If There is no such thing as "Intelligent Design".

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

If There is no such thing as "Intelligent Design".

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If there is no such thing as "Intelligent Design", why do intelligent designers (scientists, inventors and engineers) look to Nature for inspiration?

Disclaimer: Please don't make this a thread about atheistic Evolution vs (six day) Biblical Creation, there are other possibilities and combinations to consider.

Some examples from a National Geographic article:

The science of biomimetics including,

-More efficient streamlining based on the structure of the boxfish. (Mercedes study)
-The thorny devil lizard, in effect drinking water through it's scales, actually whisking water via channels between it's scales to it's mouth. (for the irrigation of arid enviroments)
-burs inspired the design of velcro
-the waterproof properties of the lotus leaf is self-cleaning and has inspired "Lotosan" paint, said to better resist water and stains.
-sharkskin scales inhibit the growth and attachment of barnicles and is being studied for ways to treat the hull surfaces of navy ships to make them cleaner and faster.

And of course, the streamline shape of the Mako Shark in inspiring the Corvette. ;).

Of course there are many other examples of human invention being inspired by Natural (Intelligent?) design.

Granted, this is not proof of a creative Deity, (evidence, perhaps) but for debate, isn't it ironic that some very intelligent and creative people deny design in Nature while at the same time looking to it for inspiration?

And though National Geographic did not address Theistic or Deistic implications, are these examples evidence of at least a Deistic interpretation of the natural world?
Last edited by Elijah John on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

William
Savant

Re: If There is no such thing as "Intelligent Design&am

Post #71

Post by William »

[Replying to post 66 by Bust Nak]

Stephen (and others such as yourself) justifies cutting out contemplating this by saying;
Quote:
Events before the Big Bang, are simply not defined, because there's no way one could measure what happened at them.
So he is not saying (as you claim) that the BB always existed. He is clearly saying that event before that DID happen, but there is no way to measure those events, because - and these are now my words - the BB coming into existence effectively veiled those events, shielding them from us being able to define them in scientific terms.
He is also saying time itself begun with the BB, something that is timeless, is in your own words, eternal, even though you have since insisted that something with an end cannot be eternal.

Lets break that down.

I see in your reply you have avoided mentioning the object called Infinite Density, an object which has to be included in order to explain where the BB originated. How (by what means) the BB came into existence.

Now lets look at what you said above.
something that is timeless, is in your own words, eternal
That is the generic understand of eternal, yes.
even though you have since insisted that something with an end cannot be eternal.
That is also the generic understanding of eternal. That which is without beginning or end. That which has always existed.
(your use of the words 'even though' in that sentence implies there is a problem with that)
He is also saying time itself begun with the BB, something that is timeless
I see what you did there. You conflated something which is part of time and space with something that isn't.

Why don't you just admit that you have made a mistake? Then you will be able to reconfigure your ideas to better express truth.

As I explained in my last post, Stephen doesn't say that the BB is eternal. That is your claim. You are the one saying that the BB is eternal.

The Big Bang was the
event
that began time and space and like your conception - that was an event which began. And like all events, they derive from other events, and they pass, and become no more.

The BB is part of time and space, as an event which once happened. It was not an eternal thing. It is the very thing which is considered 'the beginning' because it is within time and space, and that being the case, it is not outside of/existing before time and space and so is not eternal as you have been claiming.

The object of infinite density (OID) was outside of/existing before time and space. If you want to argue THAT was eternal, by all means - do so.

But your claim that the BB is eternal, has been debunked.

In philosophical terms, "before" is an incoherent concept without the corresponding concept of time. In philosophical terms, incoherent concepts cannot exist.
We have time (and space) thus the concept of time is available to us, thus the concept of before time'space (this universe) is a coherent concept for philosophy. It is only incoherent in regard to scientific processes which require measurement.

Please refrain from further conflation.
Science fail. How about you wait until the BB is falsified first before claiming contradiction.
If something cannot be falsified, how is it even acceptable as a scientific theory? :-k
So stop claiming there is something that came before the BB. Simples.
According the the generic theory, the OID came before the BB otherwise, 'magical thinking'

The only way around that is for you to say the BB was a frozen moment suspended in no time or space and then - for reasons you would need to give, unfroze and began the motion of time and space and spewed forth its abundant energy and material creating time-space.

Only - well that wouldn't work either because the OID already holds that frozen position and the BB represents the unfrozen moment involved with that event, the event which heralded the beginning of time-space. unleashing energy and matter from the OID

Perhaps all along you have been arguing that the OID is eternal but because you don't seem to want to go there and acknowledge the OID because the OID represents an object existing before the beginning of time-space - you thought it better to conflate the event with the object the event originated from.

Is that it?
Since BB doesn't have a beginning, there is nothing before it.
BB doesn't 'have' a beginning, BB is the moment of the beginning. That is all BB is. A single moment, from one state - the OID (inert) - to the other (release of energy and material from the OID) the BB represents a singular moment.

One could argue of course, that that moment is still going on because the ripple effect could be seen as part of that process, but the argument would be incorrect because the moment has passed, and the result of that moment has moved on in the form of time-space energy and matter - all of which show - the moment has passed.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #72

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: Lets break that down.

I see in your reply you have avoided mentioning the object called Infinite Density, an object which has to be included in order to explain where the BB originated. How (by what means) the BB came into existence.
What are you talking about? How can something with no beginning be originated anywhere?
(your use of the words 'even though' in that sentence implies there is a problem with that)
Right, the implication is that something without a beginning but an end, is still eternal, but lets not get bog down with that again.
I see what you did there. You conflated something which is part of time and space with something that isn't.

Why don't you just admit that you have made a mistake?
Because there is no conflation, BB is not part of time and space, it is the beginning of spacetime.
As I explained in my last post, Stephen doesn't say that the BB is eternal. That is your claim. You are the one saying that the BB is eternal.
That's not important since we are still talking about something without a beginning. Whether that qualify as eternal or not is irrelevant. Something without a beginning, cannot have an explanation.
The Big Bang was the
event
that began time and space and like your conception - that was an event which began.
That's incoherent, something without a beginning cannot begin.
And like all events, they derive from other events, and they pass, and become no more.
If that was the case then that trivially necessitate an infinite regression. You mean effect, not event.
We have time (and space) thus the concept of time is available to us, thus the concept of before time'space (this universe) is a coherent concept for philosophy. It is only incoherent in regard to scientific processes which require
measurement.
Something "before" time existed is still incoherent in philosophy.
If something cannot be falsified, how is it even acceptable as a scientific theory? :-k
It cannot. Don't mistake unfalsified with unfalsifiable.
According the the generic theory, the OID came before the BB otherwise
No, there is no before BB according the generic theory.
The only way around that is for you to say the BB was a frozen moment suspended in no time or space and then...
Here is another alternative - there is no space or time at all, just as Hawking and I have been telling you.
Perhaps all along you have been arguing that the OID is eternal...

Is that it?
I don't know what exactly you have in mind by that, I might be? What I am arguing what Hawking is arguing, indeed, my entire thesis here is based on what Hawking said in that article, and his book "A Brief History of Time." Is that arguing the OID is eternal?
BB doesn't 'have' a beginning, BB is the moment of the beginning. That is all BB is. A single moment, from one state - the OID (inert) - to the other (release of energy and material from the OID) the BB represents a singular moment...
And hence can have no explanation, it's incoherent to as for an explanation something with no explanation, are we done?

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #73

Post by Waterfall »

Bust Nak wrote:
William wrote: Lets break that down.

What are you talking about? How can something with no beginning be originated anywhere?
Right, the implication is that something without a beginning but an end, is still eternal, but lets not get bog down with that again.

Why don't you just admit that you have made a mistake?
Because there is no conflation, BB is not part of time and space, it is the beginning of spacetime.
That's not important since we are still talking about something without a beginning. Whether that qualify as eternal or not is irrelevant. Something without a beginning, cannot have an explanation.
The Big Bang was the
event
that began time and space and like your conception - that was an event which began.
And like all events, they derive from other events, and they pass, and become no more.
If that was the case then that trivially necessitate an infinite regression. You mean effect, not event.
We have time (and space) thus the concept of time is available to us, thus the concept of before time'space (this universe) is a coherent concept for philosophy. It is only incoherent in regard to scientific processes which require
measurement.
It cannot. Don't mistake unfalsified with unfalsifiable.
According the the generic theory, the OID came before the BB otherwise
The only way around that is for you to say the BB was a frozen moment suspended in no time or space and then...
Here is another alternative - there is no space or time at all, just as Hawking and I have been telling you.
Perhaps all along you have been arguing that the OID is eternal...

Is that it?
I don't know what exactly you have in mind by that, I might be? What I am arguing what Hawking is arguing, indeed, my entire thesis here is based on what Hawking said in that article, and his book "A Brief History of Time." Is that arguing the OID is eternal?
BB doesn't 'have' a beginning, BB is the moment of the beginning. That is all BB is. A single moment, from one state - the OID (inert) - to the other (release of energy and material from the OID) the BB represents a singular moment...
And hence can have no explanation, it's incoherent to as for an explanation something with no explanation, are we done?
If the universe do not need a creator then why does a god? Is it because the universe is not intelligent? And a god is intelligent? Does that matter? There is something. Everybody can see that. But is there a god? Do we want to know? What would happen if there was no god? Does our moral comes from the fact that a god can do something about things? Can you take anything away from me that a god cannot give me back? What is there to be afraid of if there is a god? Should I be afraid of you? Why? Because, because, because...because I am drunk. Yes, there you have it...I am drunk again. I am here. I am there. I am everywhere. My brain is all over the place. Or is it just the beers. I am a strange person. Good and bad. Be good...well...I am trying. But, but, but...I am only 47 years old and living in a crazy world. Maybe its better to be bad? To be the devil himself? Obey me? Or be destroyed? Well...I do not want to obey you and I do not want to be destroyed...so what am I to do? Be joyfull...I have not come for you but for your children...someone has to suffer for your disobedience...what a great universe we are living in. Write his name down in the book of joy ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #74

Post by Goat »

Waterfall wrote:
Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 58 by Waterfall]

It's worth pointing out that a universe that sounds depressing to you, might not be depressing to someone else. While I can't choose which universe I live in, I also don't need to choose, since the universe I live in isn't depressing.
I understand this.

The universe is not depressing before we "accept" it to be depressing.

So the question must be...do we find a universe that does the same thing over and over again depressing? That there is no end to the suffering? No cure to the disease?
If that is all you want to look at, .. there are great things too. It is all a matter of attitude.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Donray
Guru

Post #75

Post by Donray »

[Replying to William]

It is not secondary. The universe must be created from something the BB explains the something, your god creations explains nothing. Big difference.

You are the one saying nothing existed but your god. Either your god created the universe from something or your god died and the universe ids created from it.

You want to ignore any questions that you cannot logically explain this typical of most Christians. When they cannot explain something it is a mystery that only god knows the answer.

For example where is heaven?

Where is hell?

What material is god from?

What does look like?

On and on about quiestions that you cannot answer about your god.

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #76

Post by Waterfall »

[Replying to post 73 by Waterfall]

I must not drink and write. Its a bad combination for me. Sorry about that. It will not happen again.

William
Savant

Post #77

Post by William »

[Replying to post 72 by Bust Nak]

Lets break that down.

I see in your reply you have avoided mentioning the object called Infinite Density, an object which has to be included in order to explain where the BB originated. How (by what means) the BB came into existence
What are you talking about?
Infinite Density as per the generic Big Bang theory.
How can something with no beginning be originated anywhere?
Why are you avoiding the subject of the object of Infinite Density (OID)?
If something without a beginning but with an end, then it cannot be said to be eternal.
Don't forget that you decided to assume the BB is eternal because I assumed that GOD had no beginning AND will have no end. Has always existed AND will always exist. The First Source is eternal.
BB is not part of time and space, it is the beginning of spacetime.
Therefore it is indeed and without a doubt, a part of time-space. Otherwise it is like saying that the beginning of a book is not part of the book, the beginning of a story is not part of the story. The beginning of something (in this case The Universe) is not part of that something.
The BB always existed is a ridiculous notion you have put forth, and one which I do not believe Stephan is claiming. It is more the case that you have chosen to interpret what he has said, to fit in with the ridiculous notion of your claim.
That's not important since we are still talking about something without a beginning.
No. YOU are talking about something without a beginning, YOU are claiming the BB had no beginning. I am talking about that being a ridiculous claim.
Whether that qualify as eternal or not is irrelevant.
Why shift the goalposts? Is it 'eternal' or not?
Something without a beginning, cannot have an explanation.
The universe had a beginning. That is called the BB. Therefore something which had a beginning CAN have an explanation, other than 'its not important' which is the same as saying 'it's magic', and who wants that?
Which is why your claim that the BB had no beginning, is incoherent. The BB IS the event which IS the beginning.
Events are effects.
In relation to infinite regression related to the OID - which you still stubbornly refuse to acknowledge as part of the generic theory of the BB - that is another subject - the theory of the universe always having existed in one form or another.

That requires expansion from the OID to something like an infinite inert field of space-time devoid of individuate matter and energy.
Problem with that is, what then allows it to return to (collapse) back into the OID state?

But like I say that is another subject.

THIS subject involves the OID existing before the BB happened, which began this universe.
Not at all. Something can indeed exist before time. That something had to be the OID. Space-time is part of the effect of the BB which itself came from the OID releasing the energy and matter. Philosophically thinking something existing before TIME, is coherent and logical. 'Magical thinking' on the other hand, is not.
Are you claiming that the notion of Infinite Density is not a generic part of the theory of the universes beginning?
How then did the idea of Infinite Density become associated with the BB theory?
The only way around that is for you to say the BB was a frozen moment suspended in no time or space and then - for reasons you would need to give, unfroze and began the motion of time and space and spewed forth its abundant energy and material creating time-space.

Only - well that wouldn't work either because the OID already holds that frozen position and the BB represents the unfrozen moment involved with that event, the event which heralded the beginning of time-space. unleashing energy and matter from the OID

Perhaps all along you have been arguing that the OID is eternal but because you don't seem to want to go there and acknowledge the OID because the OID represents an object existing before the beginning of time-space - you thought it better to conflate the event with the object the event originated from.

Is that it?
I must have missed that. There is no space, therefore, NASA and its SPACE program don't exist? But they do exist, therefore, some kind of conspiracy is going on?

There is no TIME, therefore, motion in relation to objects doesn't exist and cannot be measured using instruments supposedly designed for the purpose of measuring time?
Actually you haven't explained at all what you mean when you say the BB always existed up to the point where it stopped existing.

Nor until most recently have you inferred that the OID didn't exist. You replaced it with the BB, and stated the BB had always existed.

There is no coherency in that. Perhaps you might like to explain where the coherency is in the notion that the BB always existed, but the OID does not.

What? How is the above statement supposed to even represent anything coherent?

The best I can interpret your statement is "It was magic, okay?? Can we drop it now??"

No sir. It is not okay.

But yep, we are done.

I am not interested in theories which involve magical thinking, simply because "there is no coherent explanation we can come up with to explain the existence of the universe without having to include the logical assumption that it was created by an eternal being, obviously able to do so."

William
Savant

Post #78

Post by William »

[Replying to post 75 by Donray]
It is not secondary. The universe must be created from something the BB explains the something, your god creations explains nothing. Big difference.
The argument is that something must have been responsible for the Big Bang and that something is referred to as the object of Infinite Density.

In that, how the OID come into existence can only be logically explained as being created by an eternal being obviously able to do so.
You are the one saying nothing existed but your god.
It is not my GOD. It is the logical idea of an an eternal being, intelligent, creative and able.
You want to ignore any questions that you cannot logically explain this typical of most Christians. When they cannot explain something it is a mystery that only god knows the answer.
What question have I not answered? What haven't I been able to explain in relation to my theology?

Why are you bringing typical Christians into your argument?
For example where is heaven?

