Mental imagery as non-physical experience

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Mental imagery as non-physical experience

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

On another thread, I argued that mental imagery is nonphysical in that it lacks physical characteristics. Some materialists disagreed offering nothing more than a future promise that we'll discover how they're "purely physical". Here's one description of a type of mental imagery:
A hallucination is a perception in the absence of external stimulus that has qualities of real perception. Hallucinations are vivid, substantial, and are perceived to be located in external objective space. They are distinguishable from these related phenomena: dreaming, which does not involve wakefulness; illusion, which involves distorted or misinterpreted real perception; imagery, which does not mimic real perception and is under voluntary control; and pseudohallucination, which does not mimic real perception, but is not under voluntary control.[1] Hallucinations also differ from "delusional perceptions", in which a correctly sensed and interpreted stimulus (i.e., a real perception) is given some additional (and typically absurd) significance.

Hallucinations can occur in any sensory modality—visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive and chronoceptive
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

My view is that the perception of mental images constitutes an experience of something non-physical. For those who think otherwise, please do the following:

Explain how or why the experience of hallucinations is physical or of something physical.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #51

Post by Divine Insight »

[Replying to post 47 by AgnosticBoy]

Come to think of it AgnosticBoy, you have just nailed it down in favor of materialism.

If brains were designed by some Spiritual Creator, then there would be absolutely no reason at all why blind people shouldn't be able to visualize mental images. After all, shouldn't all brains be "designed" the same way? :-k

The fact, that only brains that were able to physically see at birth bothered to create algorithms, or neural networks, capable of processing visual images, and brains that could not see did not create these algorithms pretty much seals the case for materialism.

Especially in terms your arguments concerning mental imagery.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #52

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 44 by AgnosticBoy]
How can someone physically perceive something that is NON-physical? If that is illogical to try to explain then why does Divine Insight continue on trying to argue that we can physically perceive 'mental images'?
Again, I think this confusion has to be at least partly due to the definitions you are using for physical and nonphysical. The first sentence of your quote above doesn't make any logical sense if a "NON-physical" thing is something like a mental image or an hallucination.

The process of perception is a physical process occurring in the brain. It doesn't matter whether an image is delivered to the brain via the eye, retina, optic nerve path (the end of that chain being stimulation of certain brain components via electrical and chemical signals), or whether it is delivered via recall and assembly of the appropriate memory elements needed to produce a "mental image" (the end of that chain also being stimulation of certain brain components via electrical and chemical signals).

Stimulation might not be the correct word to use, but the point is that the actual process of perception is a function the brain carries out as the end result of a process. The materialist in me is saying that this end process is a physical process, that may have more than one source of inputs (eyes, retina, optic nerve, or memory recall and reconstruction), both creating the perception of an image as the end result.

So to your specfiic question quoted above, as a materialist I would argue that the "physically perceive" part is the end process I just described in general terms (however it works at the molecular level), and that this can be termed a "physical process" simply because it involves the physical (electrical, chemical) interactions of brain components. If the image that is perceived is "NON-physical" in your dictionary, then it is created (the perception) by physical matter within the brain interacting in the complex way that these things operate to produce perception.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #53

Post by Divine Insight »

AgnosticBoy wrote: This was your argument:
Divine Insight wrote: Therefore you can remove the light, and the eye, and instead just send electrical signals to the proper places of the brain causing a person to "see" an image. And in this case the image is nothing more than electrical activity taking place in the brain
Hmmmm,... Using only the brain to "see"?????

You've backtracked from your argument after I refuted it with an argument along the following lines:

AgnosticBoy wrote: Blind people have brains, the thing that you were seemingly trying to argue was all that was really doing the perception. Now you've backtracked when you admitted that those born blind (while having a brain) have no visual perception. The brain by itself can not account for perception of physical images NOR mental images as you and DrNoGods are trying to argue!
No backtracking is required on my part.

I was talking about the normal case where humans can normally see. And this fits in precisely with that.

But then you brought up the evidence that people who are blind from birth never acquire this ability. That's not a problem. It's easy to explain why their brains never became wired or "programmed" to do that. Their brains never had any visual input to process, so their brains didn't develop those algorithms or "programs".

It's not a problem for my position and no backtracking is required.

In fact, when you pointed out that people who are blind from birth can't do this, that makes PERFECT SENSE in materialism.

But it makes NO SENSE in spiritualism.

