Just because one section of Jesus' story can be proven or disproven by historians does not necessarily reflect the accuracy of the doctrine as a whole.

And besides, it is (once again) not my job to prove anything. You are the one making the claims. I will leave the proving up to you.
I wonder- do you give every other book the same undying blind faith that you give the Bible? If I claimed to have ridden my tricycle to the moon on my 5th birthday, would you question my truthfullness?

This would all depend on outside sources, scientific factors, the stability of your documentation, etc. Can you provide anything supporting your claim or those of other ancient books?
Let's say that five (supposedly) different people wrote about my riding this tricycle to the moon, compiling it all into one book called the Bible. Let us also presume that a man named Josephus (amoung others) wrote about my feat, despite the fact that there is a good chance that such writings were manipulated by the church in the years following their publishing.

Would you accept my feat then?
Incidentally, your thoughts here follow EXACTLY what my faith journey went. I examined the literature of 7 major religions. I examined the archeology supporting them. I found the NT to be well supported. Islam's literature for example is find and dandy except that it all is traced back to 1 person who was known for expounding and exaggeration. The NT is from at least 5 sources and probably many more. There are many examples of this.
In the informational world, a source is defined as "any process that generates successive messages". That gives Christianity a single source (The Bible). It does not matter how many people supposedly contributed to the Bible, because there is no way of validifying those people's supposed contributions. They could all be a single person for all we know.
If direct witness of an event is the only method you believe history by, then I can see right away you trust the non-theist dogma of "extraordinary event require extra ordinary proof".
Writings are not the only source by which we determine history. Parrallel disciplines such as archeology and sociology offer historians with much of their information. The findings made in such fields are the reason that events such as the Civil War and Columbus' discovery of America are widely considered to be founded historical events.

As far as something such as the Civil War goes, we can dig up artifacts and discover historical sites to acknowledge the accuracy of historical writings. However, There is no way for an archeologist or sociologist to determine whether a man how ever many thousands of years ago walked on water. The only thing we have to go on are writings, which, given the UNFEASIBLE nature of these particular events, are not near enough to acknowledge their plausibility.

So once again, if you want to prove these events, you have one of two choices; prove God, or walk to Japan. Prove that such phenomena can occur, or prove that there is a force out there who can MAKE them occur.
How would you examine history? Or is all of history unbelievable unless you currently accept it? Sounds a little close minded to me.
What if I write a book describing my abduction by aliens?

Would it be "closed minded" of you to be skeptical of this claim until a convincing form of ulterior evidence is presented in my favor?
YOU need to do quite a bit to prove him.

I thought you just said that absolute proof was impossible?

Are you trying to have your cake and eat it too? Or are you simply taking the position that I am required to prove my case beyond any doubt but no one else should be held to such a ridiculous standard?
I did not ask for absolute proof. Just proof.
In the first quote, I claimed that there were "experts" during Jesus' time.
In the second, I denied the existence of any such experts.

However, this is not a contradiction. How? Because it is a miracle; I have made two statements that explicitly defy the principles of the English language, yet these statements remain inerrant. Why? Because I said so.

Based on your standards of historical inquiry, you have no choice but to accept this.
My standards of history would require that at least one scholar contemporary to you and I agree with you that this is a miracles and not simply a mixup in the use of grammar.

Besides this you would need at least 4 other persons on either side to agree with your attestation of this not being a problem. In addition to this those four persons should have the intention of being truthful. Also, we would need to examine the standards of the time (today). Do the standards of today's literature agree with your view or do they contest it?

So feel free to back up your statement.
Jesus' miracles have one historical source (the Bible). I have one source (myself).
Jesus' miracles defy modern knowledge. My miracle defies modern knowledge.
There is no ulterior evidence attesting to Jesus' miracles. There is no ulterior evidence attesting to mine.

The similarities in these two cases go across the board. And yet, you accept Jesus' miracles, but not mine. A bit of bias on your part, perhaps? Could it be because the miracles of Jesus affirm the promise of an afterlife- a comforting notion that you are reluctant to let go?

