Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ben Masada
Sage

Replacement Theology

Post #1

Post by Ben Masada »

Replacement Theology

Replacement Theology is as old as Christianity itself, considering that the etimology of the expression acquired its real meaning with the rise of Christianity.

Some people object to the focusing on Christianity for the reason why Replacement Theology originated, because the Jewish People was not the only ancient people with the original claim to be God's chosen People.

It's true that a few other ancient peoples upheld the same claim, but there was never one to rise with the claim that a people had been replaced by another as God's chosen People.

Christianity became the first religious organization to rise with the claim that a change had occurred in the designs of God, which would define the rejection of the Jewish People, and resplacement with Christianity.

The classical NT document, which would give rise to this Christian policy is found in Galatians 4:21-31.

Paul would compare God's Covenant with the Jewish People as Hagar, who was Sara's slave girl, and the Jews as her son, who was rejected even to share with Isaac, the inheritance of Canaan. On the other hand, he compares Christianity to Sara and Christians to her son Isaac.

To conclude, Paul appeals to cast out the slave girl together with her son for the obvious reason that Israel, the Jewish People, would never be an heir with the son of the one born free.

That's the picture of Replacement Theology and not simply a people claiming Divine election. A group of Interfaith Scholars have classified Replacement Theology as a kind of Antisemitism.

Ben

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Goat »

kayky wrote:

Well, that is because of our philosophical/religious differences. I am an atheist/secular Jew, and Cnorman is religious
This is something I'm not familiar with. Are you a practicing Jew? I mean, do you observe the laws, holy days, etc.?
Not religiously. You could say that Judaism is the religion I chose not to practice. It is however very much of my cultural concepts and ideas. There are sects of Judaism that are non-theistic in nature (humanistic judaism and Reconstructionists
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

kayky
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by kayky »

Hmmm...I had no idea.

Ben Masada
Sage

Post #23

Post by Ben Masada »

kayky wrote:I've got news for both the Christians and the Jews: God's chosen race is the human race. That should settle the issue. Nobody needs to cast out anybody or repace anybody. We're all sailing aboard the same ship.

Well, to a certain extent, I do agree with you, we are all in the same ship; but who is sailing the ship? Take a look at Genesis 6:5. The reason for the catastrophe of the Flood is given as man's wickedness on earth. I mean, the reason for some of the Natural laws to go berserk.

Then, in Genesis 8:21 God promises Noah that He will never doom the earth again because of man. But, what about if man corrupts himself again. how will God keep His promise?

Jeremiah says that as long as Israel exists on earth, the natural laws will function properly. (Jer. 31:35-37) We all know that if the natural laws go berserk universal catastrophes will hit. Now, if you put together all the quotations above, it's easy to see what was the pledge to guarantee God's promise to Noah. Israel, the People who was soon to rise from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

At the time of Noah, what you say was also true that we all were in the same ship; but there was no one sailing the ship. Israel was not around. Catastrophe hit the earth. Now, according to Jeremiah, Israel exists and the world is free of universal catastrophe. So, now we have someone sailing the ship. That's why Jesus said in John 4:22 that salvation is of the Jews.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by kayky »

Well, to a certain extent, I do agree with you, we are all in the same ship; but who is sailing the ship? Take a look at Genesis 6:5. The reason for the catastrophe of the Flood is given as man's wickedness on earth. I mean, the reason for some of the Natural laws to go berserk.

Then, in Genesis 8:21 God promises Noah that He will never doom the earth again because of man. But, what about if man corrupts himself again. how will God keep His promise?