So it's Materialism = 1, Spiritualism = 0

If you want to put it in those terms.
[center]Image
[/center]

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #54

Post by AgnosticBoy »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 44 by AgnosticBoy]
How can someone physically perceive something that is NON-physical? If that is illogical to try to explain then why does Divine Insight continue on trying to argue that we can physically perceive 'mental images'?
Again, I think this confusion has to be at least partly due to the definitions you are using for physical and nonphysical. The first sentence of your quote above doesn't make any logical sense if a "NON-physical" thing is something like a mental image or an hallucination.

The process of perception is a physical process occurring in the brain. It doesn't matter whether an image is delivered to the brain via the eye, retina, optic nerve path (the end of that chain being stimulation of certain brain components via electrical and chemical signals), or whether it is delivered via recall and assembly of the appropriate memory elements needed to produce a "mental image" (the end of that chain also being stimulation of certain brain components via electrical and chemical signals).

Stimulation might not be the correct word to use, but the point is that the actual process of perception is a function the brain carries out as the end result of a process. The materialist in me is saying that this end process is a physical process, that may have more than one source of inputs (eyes, retina, optic nerve, or memory recall and reconstruction), both creating the perception of an image as the end result.

So to your specfiic question quoted above, as a materialist I would argue that the "physically perceive" part is the end process I just described in general terms (however it works at the molecular level), and that this can be termed a "physical process" simply because it involves the physical (electrical, chemical) interactions of brain components. If the image that is perceived is "NON-physical" in your dictionary, then it is created (the perception) by physical matter within the brain interacting in the complex way that these things operate to produce perception.
Can you demonstrate that your theory of mental imagery and our perception of it (both of which I argue involve nonphysical features) is correct? And I mean can you provide scientific peer-reviewed evidence?

Also, can you build or point me to a computer that doesn't use monitors to display images? In a sense, a mental image would be equivalent to an "internal image" in a computer. Any scientific verifiable evidence?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #55

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 53 by AgnosticBoy]
Can you demonstrate that your theory of mental imagery and our perception of it (both of which I argue involve nonphysical features) is correct? And I mean can you provide scientific peer-reviewed evidence?
Without some concrete definition of what you are calling "nonphysical" I can't see how to get any farther with this. When you say "nonphysical features" what does that even mean in the context of the sentence above. A mental image, by definition, is the perception of an image by the brain. I wouldn't argue with the definition of something like that as "nonphysical" in the same way that a thought would be nonphysical, or the idea that you "like" a song, etc. These are words that describe things that cannot be touched, put in a box, weighed, etc. Do you mean "nonphysical features" in this way, or ???

What about "pain"? The sensation of pain if you drop a bowling ball on your foot is obviously created by the nerves carrying a signal to the brain from the foot, and the brain responds by creating a sensation that we call pain. But the word pain itself is "nonphysical" as it is simply a word we have assigned to this kind of sensation in order to describe it. But the processes involved in producing this sensation are all physical. If you look at something with your eyes, a similar process works where signals travel to the brain (via eye, retina, optic nerve) and the brain then creates the perception of the image via the physical processes that occur to make that happen.

A mental image eliminates the external sensory inputs and the image is reconstructed from memory elements as a similar physical process. Are you asking for proof that it happens this way, rather than some other way (which you've yet to describe ... what is your alternative explanation?). I expect there is a lot known about this process and if a "brain scientist" were participating he/she could no doubt give a more detailed and quantitative answer. But since we know that the brain can create the perception of many other things besides mental images (like pain, emotions, etc.) why would the creation of the perception of mental image be any different as far as a general process?
Also, can you build or point me to a computer that doesn't use monitors to display images? In a sense, a mental image would be equivalent to an "internal image" in a computer. Any scientific verifiable evidence?
What? I can't make any sense of this question at all. A computer produces an image on a monitor by (these days) lighting up certain pixels in a certain pattern that is defined by how those pixels are mapped to video memory locations, which is defined by the software that writes to the video memory. The arrangement of bits in video memory is correlated directly with the pattern in which the pixels on the monitor are activated, so in that sense you have the same information related to the image in two places at once (monitor pixels, and mapped video memory). So maybe your phrase "internal image in a computer" could somehow be related to that kind of a description (ie. it is the video memory rather than the monitor). You could take the video memory in the computer and send that via ethernet or some other means to another computer and recreate the image on another monitor, or print it on a printer, etc. Or just let it sit there as memory never producing an image per se, but containing the information to produce the image. But again, I can't decipher what you are asking although every aspect of how a computer produces an image is very well understood (otherwise we wouldn't have computers that could create them).
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #56

Post by AgnosticBoy »