What if I claimed that if you have faith in my miracle, your wrongs will be forgiven, and your spiritual future preserved?

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by achilles12604 »

Since no one in modern times provides an obvious miracle, they must all be lies is just as presumptuous. If you start with an assumption then you will hunt for evidence (or lack of it). The only way to true scholarship is to examine what does not exist.

Human knowledge consists of that which we can empirically prove. Until it is proven that phenomena can somehow defy natural laws, I can do nothing but operate under the assumption that such events do not occur.

You trust nothing until you pick it up and examine it yourself? Ok I'll buy that.
However your position of silence (miracles not happening today and lack of evidence) is not entirely solid. There are non-christian sources that attest to Jesus miracles which you continue to ignore.

It is the winners who write history, as I am sure you have heard. The Christians, being the obvious winners, controlled all literature during their political reign over the late Roman Empire and Middle Age Europe.

Josephus' "Antiquities of the Jew" is the most common cited "independent" account of Jesus. Unfortunately, all copies of the work come from Christian sources, making the book's authenticity highly doubtful.

Are there other so called "independent" sources attesting to Jesus that I should know about?

First off, the writings of Josephus were merely copied by Christian sources as well as Jewish sources. However if you wish to take the stance that opposes the vast majority of scholars today (theist and non) then by all means do so. I have no trouble concurring with them that Josephus' writings were his own and minus some variations I will admit to, they are intact for the most part.

Second, Josephus isn't alone. The Talmud also mentions Jesus and his actions. Also there are the letters of Justin Martyr about the beliefs of The WAY and the Nazarenes. These folks used Matthew as a source and almost all of them were contemporary with Jesus and most of them were Jewish, especially in the beginning.

There are many very early, non-biblical attestations to strange and magical events surrounding Jesus.

You obviously didn't take part in my Gettysburg thread. I have done considerably more research since then and found even more reason to doubt a valid historical event from less than 200 years ago.

Considering that the event's described in the Bible are well over 200 years old, it would seem rather self-defeating for you to take such a position.

One would think so wouldn't they. Yet I am able to present the exact same claims about something very recent as non-theists do about the bible. So really it amplifys the effect.

The evidence for a person of Jesus is well above anything demanded by historians.

As I have been saying, historians rely on writings, archeology and other sources for investigating ancient cultures and people. Would you like me to research the entire field of anthropology and then present information which you could easily look up yourself? Unless you are totally disregarding the fields of archeology, literature and anthropology, then you must be aware of some of the methods they use to investigate ancient cultures.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Goat »

achilles12604 wrote:

You trust nothing until you pick it up and examine it yourself? Ok I'll buy that.

First off, the writings of Josephus were merely copied by Christian sources as well as Jewish sources. However if you wish to take the stance that opposes the vast majority of scholars today (theist and non) then by all means do so. I have no trouble concurring with them that Josephus' writings were his own and minus some variations I will admit to, they are intact for the most part.

Second, Josephus isn't alone. The Talmud also mentions Jesus and his actions. Also there are the letters of Justin Martyr about the beliefs of The WAY and the Nazarenes. These folks used Matthew as a source and almost all of them were contemporary with Jesus and most of them were Jewish, especially in the beginning.

There are many very early, non-biblical attestations to strange and magical events surrounding Jesus.

One would think so wouldn't they. Yet I am able to present the exact same claims about something very recent as non-theists do about the bible. So really it amplifys the effect.

As I have been saying, historians rely on writings, archeology and other sources for investigating ancient cultures and people. Would you like me to research the entire field of anthropology and then present information which you could easily look up yourself? Unless you are totally disregarding the fields of archeology, literature and anthropology, then you must be aware of some of the methods they use to investigate ancient cultures.
well, fine. None of those writing is from before the Gospels were written. Josephus' antiquties 18 could very well be an interpolition too.. The Babaylonian Talmud was written down between 400 and 600 ce...hardly evidence of a historical Jesus, but merely a reaction to the beliefs the early christians had.