Where is hell?

What material is god from?

What does look like?

On and on about quiestions that you cannot answer about your god.
You are conflating Christian theology with my own. Do your homework before making such claims.

brunumb
Savant

Post #79

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 77 by William]
I am not interested in theories which involve magical thinking, simply because "there is no coherent explanation we can come up with to explain the existence of the universe without having to include the logical assumption that it was created by an eternal being, obviously able to do so."
Magical beings are not the product of any logical assumptions. Your whole argument still reduces to nothing more than inserting a god-of-the-gaps.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #80

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: Infinite Density as per the generic Big Bang theory.
The one without beginning?
Why are you avoiding the subject of the object of Infinite Density (OID)?
Because it appears to be the same thing as BB, the thing that I am not avoiding?
If something without a beginning but with an end, then it cannot be said to be eternal.
Don't forget that you decided to assume the BB is eternal because I assumed that GOD had no beginning AND will have no end. Has always existed AND will always exist. The First Source is eternal.
Why does that matter when something with no beginning can have no explanation?
Therefore it is indeed and without a doubt, a part of time-space. Otherwise it is like saying that the beginning of a book is not part of the book, the beginning of a story is not part of the story. The beginning of something (in this case The Universe) is not part of that something.
The beginning of a book need not be part of the book. There are other kinds of beginnings, it can be said that a book begin when an author had an idea to start writing a book.
The BB always existed is a ridiculous notion you have put forth, and one which I do not believe Stephan is claiming. It is more the case that you have chosen to interpret what he has said, to fit in with the ridiculous notion of your claim.
Then just deal with what he said, if you think what I am saying is somehow different to what he is saying. Forget everything I said and just address the article you linked, because I am trying to say the same thing he is saying.
No. YOU are talking about something without a beginning, YOU are claiming the BB had no beginning. I am talking about that being a ridiculous claim.
Right, "you" and "I" makes a "we." We are talking about something without a beginning: with me proposing it and you attacking it, hence "we." Why is this even contentious?
Why shift the goalposts?
Because apparently not having a beginning alone does not count as eternal to you. More to the point, it was never the goal, the goal has always been the something without a beginning logically cannot have an explanation.
Is it 'eternal' or not?
No.
The universe had a beginning. That is called the BB. Therefore something which had a beginning CAN have an explanation, other than 'its not important' which is the same as saying 'it's magic', and who wants that?
Nobody?
Which is why your claim that the BB had no beginning, is incoherent. The BB IS the event which IS the beginning.
That doesn't follow, the BB is the being the beginning of the universe does not mean the BB has a beginning.
Events are effects.
Why would you think that? Some events do not have a cause.
In relation to infinite regression related to the OID - which you still stubbornly refuse to acknowledge as part of the generic theory of the BB - that is another subject - the theory of the universe always having existed in one form or another.
Then why are you asking for an explanation of the universe if you acknowledges the theory says that the universe always having existed in one form or another?!
That requires expansion from the OID to something like an infinite inert field of space-time devoid of individuate matter and energy.
Problem with that is, what then allows it to return to (collapse) back into the OID state?
What collapse?!
Not at all. Something can indeed exist before time.
There is not "before" at all when time does not exist.
Are you claiming that the notion of Infinite Density is not a generic part of the theory of the universes beginning?
No.
How then did the idea of Infinite Density become associated with the BB theory?
With scientific observation and mathematics? I don't know what kind of answer you are fishing for here.
I must have missed that. There is no space, therefore...
Come on. I give you more credit than that.
Actually you haven't explained at all what you mean when you say the BB always existed up to the point where it stopped existing.
I meant what Hawking means. He is more articulate with words then I am.
What? How is the above statement supposed to even represent anything coherent?

The best I can interpret your statement is "It was magic, okay?? Can we drop it now??"

No sir. It is not okay.

But yep, we are done.

And yet there you are, proposing the idea that involve magical thinking, simply because "there is no coherent explanation we can come up with to explain the existence of the God without having to include the logical assumption that it was created by an eternal being, obviously able to do so."