DrNoGods wrote:
Without some concrete definition of what you are calling "nonphysical" I can't see how to get any farther with this. When you say "nonphysical features" what does that even mean in the context of the sentence above. A mental image, by definition, is the perception of an image by the brain. I wouldn't argue with the definition of something like that as "nonphysical" in the same way that a thought would be nonphysical, or the idea that you "like" a song, etc. These are words that describe things that cannot be touched, put in a box, weighed, etc. Do you mean "nonphysical features" in this way, or ???
Well an image is a representation of some aspect of the physical world. Mental imagery is not simply perception; the image would be the object of perception. Non-physical perception as I already defined earlier would be perception not involving our senses. Non-physical images would be images that lack physical properties.
DrNoGods wrote:What about "pain"? The sensation of pain if you drop a bowling ball on your foot is obviously created by the nerves carrying a signal to the brain from the foot, and the brain responds by creating a sensation that we call pain. But the word pain itself is "nonphysical" as it is simply a word we have assigned to this kind of sensation in order to describe it. But the processes involved in producing this sensation are all physical.
Mental imagery is not simply a word label. It's an actual phenomenon that has PHYSICAL effects on the body unlike simple labels. Secondly, I refer to it as nonphysical to distinguish it from physical images. In other words, mental imagery is not nonphysical because of being a simple word or label, but rather it is an actual phenomena that lack physical properties.
DrNoGods wrote:If you look at something with your eyes, a similar process works where signals travel to the brain (via eye, retina, optic nerve) and the brain then creates the perception of the image via the physical processes that occur to make that happen.
Noted. And notice that it wouldn't be correct to call "eyes" nonphysical just because it's a word or label. The word of course refer to our visual sensory organs.
DrNoGods wrote:A mental image eliminates the external sensory inputs and the image is reconstructed from memory elements as a similar physical process. Are you asking for proof that it happens this way, rather than some other way (which you've yet to describe ... what is your alternative explanation?). I expect there is a lot known about this process and if a "brain scientist" were participating he/she could no doubt give a more detailed and quantitative answer. But since we know that the brain can create the perception of many other things besides mental images (like pain, emotions, etc.) why would the creation of the perception of mental image be any different as far as a general process?
You're trying to draw an analogy between the way the brain creates physical images and connect it to how it creates mental images. That's a logical leap. In the first scenario, more than the brain is involved so I fail to see how you argue from perception involving more than the brain to perception produced by ONLY brain. The latter scenario would be like computers using only memory to create digital images when we know that is not the case since that information is transmitted to a monitor.
DrNoGods wrote:
What? I can't make any sense of this question at all. A computer produces an image on a monitor by (these days) lighting up certain pixels in a certain pattern that is defined by how those pixels are mapped to video memory locations, which is defined by the software that writes to the video memory. The arrangement of bits in video memory is correlated directly with the pattern in which the pixels on the monitor are activated, so in that sense you have the same information related to the image in two places at once (monitor pixels, and mapped video memory). So maybe your phrase "internal image in a computer" could somehow be related to that kind of a description (ie. it is the video memory rather than the monitor). You could take the video memory in the computer and send that via ethernet or some other means to another computer and recreate the image on another monitor, or print it on a printer, etc. Or just let it sit there as memory never producing an image per se, but containing the information to produce the image. But again, I can't decipher what you are asking although every aspect of how a computer produces an image is very well understood (otherwise we wouldn't have computers that could create them).
Your explanation is insufficient. We experience mental imagery in "image" form and not as non-extracted digital information.

This will be my last post on this topic.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #57

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 55 by AgnosticBoy]
The latter scenario would be like computers using only memory to create digital images when we know that is not the case since that information is transmitted to a monitor.
Computers DO use only memory as the primary source of the information needed to create a digital image. This memory can be mapped to a monitor thereby displaying an image, or to a printer (without ever being shown on a monitor), or it could just sit in memory and never be displayed on any device that a human could see with their eyes. So the "latter scenario" is indeed a reasonable analogy. In a mental image the memory elements are sitting there in the brain, analogous to how the video memory is in a computer (although probably not as well organized in one physical place given that we know several different parts of the brain are involved in various types of memory .... episodic, short term, long term, etc.), and the image can be brought into our perception by thinking of it. The process of "thinking" initiates whatever electrical and chemical sequences are needed to create perception of the image, but there is no reason to believe (at least from anything you have presented) that this process does not occur entirely within the brain without any external sensory inputs.
Your explanation is insufficient. We experience mental imagery in "image" form and not as non-extracted digital information.

Well that is that then. You've declared victory without any convincing arguments, but certainly no point in repeating the same things over and over again.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #58

Post by Divine Insight »

DrNoGods wrote:

Well that is that then. You've declared victory without any convincing arguments, but certainly no point in repeating the same things over and over again.

