No Free Will? Is this a viable philosophy?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

No Free Will? Is this a viable philosophy?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Most people dismiss solipsism as simply being unworthy of consideration. Solipsism holds that only one person is having an experience and everything else (including all other people) are just an illusion in the mind of the one single person who is imagining life to exist.

Solipsism can't be disproved. We have no way to determine whether other people are actually having an experience. Yet, dispute the fact that it can't be disproved most people dismiss it as simply being a highly unlikely hypothesis. It just seems more rational to believe that all humans and even animals are actually having an experience just like us.

And this is a very rational position to take.

~~~~~

So now, what about the question of "Free Will"?

Is it rational to dismiss the concept and demand that there can be no such thing as "Free Will"?

Well, we can ask what that would mean.

If there is no such thing as "Free Will", then J.R.R. Tolkien had no choice but to write "The Lord of the Rings" precisely as he wrote it. He could not be credited with having any creativity because ultimately he didn't even come up with it. He was just doing what he deterministic had no choice but to do. Frodo Baggins and Gollum were determined to be characters in this fantasy billions of years ago. Potentially it was carved in stone at the Big Bang according to hardcore determinism.

Not only that, but the same it true of everything, including the Christian Bible. Every jot and tittle of the Bible would have needed to have been determined by the universe long before humans (who have no free will of their own) would be determined to write it out precisely as we see it today, including all of disagreeing versions.

Same is true of Greek mythology too, of course, and everything else that any human has ever done. Every song, comedy act, you name it. Everything would have needed to be predetermined from the dawn of time.

Question for debate, "Does this make any more sense than solipsism?"

Is it even remotely reasonable to hypothesize that humans have no free will, meaning that everything they do has already been determined ahead of time? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: No Free Will? Is this a viable philosophy?

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

Bust Nak wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: How can you say this until it's actually been resolved? :-k
I don't really know how to answer that, perhaps you can help by explaining why we can't say it can potentially be resolved until it has been resolved? We figure out how the brain works, see if it is equivalent to a deterministic machine or not and resolve the debate once and for all.
What you suggest here sounds simple enough on the surface. But what if it's not as simple as it sounds? The brain is not a simple machine.

Are you familiar with Chaos Theory? And in particular with the concept of Lyapunov time?

The reason I ask is because complex brain functions may ultimately fall under the behavior described by Chaos Theory. And I certainly have valid reasons to suggest that the Lyapunov time associated with even the most trivial of human thought processes may indeed be quite small. Potentially on the order of milliseconds or less. The reason I propose this is because of the millions of synapses involved in any brain activity. If there are indeed small quantum effects playing a role in synaptic activity (which is a reasonable assumption since these synapses communicate using subatomic entities, even molecules can exhibit quantum behavior), then the Lyapunov time associated with any given though could be extremely short.

In other words, human thought patterns may not be anymore deterministic than long range weather patterns.

If this is the case, then any hope of understanding "how the brain works" in terms of actual deterministic thought processes would be futile, because it's not deterministic.

What you suggest about understanding how the brain works sounds like you are already presuming that it will work very mechanically deterministic and we can follow every logical path precisely. But that may simply not be possible.

Although, having said all of the above, I do agree that it may be possible to determine that the brain is indeed non-deterministic. And in that case we will have at least shown that thought processes are "free" from determinism.

Precisely what that would mean in terms of a concept of "Free Will" is another question entirely. We might then ask if we are free from Chaos? I have thoughts on that question but it would be a side-track to go into that here.
Bust Nak wrote:
I think the argument I've given in the OP is already pretty strong that the world cannot be fully predetermined. And if it's not fully predetermined, then there must necessarily be events within the universe that are not fully deterministic.
To be frank, I see it as appeal to consequences, that boils down to "It would be bad if the world is fully predetermined, therefore it isn't fully predetermined." So what if everything that any human has ever done is predetermined from the dawn of time?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm not placing any judgement on whether anything would be "bad" or "good". I'm simply pointing out that every motion, action, (i.e. every jot and tittle to use an exact description) of every behavior of the universe would have needed to have been predetermined from the very beginning of time.

It's not that this is "good" or "bad", but rather it's highly improbable. In fact, established areas of Chaos Theory coupled with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, already tell us that this is not even possible.

So as far as I can see, pure determinism has already been proven to be an outdated obsolete idea. It's one of those purely philosophical notions that simply don't apply to the real world. No different from the philosophical idea of an infinitely old and static universe. That may be a valid philosophical thought, but it doesn't apply to the universe in which we live.

I would suggest that pure determinism is on the same level as the idea of a purely static eternal universe. We already know that this philosophical guess is wrong.
Bust Nak wrote:
However, is every "cause" determined? That is really the question. And the answer appears to be no, not every cause can be shown to have been determined. In fact, quantum mechanics demands that this must be the case.
Right, but there is still a question of if uncertainty in the quantum scale, translate to uncertainty in the macro scale. But that is yet another way to resolve the philosophical debate.
Chaos Theory demands that it must. So as far as I'm concerned, this has already been resolved. Uncertainty in the quantum scale most definitely translates into uncertainty on the macro scale. The question isn't whether or not this occurs, but rather the question is how long do quantum effects take to change macro systems.

In the case of something like the weather I would suggest that quantum effects would take a very long time to change the weather, simply because quantum effects would affect the current state of the weather in such a small way. Clearly the "butterfly effect" would have a much more profound effect. In other words, a butterfly flapping its wings is going to create a far greater atmospheric disturbance than any quantum events.

However, when we move into the brain this changes dramatically. The reason being that the very mechanisms a brain uses to process thoughts are highly dependent upon quantum entities (i.e. electrons, photos, and even molecular ions, etc.) all of which exhibit quantum behavior on a regular basis.

So it makes sense that quantum effects could have a huge affect on a thought process, even though they may only have a very tiny effect on the weather.

We can't view the functioning of the brain as being "removed" from the quantum world. That would be a mistake. Our brains are intimately connected with the quantum world. It could be said that within our brains we have one foot in the macro world, and one foot in the quantum world at all times.
Bust Nak wrote:
But it doesn't follow from this that everything must therefore be determined. And so a philosophy of pure determinism doesn't appear to have much support. There are clearly problems associated with pure determinism, as I have pointed out in the OP.
I said determinism makes more sense than solipsism because it can at least be resolved; Seems like you are going on further step then me, and is saying it does not make more sense because it has been resolved against its favor.
I believe that it has already been resolved against pure determinism. For the reasons I outlined above.

From my perspective it would be as naive to philosophically propose that the universe is deterministic as it would be to philosophically propose that the universe is infinitely old and static.

We simply have information about the universe now that makes both of those philosophical guesses simply incorrect.

In the OP I was attempting to appeal to a common sense layman approach. It should be enough to realize that if the world is deterministic then everything that happens would have needed to have been predetermined from the dawn of time. Surely you can see just how weird and spooky that would be?

In other words, humans had no choice but to believe in witches and believe that the only way to kill them is to burn them alive, etc. And all of this was predetermined from the dawn of time?

Surely you can see why I compared this with the idea of solipsism?

For one person to think that they are all that exist and all other people are just a figment of their imagination is something that most people reject as simply being utterly absurd.

Surely the idea that all of human history, and ever single person who lived and died, what they did was predetermined from the dawn of time is equally absurd?

In fact, in that kind of deterministic universe no one could be born or die so much as a second earlier or later than they actually do. Yet Chaos Theory already tells us that this is not the case. Stormy whether that has been responsible for the deaths of people would violate determinism right there.

The whether clearly isn't determined very far ahead of time. It's clearly free from determinism to a large degree. The human brain is no doubt free from determinism as well, and much more so than even the weather.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

Paprika wrote:
Question for debate, "Does this make any more sense than solipsism?"
What do you mean by 'make sense' or 'make more sense'?
In the context of this thread I simply mean it in the same way you would apply it to solipsism. (that's why I gave solipsism as a point of comparison)

Do you think solipsism makes sense?

Perhaps you do? Some people do feel that it is reasonable.

However, I think the overwhelming majority of people tend to feel that it makes more "sense" to believe that all humans are having an independent experience and that when you interact or converse with another human you are doing more than just having an interaction with a figment of your own imagination.

As I say, solipsism cannot be disproved. Therefore the question of this thread really is a question of what a person feels makes more "sense" to them.

Although, I would suggest further (as Bust Nak has suggested) that in the case of the brain being free from pure determinism we can actually point to evidence that demonstrates that it is. And I've outlined my reasons for this conclusion in my previous post.

So actually I think the question of "free will" (as defined as being free from pure detemrinism) has already been empirically answered. I would say that our thoughts are indeed free from pure determinism.

What that means to the question of "Free Will" is still unclear until we have a very precise and meaningful definition for what we mean by "Will".

What is it that has a "Will"?

I brought that up in the other thread and it was waved off as being irrelevant. However, it is my position that it's not irrelevant at all. On the contrary it's paramount to the question of free "Will". If we don't even know what it is that we are assigning a "Will" to, then the entire question becomes meaningless.

I certainly have thoughts on that, but that's clearly a whole separate topic (albeit one that needs to be resolved first).

By he way, I don't claim to have a resolution to that question. I merely claim to have given it some thought. ;)
[center]Image
[/center]

jgh7

Post #13

Post by jgh7 »

So does determinism negate free-will? Does it negate creativity?

Free-will to me is directly related to our ability to think. It is literally synonymous to me with thinking. "I think therefore I am". Free-will is nothing more than thinking, and our ability to think is independent of whether the world is deterministic or not.

Creativity is thinking of something new (a very rudimentary and possibly poor definition, but I'll stick to it). I don't think determinism negates creativity either.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #14

Post by Divine Insight »

jgh7 wrote: So does determinism negate free-will? Does it negate creativity?

Free-will to me is directly related to our ability to think. It is literally synonymous to me with thinking. "I think therefore I am". Free-will is nothing more than thinking, and our ability to think is independent of whether the world is deterministic or not.

Creativity is thinking of something new (a very rudimentary and possibly poor definition, but I'll stick to it). I don't think determinism negates creativity either.
Well, if determinism were true (which I don't think is even remotely possible) then anything "new" that you thought you came up with would have actually been predetermined in any case. Therefore your very "creativity" would actually be determined in advance. In short, you wouldn't have been able to do anything different.

I personally don't buy into the idea that every thought is predetermined by the previous state of things. I believe that we do indeed have free will and our "creativity" is truly spontaneous. However, what I "believe" is irrelevant. This is why I address the evidence for it rather than merely stating what I "believe" to be true. ;)

And of course, even though our creativity is spontaneous, it's also no doubt limited by our current situation. In other words, it's not likely that a plumber is going to come up with a creative new way to do brain surgery, simply because a plumber isn't working on brains and therefore isn't likely to even remotely be thinking along those lines.

So even our creativity is going to be influenced by our current knowledge, and situation. But that doesn't mean that it needs to be fully determined by it in every detail.
[center]Image
[/center]

jgh7

Post #15

Post by jgh7 »

If you're deterministic, then certain brain activity determines all of your thoughts. If you're not deterministic, then some or all of your thoughts are what determine certain brain activity.

That is the closest link I can think of to determine if determinism is true or not.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #16

Post by Divine Insight »

jgh7 wrote: If you're deterministic, then certain brain activity determines all of your thoughts. If you're not deterministic, then some or all of your thoughts are what determine certain brain activity.
I don't think there can be any doubt that both of these conditions are simultaneously true. The brain is no doubt a dynamic feedback system where the results of thoughts have a very large affect one what thoughts will arise next.

In fact, the Buddhists have no doubt studied this phenomenon far longer than anyone and they have come to some pretty interesting insights. Not the least of which is that we can actually detach ourselves from our thoughts. Opening up the question of precisely what "we are". After all, we cannot ourselves be a though. ;)

The "I" of the mind is clearly not itself a thought. It is the thing that perceives all thoughts. If we have free will it is the "I" that has free will. This is why it is paramount to understanding the nature of "I" before we can even discuss whether "I" am free or not. ;)

Is the "I" free to chose which thoughts to act on? The Buddhists say "I" am free.