When it comes to Josephus, even the most ardent apolotist acknowledges that antiquites 18 is at least modified. Given that, what evidence do you have that it even existed before the 4th century?

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #35

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

You trust nothing until you pick it up and examine it yourself?
Empirical= Provable or verifiable by experience or experiment.

Most events mentioned in our history textbooks comply with the standards of empiricism. The story of Jesus, which makes impossible claims, is of unknown time and origin, and derives from just a single source, does not.

Refer to goat.

There is a single original source attesting to Jesus. There are zero reliable ones.

By historical standards, Jesus is not much more viable a figure than Santa Claus. Few historians go to the lengths of denying Jesus simply in light of the ramifications it may have on their career. Denying Jesus is just not a popular position to take, and would not garner many research grants.
There are also many early publications stressing the existence of dragons, goblins, witches, fairies, unicorns, and zeus.

We generally do not accept such claims as viable in light of their extraordinary nature. What makes Jesus' miracles so special as to merit a historians attention?
You have yet to provide historical or archaeological evidence for Jesus, of which there exists numerous examples for the more recent events in question.

Jesus and the Civil War are in completely different classes of knowledge. The later is proven by evidence. Belief in the former relies on groundless faith.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by achilles12604 »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:
You trust nothing until you pick it up and examine it yourself?

Empirical= Provable or verifiable by experience or experiment.

Most events mentioned in our history textbooks comply with the standards of empiricism. The story of Jesus, which makes impossible claims, is of unknown time and origin, and derives from just a single source, does not.

Refer to goat.

There is a single original source attesting to Jesus. There are zero reliable ones.

By historical standards, Jesus is not much more viable a figure than Santa Claus. Few historians go to the lengths of denying Jesus simply in light of the ramifications it may have on their career. Denying Jesus is just not a popular position to take, and would not garner many research grants.

There are also many early publications stressing the existence of dragons, goblins, witches, fairies, unicorns, and zeus.

We generally do not accept such claims as viable in light of their extraordinary nature. What makes Jesus' miracles so special as to merit a historians attention?

You have yet to provide historical or archaeological evidence for Jesus, of which there exists numerous examples for the more recent events in question.

Jesus and the Civil War are in completely different classes of knowledge. The later is proven by evidence. Belief in the former relies on groundless faith.

Your first section here doesn't make any sense. . .

The story of Jesus, which makes impossible claims, is of unknown time and origin, and derives from just a single source, does not.

Why do you say that it is from an unknown time and origin. I do not know of any scholar who holds this view. These are things which we are aware of. In fact the 4 gospels have been attributed to 4 different individuals and they have been dated to a span of 10-15 years each. Your posts do not usually contain blaintenty false information, however these claims are totally erroneous. Perhaps, this is the source of the common misunderstandings of the bible. Without a sound base, incorrect opinions and assumption, such as what you just wrote, can be very common.

www.earlychristianwritings.com

Quote:

Refer to goat.

Ok . . . Goat wrote . . .
well, fine. None of those writing is from before the Gospels were written. Josephus' antiquties 18 could very well be an interpolition too.. The Babaylonian Talmud was written down between 400 and 600 ce...hardly evidence of a historical Jesus, but merely a reaction to the beliefs the early christians had.

When it comes to Josephus, even the most ardent apolotist acknowledges that antiquites 18 is at least modified. Given that, what evidence do you have that it even existed before the 4th century?

First point, I don't need to show that they were before the Gospels. I simply need to show that they were written within the lifetimes of direct witnesses, which they were. A child witnessing Jesus actions would only be mid-life when Josephus wrote.

Also you are discounting the study of history. Of any ancient culture the Jews were by far the most obsessed with maintaining their history. So what good evidence can you show that the Jew's historians totally screwed up major events in their history over the course of a couple hundred years? Considering the strict rules employed by the scribes at the time, this doesn't make logical sense.