Actually our brains don't store "images" as digital information. Comparing our brains with precisely how digital computers work is an analogy that ultimately breaks down. Our brains are analog computers, not digital computers.

When our brain constructs a mental image it does precisely that. It "constructs" the image. It doesn't recall a stored digital version of it. In fact, this is why human "memory" cannot be trusted. Our brains "remember" by trying to reconstruct past experiences. And our memory can actually be changed. This has been proven from experiments.

The fact that our brains "construct" mental images rather than recalling them has pretty much been well established actually.

Consider the following experiment that has been done.

A group of people were shown a series of photos and then asked questions about them later to see what they could remember when they conjure up a mental image in their mind.

One example is a photo of a man wearing a hat. The people where then asked later whether the man in the photo was wearing a hat. Some people got it wrong and said, no, the man isn't wearing a hat. Therefore the image their brain had constructed was of a man who was not wearing a hat. This is clearly not a digital recall of the original image.

This experiment was quite involved and contained many photos and many questions to test how well people could remember things accurately.

An important thing to note here is that people's memories actually change as well. These people were questioned multiple times, and often gave answers that differed from their previous memory.

In fact, they took this further and after having shown people picture, they exposed them to a make-pretend "gossip group". This gossip group would discuss the photos with the group of people who had seen them. However, the gossip group was part of the experiment, and so they were planting false ideas about what was in the photos. This effected the memory of the group that had seen the photos.

As an example, the gossip group might have insisted that there was a sports car in the background behind the man wearing the hat, when in fact there was no sport car in the original photo.

The test group was then asked later to recall the pictured they had seen, and people were now saying that they "remember" seeing the sports car behind the man wearing the hat. In other words, they added a sports car into their mental image.

This proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the brain is creating these mental images on the fly.

The brain no doubt also uses the experiences of having actually seen real images, but it's clearly constructing the mental images when it recalls them mentally.

And the reason that people who are born blind can't do this at all is because their brains never had any visual images to work with at any point. Therefore there brain did not construct these elaborate image-construction algorithms or analog networks.

So the brain only works with what it has to work with. If it never had any visual input it's not going evolve circuitry to construct mental images. People have had vision at one point in their life and have then gone blind can still create mental images in their mind because their brains had already constructed those analog circuit.

The bottom line for me is that AgnosticBoy's arguments simply aren't addressing the facts. AgnosticBoy seems to think that all images must have something to do with light, photons and eyeballs. But that's simply not how the brain forms mental images.

However, it is true that if a brain had never been exposed to light, photons and eyeballs, it would have never developed this circuitry to form mental images.

But this only supports materialism.

In fact, if we were hypothesize that some magical creator had created human brains, then there would be no reason to think that a blind person couldn't form mental images. After all, wouldn't a purposefully designed brain already have that capability whether a person's physical vision worked or not?

So the fact that blind people never form circuitry to form mental images actually confirms the materialistic hypothesis on this specific issue.

The very thing that AgnosticBoy seems to think refutes materialism actually supports it very well.
[center]Image
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #59

Post by William »

[Replying to post 57 by Divine Insight]

On Memory...

If you were to have an experience and write it down strait away, and place this into a sealed container and then at least once a day think about that experience, going over it in your mind (as constructed) and did this for 20 years (perhaps not daily going over it, but now and again) then at the end of that time, write down your memory of the experience and then open the sealed container and take out the note about your experience, how different from the original note would your memory note of it 20 years later be, according to the theory that memory is not a reliable thing?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #60

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 58 by William]
... how different from the original note would your memory note of it 20 years later be, according to the theory that memory is not a reliable thing?
My guess is that it would depend on how complicated and intricate the original event was, how long the experience lasted, and how often you reinforced the memory by thinking about it. For example, if the experience was getting bitten by a snake (even a nonpoisonous one) and you only had to remember where you were bitten on the body and where you were when it happened, then I suspect that might be reliably remembered for 20 years even without any daily reinforcement. But if you had to also recall what you were wearing, what day of the week it was, what time of day it happened, etc. then those details may fade over time unless they were also part of the daily reinforcement event. But I would guess that the more details there are, the more likely to be a mistake in memory over time.

I've also read that repeated memorization events actually physically thicken the neurons involved and this seems to make certain memories more permanent and more reliably recalled. So as with all of these kinds of things, it probably isn't a simple answer. But I certainly can remember some notable events from my childhoon over 40 years ago pretty clearly in terms of generally what happened, but probably not the fine details, even without regular recall.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain