How many religions came from America?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How many religions came from America?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible. What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

oldbadger
Guru

Re: How many religions came from America?

Post #61

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:42 pm
I doubt they teach Jesus' truths.
Have you judged Unitarian churches and creeds without investigating them?

Question:-. Do you think that every verse in the gospels is true?

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #62

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:36 am
kjw47 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:42 pm
I doubt they teach Jesus' truths.
Have you judged Unitarian churches and creeds without investigating them?

Question:-. Do you think that every verse in the gospels is true?

Which bible do they use? There are many errors in trinity translation, did they fix them all?

oldbadger
Guru

Post #63

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:20 pm
Which bible do they use? There are many errors in trinity translation, did they fix them all?
The Unitarian churches? I don't know, kjw47, but I have no doubts that their gospels are full of contradictions, translation difficulties and more.
But your New World gospels are full or similar contradictions as well. Would you like an example? The earliest copies of the gospel of Mark chapter 1 verse 1 do not include 'Son of God' so your translators would know about that, but they still left those words in your bible.... so we know that the New World translation is keeping later additions.

About translations....... I don't know who produced the NW translation, but since that translation certainly never set out from the Eastern Aramaic which Jesus and his spoke, then I have no reason to believe that this is perfect. Another problem is that the gospels got fiddled with, edited, adjusted, added to, and they were then translated by people who didn't understand the way that Galilean peasants and boatmen thought.

And translators have been rather biased in the past. There is an Aramaic word for 'swim' which also means 'to go' or 'to walk'...... I wonder whether Jesus was a very powerful swimmer rather than a walker on water? And Simon's nickname 'Cephas'...did Jesus think of a church foundation stone or an anchor when he called Simon that? And I wonder why Christians call Cephas 'Peter', because neither Jesus nor Simon ever knew that name themselves. etc etc

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #64

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:42 am
kjw47 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:20 pm
The Unitarian churches? I don't know, kjw47, but I have no doubts that their gospels are full of contradictions, translation difficulties and more.
But your New World gospels are full or similar contradictions as well. Would you like an example? The earliest copies of the gospel of Mark chapter 1 verse 1 do not include 'Son of God' so your translators would know about that, but they still left those words in your bible.... so we know that the New World translation is keeping later additions.

About translations....... I don't know who produced the NW translation, but since that translation certainly never set out from the Eastern Aramaic which Jesus and his spoke, then I have no reason to believe that this is perfect. Another problem is that the gospels got fiddled with, edited, adjusted, added to, and they were then translated by people who didn't understand the way that Galilean peasants and boatmen thought.

And translators have been rather biased in the past. There is an Aramaic word for 'swim' which also means 'to go' or 'to walk'...... I wonder whether Jesus was a very powerful swimmer rather than a walker on water? And Simon's nickname 'Cephas'...did Jesus think of a church foundation stone or an anchor when he called Simon that? And I wonder why Christians call Cephas 'Peter', because neither Jesus nor Simon ever knew that name themselves. etc etc

There are no contradictions in the bible. You have no clue if they called him Peter back then.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #65

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:04 pm
There are no contradictions in the bible. You have no clue if they called him Peter back then.
Contradictions in the bible? I only concentrate upon the gospels, but read so many contradictions within just those.
In earlier posts you mentioned that you focus mostly upon verses connected to 'eternal life' and not the day-by-day actions of Jesus; maybe that's why you have not noticed the contradictions?

I think not, kjw47.
Jesus called Simon BarJonas 'Cephas'.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #66

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:52 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:04 pm
Contradictions in the bible? I only concentrate upon the gospels, but read so many contradictions within just those.
In earlier posts you mentioned that you focus mostly upon verses connected to 'eternal life' and not the day-by-day actions of Jesus; maybe that's why you have not noticed the contradictions?

I think not, kjw47.
Jesus called Simon BarJonas 'Cephas'.

Show me contradictions in the gospels.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #67

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:08 pm Show me contradictions in the gospels.
That sometimes happens....... people say 'Show me!'.....
OK, but there are scores of examples and I can only present these one at a time; I hope that is reasonable for you.
Well.... which to pick.... ok, something easy. In this example I want to quote from Acts as well as a gospel; I hope you'll let me use this one. If not, please just tell me that Acts doesn't count and I'll pick another. :)

Matthew {27:3} Then Judas, which had betrayeth him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, {27:4} Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What [is that] to us? see thou [to that. ]{27:5} And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. {27:6} And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. {27:7} And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in. {27:8} Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

Acts {1:16} Men [and] brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning
Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. {1:17} For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. {1:18} Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. {1:19} And it was
known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #68

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:35 am
kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:08 pm Show me contradictions in the gospels.
That sometimes happens....... people say 'Show me!'.....
OK, but there are scores of examples and I can only present these one at a time; I hope that is reasonable for you.
Well.... which to pick.... ok, something easy. In this example I want to quote from Acts as well as a gospel; I hope you'll let me use this one. If not, please just tell me that Acts doesn't count and I'll pick another. :)

Matthew {27:3} Then Judas, which had betrayeth him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, {27:4} Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What [is that] to us? see thou [to that. ]{27:5} And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. {27:6} And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. {27:7} And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in. {27:8} Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

Acts {1:16} Men [and] brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning
Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. {1:17} For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. {1:18} Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. {1:19} And it was
known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

It was his money that bought the field, he did not personally buy it as Matt shows.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #69

Post by Difflugia »

kjw47 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:44 pmIt was his money that bought the field, he did not personally buy it as Matt shows.
Then Matthew contradicts Acts. Acts says that Judas bought the field. Matthew says that the priests did. Only one of them can be true.

This has been discussed before.

ETA: Here's a second discussion.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #70

Post by kjw47 »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:08 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:44 pmIt was his money that bought the field, he did not personally buy it as Matt shows.
Then Matthew contradicts Acts. Acts says that Judas bought the field. Matthew says that the priests did. Only one of them can be true.

This has been discussed before.

ETA: Here's a second discussion.

The bible is written in mysterious ways, not to contradict, but to ponder and realize truth.