"God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christians

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

HandsRaised
Student
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

"God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christians

Post #1

Post by HandsRaised »

Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

I simply want to worship God in song and praise -- as I do in private -- with other believers as well. That basically limits me to worshiping with Christians since I come from that religion and there are no other options here.

I'm conflicted on how I can honestly worship with Christians -- if I must hide the essential truth that I worship "God-only" -- directly -- and I'm offended by the idea of a "mediator" (Christian Scripture notwithstanding). I'm quite satisfied that we worship the same God -- and that none of us have the whole Truth because it's not for mortal men.

Please, my stance is not up-for-debate -- only whether I can honestly worship freely with "Jesus-People" -- or must I worship honestly -- in the shadows.

User avatar
Goat
Site Supporter
Posts: 24864
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #2

Post by Goat »

HandsRaised wrote:Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

I simply want to worship God in song and praise -- as I do in private -- with other believers as well. That basically limits me to worshiping with Christians since I come from that religion and there are no other options here.

I'm conflicted on how I can honestly worship with Christians -- if I must hide the essential truth that I worship "God-only" -- directly -- and I'm offended by the idea of a "mediator" (Christian Scripture notwithstanding). I'm quite satisfied that we worship the same God -- and that none of us have the whole Truth because it's not for mortal men.

Please, my stance is not up-for-debate -- only whether I can honestly worship freely with "Jesus-People" -- or must I worship honestly -- in the shadows.


Considering that you reject the concept that is central to most Christian worship, I don't think you can 'honestly' pray with them in silence.

However, that does not mean you have to 'worship honestly' in the shadows either. You can look at the Universal Unitarians for example, who have a wide variety of beliefs.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

HandsRaised
Student
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #3

Post by HandsRaised »

goat wrote:
HandsRaised wrote:However, that does not mean you have to 'worship honestly' in the shadows either. You can look at the Universal Unitarians for example, who have a wide variety of beliefs.
Years ago -- they seemed restrained in their worship -- by a "least common denominator" problem. Great idea they have -- with constraints. I might offend others with my hands-raised approach to worship.

Jews worship "God only" right? The layers of Jewish tradition and Law might be too cumbersome for me though (as fascinating as it is).

Joel Osteen -- via the internet "live" -- is wonderful for me. I weep to see hundreds of hands raised in worship -- and the song worship is so inspirational ( re: ) Still, I twitch when I need to substitute the word "Jesus" with the word "God" -- to stay on track with the message. Easter is pretty rough as a metaphor.

Am I relegated to the ranks of "virtual worshipers?".

User avatar
ChaosBorders
Site Supporter
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am
Location: Austin

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #4

Post by ChaosBorders »

HandsRaised wrote:
goat wrote:
HandsRaised wrote:However, that does not mean you have to 'worship honestly' in the shadows either. You can look at the Universal Unitarians for example, who have a wide variety of beliefs.
Years ago -- they seemed restrained in their worship -- by a "least common denominator" problem. Great idea they have -- with constraints. I might offend others with my hands-raised approach to worship.

Jews worship "God only" right? The layers of Jewish tradition and Law might be too cumbersome for me though (as fascinating as it is).

Joel Osteen -- via the internet "live" -- is wonderful for me. I weep to see hundreds of hands raised in worship -- and the song worship is so inspirational ( re: ) Still, I twitch when I need to substitute the word "Jesus" with the word "God" -- to stay on track with the message. Easter is pretty rough as a metaphor.

Am I relegated to the ranks of "virtual worshipers?".
On what points do you agree with Christianity concerning the nature of God? I was in a similar situation to yours for quite some time, but my beliefs have since changed such that I can be much more open about my points of agreement and generally just neglect to mention the points I disagree on. I generally don't like saying (or singing) the word 'Jesus' (for different reasons) but no one has yet to notice (or care if they have) that I avoid the word.

I can understand the annoyance of 'twitching' when one has to substitute a word, but it'll probably end up depending on how important any personal relationships you have at the church are to you as to whether it is worth putting up with the inconvenience.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein

The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis

HandsRaised
Student
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #5

Post by HandsRaised »

Chaosborders wrote:On what points do you agree with Christianity concerning the nature of God? ...I can understand the annoyance of 'twitching' when one has to substitute a word, but it'll probably end up depending on how important any personal relationships you have at the church are to you as to whether it is worth putting up with the inconvenience.
...hmm...the Trinity. Moslems resent the God of the "Trinity" being compared to the God of Abraham. Perhaps the Jews do too? So in truth, I'm only ignoring that issue -- because it rarely comes-up.

