Religious freedom

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Religious freedom

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

A woman who belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is allowed to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo due to religious beliefs, the AP reports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /75862946/
A Portland man finally has his driver's license after a nine-month appeal for a religious exemption. The man, who goes by Bishop, wanted to wear a fox hat in order to honor his spirit animal.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... to_id.html

At what point does a society (or should a society) stop allowing religious freedom and start using common sense?
Have we reached this point yet? Or does it need to get worse before we stand up and use common sense in many attributes of society.

Monta
Guru

Re: Religious freedom

Post #21

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 20 by Masamune]

It appears we can create our own 'religion'.
It will be interesting to see what are we going to read next.
Religious jewelry out of bones, religious garlic lotion to keep bad spirits away,
walking naked as God created you is everyone's religious right especially in western countries where there is freedom of speech as well...mind boggles.

Donray
Guru

Post #22

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 20 by Masamune]

Religious jewelry out of bones, religious garlic lotion to keep bad spirits away,
walking naked as God created you is everyone's religious right especially in western countries where there is freedom of speech as well...mind boggles.
Of course people create there own religion. look at all the different Christian cults.

Christians have created jewelry from bones and stored them for display and worshipped them.

You failed to tell what facts you need that I have not given. Also what am I trying to convince everyone of?

Masamune
Student

Post #23

Post by Masamune »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 20 by Masamune]

This wouldn't really bother me though. I don't care what people believe. People have to find their own path, and I have no authority to judge them as long as they do not infringe on the rights of others.

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by SailingCyclops »

Monta wrote:It appears we can create our own 'religion'.
All religions were, and continue to be created by us humans.
Monta wrote:It will be interesting to see what are we going to read next.
All those things already exist. What's your objection to them? Their superstitious value is directly a result of religion. Why do you care? I could give two hoots if someone wants to shake their grandmother's bones over their food to cleanse it. It's amusing, just laugh and move on. That's what I do. Evil spirits -- devils -- charms -- gods -- angels -- all the same as garlic lotion. It's hilarious, laugh and move on!

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

Monta
Guru

Post #25

Post by Monta »

Youkilledkenny wrote: A woman who belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is allowed to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo due to religious beliefs, the AP reports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /75862946/
A Portland man finally has his driver's license after a nine-month appeal for a religious exemption. The man, who goes by Bishop, wanted to wear a fox hat in order to honor his spirit animal.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... to_id.html

At what point does a society (or should a society) stop allowing religious freedom and start using common sense?
Have we reached this point yet? Or does it need to get worse before we stand up and use common sense in many attributes of society.
While religions are downgraded, stupidity is allowed. This is one way to destroy 'religion'. You don't want God abiding citizens who know the difference between good and evil in a functional society.
Soon it shall be against the law to discriminate against spaghetti hats in Christian churches. Thank the good Lord this nonsense will not be allowed in Russian Christian church where dignity and respect for spiritual things remain.

Donray
Guru

Post #26

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote: While religions are downgraded, stupidity is allowed. This is one way to destroy 'religion'. You don't want God abiding citizens who know the difference between good and evil in a functional society.
Soon it shall be against the law to discriminate against spaghetti hats in Christian churches. Thank the good Lord this nonsense will not be allowed in Russian Christian church where dignity and respect for spiritual things remain.
Religion is being discarded as more and more people become educated. Religion cannot stand the objective questioning of its ideas.

What makes you think that understanding of good and evil comes from religion? Tell me objective moral values that your god will never forgive and a person will always go to hell. If a god can decide to forgive then that is not an objective moral value.

The bible tells us that rape is OK. God saved all the virgins for his army to do with as they please. RAPE. God teaches us that if someone pisses us off it is OK to kill them. God teaches us it is OK to kill babies by drowning or burning.

Religion teaches us it is OK to kill 50,000 to a million woman because religion says they are a witch. Have you every read about the Christin inquisition? That teaches that it is OK to torture people because they are not Christians.

At least you are pointing out that you are OK with laws that allow Christians to be bigots. Tell me why you would discriminate against a mental ill person that wares a strainer to your church.

Exactly what version of a Russian church do you belong.

Again, what facts have I not given?

KRBondar
Student

Post #27

Post by KRBondar »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

I fail to see "religion" in this photo, I only see a woman displaying her assets, possibly with the intention of ridiculing the the forum.
Kathie Bondar
author of 'Voices from the Parallel Universe'

Monta
Guru

Post #28

Post by Monta »

Donray wrote:
Religion is being discarded as more and more people become educated. Religion cannot stand the objective questioning of its ideas.
Does that mean our prisons are full of young people because
they've become educated?

Donray
Guru

Post #29

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Does that mean our prisons are full of young people because
they've become educated?
What does that have to do with what I said????? Please explain your logic on this.

A matter of fact, almost all the people in prison are religious and under educated so that goes along with what I said.

Donray
Guru

Post #30

Post by Donray »

Not only do Christians want to be bigots, there violence is at an all time high.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anti-a ... spartandhp