[center]Image
[/center]

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 4 by Divine Insight]
Divine Insight wrote:
I think the argument I've given in the OP is already pretty strong that the world cannot be fully predetermined.
I didn't see an argument.

What I read was your incredulity about a strange kind of consequence that you cannot prove. If you make an argument, I will be very glad indeed to read it over very carefully.

Cheers.

Miles
Savant

Post #18

Post by Miles »

jgh7 wrote: If you're deterministic, then certain brain activity determines all of your thoughts. If you're not deterministic, then some or all of your thoughts are what determine certain brain activity.
Determinism is the assertion that all events, physical and even thinking, are caused. If one wants to claim an event, picking up a golf tee or a thought about baleen whales, is not caused then one is left with explaining how such events come about. The only other "reasonable" operation that's ever been posited is absolute randomness, and because this has never been shown to operate at the super-atomic level, the one at which our brain operates and common events (those which we measure with yard sticks, weight scales, thermometers, etc.) occur, it's readily dismissed--by thoughtful people anyway.

From what I've read almost all people abhor the notion that our life is a deterministic one, some getting so upset that they stop thinking straight and come out with a tap dance that makes no sense whatsoever. Most often this is will be a barrage of irrational irrelevancies, taking the issue into a black hole of no return. So, when discussing the issue with others don't let your conversation get bogged down in off topic issues. Keep it on track, stay focused, and it may even be fruitful.

BTW, it should be noted that some people who believe in free will and reject determinism, will offer up randomness, quantum randomness most likely, as the operative agent. Of course this does absolutely nothing to help free will. If randomness was truly at work we would be blobs of randomly assembled particles spouting gibberish. Randomness is the fool's answer to the bane of determinism.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #19

Post by Divine Insight »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Divine Insight]
Divine Insight wrote:
I think the argument I've given in the OP is already pretty strong that the world cannot be fully predetermined.
I didn't see an argument.

What I read was your incredulity about a strange kind of consequence that you cannot prove. If you make an argument, I will be very glad indeed to read it over very carefully.

Cheers.
Exactly what kind of an argument were you expecting? :-k

I thought I made it crystal clear that the argument I was making in the OP was precisely the very SAME argument that people use to reject solipsism.

There is no well-defined logical argument against solipsism. You either accept it on faith or reject it on faith. Pure and simple.

However, most people would argue that they don't even feel that solipsism is "reasonable". But like I say, there are no logical reasons why it can't be true.

So it appears to me that you were seeking some other type of argument than offered in the OP. I can certainly provide those types of arguments as well, but I didn't think they would be necessary for the intended scope of this thread.

Comparing free will with solipsism is the point of this this thread. ;)

We can't prove or disprove either one. So at this point all we can offer is our own intuitive reasons why we lean toward believing one or the other.

I think the reason I gave in the OP should be sufficient.

Believing in the non-existence of free will would be as absurd as believing in solipsism.

Of course, if a person actually believes in solipsism then this thread isn't going to be very compelling. ;)
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #20

Post by Divine Insight »

Miles wrote: BTW, it should be noted that some people who believe in free will and reject determinism, will offer up randomness, quantum randomness most likely, as the operative agent. Of course this does absolutely nothing to help free will. If randomness was truly at work we would be blobs of randomly assembled particles spouting gibberish. Randomness is the fool's answer to the bane of determinism.
The fallacy of this argument is that it assumes a secular materialistic existence.

Clearly the objection that Miles has given here does not apply if there actually is an agent making decisions. Then the mere "availability" of random choices opens up the world of "Free Will".

The mistake that Miles is making here is assuming his premise of a purely secular materialistic existence. He therefore can only see quantum randomness as yet another "cause", because he's not allowing for an actual agent that can make the choices.

So his premise of a purely materialistic world forces his conclusions.

Apparently he doesn't seem to realize that this very own premise is forcing his conclusions.
[center]Image
[/center]