As for the Talmud, the Rabbi's writing this used previous writings. Some of them are even known to us.
Originally, Jewish scholarship was oral. Rabbis expounded and debated the law and discussed the bible without the benefit of written works (other than the biblical books themselves.) This situation changed drastically, however, mainly as the result of the destruction of the Jewish commonwealth in the year 70 C.E. and the consequent upheaval of Jewish social and legal norms. As the Rabbis were required to face a new reality—mainly Judaism without a Temple and Judea without autonomy—there was a flurry of legal discourse and the old system of oral scholarship could not be maintained. It is during this period that Rabbinic discourse began to be recorded in writing.

The earliest recorded oral law may have been of the midrashic form, in which halakhic discussion is structured as exegetical commentary on the Pentateuch. But an alternative form, organized by subject matter instead of by biblical verse, became dominant about the year 200 C.E., when Rabbi Judah haNasi redacted the Mishnah (משנה).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

So the gap is not nearly what you try to make it out to be. Your position also hinges on the inability of the historians to maintain accurate records. If the Jewish historians records were in fact trustworthy, as they have been shown to be, then you have no case what-so-ever.

As for Josephus, how can I show that his writings predate the fourth century? No offense but this is a silly question. Josephus' lifetime is the necessary timeframe for his writings. So I am totally missing how your question is valid. I seriously doubt that many scholars would agree with your doubts about Josephus being written before 300 AD. But then again not everyone has as open of a mind as some individuals posting here. Perhaps someone will prove this rather extreme point of view to be in fact - true. Perhaps not. . .

Lastly the writings of Justin Maryter refer to the Nazarenes. These individuals were already assembled and worshiping when the book of Matthew was written and began to be used in their activities. So while Justin's writings may be later, the people and the actions he was writing about were pre-gospel thru post gospel.
Quote:

Ok I'll humor you. Please present documentation by several different historians, who's writings refer to both regular mundane daily activities, and to goblins, witches, etc. Remember that the writers need to have been recognized at the time as writing about legitament historicall events as Josephus and the Talmud writers were. If possible please find several accounts written by persons claiming to be witnesses to these events, or to have obtained information from eye witnesses. The claims don't need to be proven absolutely. They simply need to claim that they did in fact witness these wonderous creatures. Then double check all of the accounts, the witnesses and your original historian sources, against the geographic and cultural maps of the day, just to be sure that most of the story is at least not contradictory to accepted history of the area.

Please present this so we can discuss the comparison and contrasting attributes to the gospel accounts of Jesus.
Quote:

Why not PROVE me to be incorrect about my assertions. I am plainly stating both here and in Gettysburg thread, that you and your fellow non-theists use falacious arguements in an attempt to invalidate ligitament historical records. If someone fairly applies the non-theists arguements to a similar historical event or person, the same questions and problems can be raised.

If you don't agree with me, then I once again invite you to join those on the Gettysburg thread in showing where my logic is flawed. All I am doing is applying your non-theist's arguments to the Gettysburg Address. Please join me.

Lastly, there is plenty of historical evidence for Jesus. Dozens of books full of it in fact. The fact that non-theists refuse to acknowledge it simply shows thier bias. A much more logical approach than simply asserting that there is no evidence, is to actually address and refute the evidence that is presented. Sometimes non-theists do attack the evidence. The rest of the time they simply do what you just did . . . .
You have yet to provide historical or archaeological evidence for Jesus,

I have provided over 180 microsoft word pages of arguments and evidence by myself, so I don't know how you can claim that there just simply isn't any evidence. This is a poor technique for arguing.

Buckeye

Post #37

Post by Buckeye »

We just witnessed a miracle a few weeks ago when Ted Haggard got cured of his homosexuality in like 30 days of intense prayer. LOL, you see, it's things like that that make me dubious.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by achilles12604 »

Buckeye wrote:We just witnessed a miracle a few weeks ago when Ted Haggard got cured of his homosexuality in like 30 days of intense prayer. LOL, you see, it's things like that that make me dubious.
And with good cause.