Yes
17%

Total votes: 94

adherent
Apprentice

Harry Potter

Post #1

Post by adherent »

Do you think Harry Potter contains anti-Christian material?
Does it overall convey an anti-Christian feeling?
Shout to the Lord
All the earth
Let us sing
Power and majesty
Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your Name

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Quarkhead »

It's interesting - I've heard this sentiment before, but it seems misplaced. Of course Wicca has always had a certain relationship with Christianity - at least from the Christian point of view! What I fail to see is how it is any more 'anti-christian' than a movie about Buddhists or Muslims. Many Christians mistakenly equate Wicca with Satanism. But 'witches' are leftover from pre-Christian 'pagan' religions, which were demonized as a means of pressuring conversion among the various European tribes.

One thing that did bother me about the books was, on the one hand the wizards had so very little contact with, and knew really so little about the 'Muggles,' and yet they practiced all the "Christian" holidays. Oh well - artist's license, I suppose.

No, I don't see anything 'anti-Christian' here. Perhaps someone who answered 'yes' could explain why they think so? O:)

asajoseph
Student

Post #3

Post by asajoseph »

Certainly not.

Greg Koukl says it better than I could in this article.

http://www.str.org/free/commentaries/mi ... potter.htm

Jenchol
Student

Post #4

Post by Jenchol »

no way, even though it is about witchcraft all the themes are quite lighthearted.

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #5

Post by MagusYanam »

I think the entire 'debate' over Harry Potter comes down to a couple of paranoid fanatics looking for a scapegoat. Especially given that their author, Jo Rowling, is a conservative Presbyterian.

Most Christians think that Harry Potter books are well-written and teach good morals to children, and are in no way about religion. The magic is a backdrop for the characters and for the stories, which are well-developed and well-told. But in this, Harry Potter is no different from The Chronicles of Narnia or the Lord of the Rings trilogy (which, as we see, do not fall under the same condemnation Jo Rowling's books do).

Harry Potter anti-Christian? If anything, they're pro-.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Re: Harry Potter

Post #6

Post by Aristarkos »

adherent wrote:Do you think Harry Potter contains anti-Christian material?
Does it overall convey an anti-Christian feeling?
No. :D

If any Christians have a problem with the supernatural stuff, they would have to take part of the blame. Christians are the ones encouraging belief in the supernatural.

Have there been any complaints about "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"? :D

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by achilles12604 »

Most of my family is Christian and we have gone as a family to opening night of almost every movie. I have no problem with the films. They are fantastic fantasy.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Marishiten
Student

Post #8

Post by Marishiten »

I voted for NO, but even if it is...so what? Is the world ruled by the church? No. So why should everything in it be pro-Christian? Ultimately, if it offends you, don't watch/read it, instead of trying to ban the thng for your own selfish reasons.
As an Atheist, am I now supposed to kick up a stink about Christian oriented movies and such because they offend me? It would imply so, because aren't most people in some communities these days non-Christian?

Anyway, who came up with the whole concept of being in league with the Devil, witchcraft, and whatnot? Christianity.

Furthermore, some people take Harry Potter way to seriously. It's FICTION. Why don't they just leave it be? Also, it's about good vs. evil, and good always wins - what is wrong with children watching something like that? Is it going to scar them for life or something? Will Christian children suddenly decide they don't believe in God anymore? I don't see how.

scorpia
Sage

Post #9

Post by scorpia »

Ultimately, if it offends you, don't watch/read it, instead of trying to ban the thng for your own selfish reasons.
Just a note, while I agree that it isn't, and that the best idea is just simply not to watch if it is, just how is those who think it should be banned or whatever selfish? Technically, althought it may appear like dictatorship, a person who would restrict such entertainment would do so to help other people? Their POV would be that people who look at the stuff are harming themselves and it is their duty to save them, isn't it?
As an Atheist, am I now supposed to kick up a stink about Christian oriented movies and such because they offend me? It would imply so, because aren't most people in some communities these days non-Christian?
I think some already do

Marishiten
Student

Post #10

Post by Marishiten »

scorpia wrote:
Ultimately, if it offends you, don't watch/read it, instead of trying to ban the thng for your own selfish reasons.
Just a note, while I agree that it isn't, and that the best idea is just simply not to watch if it is, just how is those who think it should be banned or whatever selfish? Technically, althought it may appear like dictatorship, a person who would restrict such entertainment would do so to help other people? Their POV would be that people who look at the stuff are harming themselves and it is their duty to save them, isn't it?
They're selfish because THEY think it's wrong and harming, so therefore it MUST be to everyone else. Your statement just brings about thoughts in my head about those people trying to convert others to Christianity to save their souls or something like that. It's like the missionaries preaching and converting native peoples ... it's basicly implying: I'm right, you're wrong, you should follow what I follow so you can be saved. Things like that, the self-rightousness, makes me sick at times.