Jeremiah says that as long as Israel exists on earth, the natural laws will function properly. (Jer. 31:35-37) We all know that if the natural laws go berserk universal catastrophes will hit. Now, if you put together all the quotations above, it's easy to see what was the pledge to guarantee God's promise to Noah. Israel, the People who was soon to rise from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

At the time of Noah, what you say was also true that we all were in the same ship; but there was no one sailing the ship. Israel was not around. Catastrophe hit the earth. Now, according to Jeremiah, Israel exists and the world is free of universal catastrophe. So, now we have someone sailing the ship. That's why Jesus said in John 4:22 that salvation is of the Jews.
I don't believe there was ever a world-wide flood or an ark full of animals repopulating the earth. There have always been natural disasters--it's the nature of the planet. I think you are making the same mistake fundamentalist Christians make: reading your sacred texts too literally and believing in their historical accuracy rather than recognizing the mythic nature of much of the material.

Ben Masada
Sage

Post #25

Post by Ben Masada »

kayky wrote:

I don't believe there was ever a world-wide flood or an ark full of animals repopulating the earth. There have always been natural disasters--it's the nature of the planet. I think you are making the same mistake fundamentalist Christians make: reading your sacred texts too literally and believing in their historical accuracy rather than recognizing the mythic nature of much of the material.

Hey Kayky, Whoever said here that we have to believe in a literal Flood? Other ancient peoples have in their records the story of a world-wide flood. If there was a Flood of that proportion, it was a catastrophe. So, the story of such a flood was used by the writer of Genesis to exemplify a catastrophe that won't happen again, and that Jeremiah connected that impossibility with the existence of Israel.

Tell me, Kayky, do you believe in the catastrophe that destroyed all the dinosaurs from the face of the earth? I believe you do. Now, why would a world-wide flood be impossible, because it is told by the Bible?

All right, you are allowed to discard the catastrophe of the Flood. Now, about the catastrophe that you believe destroyed the dinosaurs, it won't happen again if Jeremiah's word is worthy believing. (Jer. 31:35-37)

kayky
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by kayky »

Hey Kayky, Whoever said here that we have to believe in a literal Flood? Other ancient peoples have in their records the story of a world-wide flood. If there was a Flood of that proportion, it was a catastrophe. So, the story of such a flood was used by the writer of Genesis to exemplify a catastrophe that won't happen again, and that Jeremiah connected that impossibility with the existence of Israel.

Tell me, Kayky, do you believe in the catastrophe that destroyed all the dinosaurs from the face of the earth? I believe you do. Now, why would a world-wide flood be impossible, because it is told by the Bible?

All right, you are allowed to discard the catastrophe of the Flood. Now, about the catastrophe that you believe destroyed the dinosaurs, it won't happen again if Jeremiah's word is worthy believing. (Jer. 31:35-37)
I don't see why it couldn't happen again. If a huge comet hit the earth and the resulting debris blocked out the sun (one theory for how the dinosaurs became extinct), why do you think it is impossible for this to happen again? Outer space is full of such comets.

Ben Masada
Sage

Post #27

Post by Ben Masada »

kayky wrote:

I don't see why it couldn't happen again. If a huge comet hit the earth and the resulting debris blocked out the sun (one theory for how the dinosaurs became extinct), why do you think it is impossible for this to happen again? Outer space is full of such comets.

Simply because I trust the Scriptures. If such a comet or giagantic metheor ever hit planet earth as to destroy all Mankind, whoever survives will know that the Prophet Jeremiah failed in his prophecy. Till then, I trust the man.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by kayky »

Simply because I trust the Scriptures. If such a comet or giagantic metheor ever hit planet earth as to destroy all Mankind, whoever survives will know that the Prophet Jeremiah failed in his prophecy. Till then, I trust the man.
So then we are simply dealing with your personal opinion about scripture.

Ben Masada
Sage

Post #29

Post by Ben Masada »

kayky wrote:
So then we are simply dealing with your personal opinion about scripture.

No, we are dealing with my trust in the Hebrew Scriptures. The only Scriptures that Jesus used to handle.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by kayky »

No, we are dealing with my trust in the Hebrew Scriptures. The only Scriptures that Jesus used to handle.
It is a personal opinion based on a cultural opinion. In other words, you believe it because you were taught to believe it.