I'm simply assuming that we Humans are basically retarded -- in comparison to God and Truth. So I can easily ignore the layers of traditional dogma -- unless it's constantly heaped on me -- with penalties for dissent. The dogma concerning "Jesus" is the one part of Christianity that's hard to ignore. Jesus was not the 1st "death-burial-resurrection" myth in history -- just the only one that stuck.

Now I sound argumentative :( I graduated from a "Bible School" -- I know how grevious this all seems - but I must be true to my "redeemed" heart. Pray that I find the fellowship I seek. I trust God will work out the details.

User avatar
ChaosBorders
Site Supporter
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am
Location: Austin

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #6

Post by ChaosBorders »

HandsRaised wrote:
I'm simply assuming that we Humans are basically retarded -- in comparison to God and Truth.
Probably a very good assumption.
HandsRaised wrote: Pray that I find the fellowship I seek. I trust God will work out the details.
Will do.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein

The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis

bjs
Prodigy
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #7

Post by bjs »

Jesus is the center and foundation of Christianity, so I don’t think you can honestly participate in Christian worship while ignoring Jesus. Based on what you have written, I can think of two options you could consider:

1. Go to a church anyway. Find a church you like, worship there, and be honest about where you are in your spiritual journey. Maybe talk to the minister. Tell him/her about yourself and what you believe. Most decent ministers (at least the ones I have known) won’t let you be an elder or anything, but would welcome you to worship with the congregation. You will still have to deal with a lot of talk about Jesus, but if you can accept other people’s beliefs without objection then I doubt you will encounter any big problems.

2. Find a different religion. In this case the questions is: What do you believe about Jesus? Christian doctrine says that he is God. Do you think he was a prophet? An angle? Just some random guy? What do you believe about the teachings of the Bible in general? If you live in the USA, and are willing to drive a little, then you can probably find a religious group that believes just about anything. Find a group that agrees with your beliefs and worship with them. I agree with Goat that Unitarians would probably be the best place to start.

Best of luck.

User avatar
Alethos
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #8

Post by Alethos »

HandsRaised wrote:Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

I simply want to worship God in song and praise -- as I do in private -- with other believers as well. That basically limits me to worshiping with Christians since I come from that religion and there are no other options here.

I'm conflicted on how I can honestly worship with Christians -- if I must hide the essential truth that I worship "God-only" -- directly -- and I'm offended by the idea of a "mediator" (Christian Scripture notwithstanding). I'm quite satisfied that we worship the same God -- and that none of us have the whole Truth because it's not for mortal men.

Please, my stance is not up-for-debate -- only whether I can honestly worship freely with "Jesus-People" -- or must I worship honestly -- in the shadows.
Good Morning to you ~

To worship the only true God means that you do not worship "in the shadows" but bath in the light. Jesus worshiped the only true God and we should as well. To me ~ according to my understanding we are to "honor" Jesus as we honor His Father in Heaven. This does not mean worship Jesus as we worship His Father.

I can understand your dilemma. Through time the traditions and dogma (doctrine) of man has claimed that the truth of the matter is that Jesus is God, 100% and fully God. What cannot be denied is that Jesus never once spoke the words " I am God". He always directed worship towards His Father, His God. The Book of John, Chapter 17 (entire Chapter) offers validation for whom Jesus worshiped and a strong message to those who do follow His straight and narrow path... that leads toward and to His Father.

Jesus is the example we are to follow. To worship Jesus as we are to worship His Father is to worship an image. I worship the only true God ~ the same God that Jesus worshiped and still acquiesces to, and always will acquiesce to.

In the end it matters not what our fellow man may think of us. They are not the final Judge that we should be concerned with. God does not look upon the outside of the vessel but upon our hearts and minds.. what lives deep within our souls. We are only responsible for and will answer for our own actions one day. Though we may walk in a crowd ~ it is still a solitary path that we are on as we strive to grow closer to God.

Please don't feel that you must worship in the shadows.. Let your light shine brightly.. for bright it is. I offer you two verses that may give you some comfort:
M't:7:13: Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

M't:7:14: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

User avatar
justifyothers
Site Supporter
Posts: 1764
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 4:14 pm
Location: Virginia, US

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #9

Post by justifyothers »

Alethos wrote:
HandsRaised wrote:Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

I simply want to worship God in song and praise -- as I do in private -- with other believers as well. That basically limits me to worshiping with Christians since I come from that religion and there are no other options here.

I'm conflicted on how I can honestly worship with Christians -- if I must hide the essential truth that I worship "God-only" -- directly -- and I'm offended by the idea of a "mediator" (Christian Scripture notwithstanding). I'm quite satisfied that we worship the same God -- and that none of us have the whole Truth because it's not for mortal men.

Please, my stance is not up-for-debate -- only whether I can honestly worship freely with "Jesus-People" -- or must I worship honestly -- in the shadows.
Good Morning to you ~

To worship the only true God means that you do not worship "in the shadows" but bath in the light. Jesus worshiped the only true God and we should as well. To me ~ according to my understanding we are to "honor" Jesus as we honor His Father in Heaven. This does not mean worship Jesus as we worship His Father.

I can understand your dilemma. Through time the traditions and dogma (doctrine) of man has claimed that the truth of the matter is that Jesus is God, 100% and fully God. What cannot be denied is that Jesus never once spoke the words " I am God". He always directed worship towards His Father, His God. The Book of John, Chapter 17 (entire Chapter) offers validation for whom Jesus worshiped and a strong message to those who do follow His straight and narrow path... that leads toward and to His Father.

Jesus is the example we are to follow. To worship Jesus as we are to worship His Father is to worship an image. I worship the only true God ~ the same God that Jesus worshiped and still acquiesces to, and always will acquiesce to.

In the end it matters not what our fellow man may think of us. They are not the final Judge that we should be concerned with. God does not look upon the outside of the vessel but upon our hearts and minds.. what lives deep within our souls. We are only responsible for and will answer for our own actions one day. Though we may walk in a crowd ~ it is still a solitary path that we are on as we strive to grow closer to God.

Please don't feel that you must worship in the shadows.. Let your light shine brightly.. for bright it is. I offer you two verses that may give you some comfort:
M't:7:13: Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

M't:7:14: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
I was going to say something very similar, but not as eloquently! I agree with Alethos and it's nice to see that some others feel the same way I do :)
Jesus never claimed to be God, our only savior and never asked to be worshipped.

Handsraised - be true to yourself, not others. I don't go to church anymore because of the hypocrisy - also, I live out in the boonies, so selection is limited.

TheFoolForHimAboveAll
Student
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:41 am

Post #10

Post by TheFoolForHimAboveAll »

I can understand your dilemma. Through time the traditions and dogma (doctrine) of man has claimed that the truth of the matter is that Jesus is God, 100% and fully God. What cannot be denied is that Jesus never once spoke the words " I am God". He always directed worship towards His Father, His God. The Book of John, Chapter 17 (entire Chapter) offers validation for whom Jesus worshiped and a strong message to those who do follow His straight and narrow path... that leads toward and to His Father.
BEEP BEEP BEEP! Fallacy!

16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me. 17 Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; Isaiah 48:16-17

"baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19).

Note how Jesus always cast out demons, cured the sick, and did miracles in His own name. Also, on several occasions Jesus deliberately said; "I AM". This would never have been taken lightly by any Jew of Jesus' time.

Think! Take for example Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.� When first encountered, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, when we look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement, “For a good work we stone thee not; replied the Jews, but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.[/b]� (John 10:33). Now we see an actual claim. The Jews understood Jesus’ statement to be a claim to be God. In the following verses, Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying, “I did not claim to be God.� That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring, [b]“I and the Father are one� (John 10:30).

John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, "I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. " Again, in response, the Jews take up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Why would the Jews want to stone Jesus if He hadn’t said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God? John repeatedly tells us of the Lord's connection to "I Am". See John: 4:26, 8:24, 8:28, 8:58,and 13:19. The Apostle Paul tells us that Jesus "..is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist." (Colossians 1:15-17)

John 1:1 says that “the Word was God.� John 1:14 says that “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us� This clearly indicates that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, "...Be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood." Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. Acts 20:28 declares that God purchased the church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

To try and grasp the Trinity, first understand that God the Father the Son and Holy Spirit are Spirit, light, awesomeness, power, justice and love -- and He in no way conforms to a human's understanding. Jesus told us God is Spirit. Shine two beams of light on the same spot, and you have the light of one, separate, yet also the same as the others.

Next, try to grasp Jesus' nature as being both totally human and totally God. To help you with this consider these paradoxes by early church father Gregory of Nazianzus (329-390 A.D.). Gregory used these to argue against Arianism.

"He was baptized as a man -- but He remitted sins as God...He was tempted as man, but he conquered as God...He hungered -- but He fed thousands...He was wearied, but He is the rest of them that are weary and heavy-laden. He was heavy with sleep, but He walked lightly over the sea...He pays tribute, but it is out of a fish; yea He is the king of those who demanded it...He prays, but he hears prayer. He weeps, but He causes tears to cease. He asks where Lazarus was laid, for He was man; but He raises Lazarus, for He was God. He is sold, and very cheap, for it is only for thirty pieces of silver; but He redeems the world, and that at a great price, for the price was His blood. As a sheep he is led to the slaughter, but He is the shepherd of Israel, and now of the whole world also...He is bruised and wounded, but He heals every disease and every infirmity. He is lifted up and nailed to the tree, but by the tree of life He restores us. He dies, but he gives life, and by His death He destroys death."

Cyril of Alexandria (376 - 444 AD) says, ‘Indeed, the mystery of Christ runs the risk of being disbelieved precisely because it is so incredibly wonderful. For God was in humanity. He who was above all creation was in our human condition; the invisible one was made visible in the flesh; he who is from the heavens and from on high was in the likeness of earthly things; the immaterial one could be touched; he who is free in his own nature came in the form of a slave; he who blesses all creation became accursed; he who is all righteousness was numbered among the transgressors; life itself came in the appearance of death. All this followed because the body, which tasted death, belonged to no other but to him who is the Son by nature,’ [On the Unity of Christ]

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14 (written: 712 BC (Before Christ)

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23

For unto us a Child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder: and his name will be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 (written: 712 BC (Before Christ)

And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people. Luke 7:16

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1

because he had not only broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making Himself equal with God. John 5:18

Jesus said:
I and my Father are one. John 10:30

When many were about to stone Jesus for blasphemy (John 10:30-39), He said to them that said he blasphemed "because I said, I am the Son of God?" (John 10:36).

You call Me Teacher and Lord; and ye say well; for so I Am. John 13:13

But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
And Jesus said, I Am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. Mark 14:61-62


he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works." ( John 14:10)

And Thomas answered and said unto him [Jesus], My Lord and my God. John 20:28

...lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. 2 Corinthians 4:4

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. Colossians 1:14-17

...Who [Jesus], being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: Philippians 2:6

...For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. Colossians 2:9

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

...who [Jesus] is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 1 Timothy 6:15

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high. Hebrews 1:2-3

But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Hebrews 1:8

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:16


I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Jeremiah 23:5-6

Once, a paralytic man was presented before Jesus for healing (Luke 5:17-26), and Jesus said, “Man, thy sins are forgiven thee� (Luke 5:20). And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? (Luke 5:21). But Jesus (God in flesh) knew their thoughts and queried,

But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. (Luke 5:22-24)
And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

Revelation 19:11-14 - speaking of Yeshua/Jesus leading the Army of Heaven:

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Revelation 1:8)

Jehovah shares His glory only with Jesus...

In Isaiah 42:8 Jehovah himself is speaking, and He emphatically declares "I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." Again, in Isaiah 48:11, Jehovah is speaking, and He declares: "For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another."

John 17:5 tells us Jesus said; "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was."

Of course that is Jesus speaking of being part of the Godhead Himself. Since God will not share His glory. And Jesus tells us He had this glory with Yahweh/Jehovah before creation. What more proof from Jehovah or the lips of Jesus do you want?

The Scriptures bear unmistakable testimony to the creative activity of God's Son, distinguishing Him from among the "things" created, as the Creator and Sustainer of "all things."

