Christianity and capitalism

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

sandycorgi

Christianity and capitalism

Post #1

Post by sandycorgi »

I'd be interested to know what other christians think of why the church doesn't try to oppose capitalism?
Seems to me that its a system loaded in favour of the "big guy" and institutions with lots of money, that make the rich richer and the poor poorer. This I think is totally against any biblical teaching.
Jesus talked about the dangers of mammon yet our society has it as its very foundations.
C.S. Lewis also commented in his book mere Christianity that in both roman and jewish law charging interest merrited the death penalty, yet its the basis for ours?
To approach it from another angle............we spend most of our time at work simply to earn money ( most polls would suggest that about 60% of us would quit tomorrow if we could ), so if money is so important to us that we devote so much time to earn it, why is it a marginalised topic in church. You sometimes get a facile debate on "tithing", but no real full debate on money
My reading of acts 2 and acts 4 taken together with 2 Cor 8:13 & 14 seem to talk of a community where there were no excesses and that they lived to help one another. This is in contrast to the church today where the poor remain poor and the well off remain well off.
I used to be in "the ministry" but couldn't get round the fact if that if I were earning £23,000 as a minister how could I possibly ask anyone on £10,000 to give to the church so that I could earn so much?
Maybe if we didn't have clergy and laity we might have a different vision of what the church should be....................maybe a group of people showing that they are different and offering a radical lifestyle instead of just conforming to what our society thinks of as "the norm"?