The Book of Colossians:

The entire context of Colossians 1:15-27 is filled with superlatives in its description of the Lord Jesus as the "image of the invisible God, the first begetter [or according to Erasmus ''original bringer forth''] of every creature."

The Apostle Paul lauds the Son of God as Creator of all things (v.16) and describes Him as existing "before all things" and as the one by whom "all things consist" (v.17). This is in perfect harmony with the entire picture Scripture paints of the Eternal Word of God (John 1:1), who was made flesh (John 1:14) and of whom it was written: "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made" (John 1:3). The writer of Hebrews also pointed out that God's Son "[upholds] all things by the word of his power" (Hebrews 1:3) and that He is Deity in all its fullness, even as Paul wrote to the Colossians: "For...in him should all fullness (of God) dwell" (Colossians 1:19)

WHAT ABOUT THIS "SON OF MAN" THING?

The expression, “son of man,� was used in the Old Testament by Daniel as the term for the Messiah Who, at His second descent to earth at the end of this age, would come “...with the clouds of heaven� (Daniel 7:13,14). This same scene was described in more detail by John:

And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. (Revelation 14:14).

Concomitantly, Jesus’ favorite term for Himself was the “Son of Man� (Matthew 8:20, 9:6, 10:23, 12:8,32,40, 13:37,41, 16:27,28, 17:9,12,22, 18:11, 19:28, 20:18,28, 24:27,30,37,39,44, 25:31, 26:2,24,45; John 1:51, 5:27, 6:27,62, 8:28, 9:35, 12:23, 13:31). Using “Son of Man� really was an expression of humility, an indication of how God actually had been willing to lower Himself to mankind’s level by being born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18-25). Now, it generally was accepted by the chief priests and teachers of the law that “Son of Man� meant “Son of God.�

When Jesus was led before the council of the elders of the people (Luke 22:66-71), He made the statement that “...[ubHereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God.[/b],� they asked, “Are you then the Son of God?� (22:69,70a). Jesus replied, “Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am. His enemies confirmed that they understood this to be a claim by Jesus to be the Son of God by their response, “And they said, What need we any further witness? for we ourselves have heard of his own mouth. �

One Must be a Christian to be Saved!

References for this is found in John 14:6; Acts 4:12, and 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16. One cannot be a Christian without verbally confessing the deity of Jesus the Christ. One cannot even pray to God, let alone have sins remitted by Him, without approaching Him through Jesus (John 14:6 and 13, 15:16; 16:23-24; Romans 5:2, and Ephesians 2:18).

"The Father judges no one but has given all judgment to the Son, so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him." ( John 5:22-23)

"If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." ( John 10:37-38)

I know Muslims and Mormons, Christian Scientists, Jehovah Witnesses, Unitarians, Scientologists, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Seventh Day Adventists -and many others - will not want to hear this, but the Bible declares that Jesus was the FINAL revelation of God to man (Hebrews 1:1-3). There have been no others.

All Christian and Jewish Scripture point toward the Messiah's coming. With God, what seems to be a contradiction or paradox is in reality only the fact that only God knows in advance what is to come.

How could God come to earth and be born a child, yet remain God? With God, nothing is impossible. Muslems and Jews seem to be facing this same dilemma that those Jews who awaited the Messiah before Jesus arose faced. It all seems so impossible to both Muslems and Jews. The greatest of kings; born in the humblest of places.... God, born in the flesh!

This is what those Jews alive before Jesus came knew from their prophets and prophecies about the coming Messiah. It all seemed impossible --like a contradictory paradox --until after Jesus came. Suddenly the impossible fell into place:

Jesus, Father of Eternity, yet a Son in time; Chosen of God and elect, yet despised of man; Born King of the Jews, yet rejected by them; Born of a woman, a virgin, yet had no father; Came from Bethlehem, Egypt, Nazareth. Prophecy says "Out of (Bethlehem) shall he come forth" (Micah 5:2); "I have called my son out of Egypt" (Hosea 11:1, Matthew 2:15), "He shall be called a Nazarene" (Isaiah 11:1, Matthew 2:23).

To deny that Jesus is God is against his own words. I am not judging you or your decision, only hoping and praying that one day we may dine together and praise the King of Kings in the afterlife, if not sooner. You seem to have a genuine love for God, though that love is wasted if you do not love and accept his son as well.

Post Reply