Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #1

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

.

First off, let me preface this by saying the following..

1. As mentioned on another thread, I have many years invested in dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses (JW's), from family, to friends, to strangers. I am very familiar with them and their theology.

2. I am beginning a series of threads attacking their "Christian" theology and doctrine. This one, as titled, deals with Jehovah's Witnesses and their false prophecies.

3. I have beef with, not only JW's, but ANYONE of whom I believe to be spreading false Christian doctrine. This includes, but not limited to...

A.) Mormons
B.) Catholics
C.) World Mission Society Church of God
D.) Hebrew Israelites

Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations. But, we are talking about Jehovah's Witnesses for now.

So, the question is ultimately; Why do I feel as if Jehovah's Witnesses are false teachers? There are many reasons, and one of those reasons is their many failed attempts at predicting prophecy.

Before I continue on post #2, keep in mind that future threads in this series will go straight to the gusto, with no preface.

Just FYI.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #2

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

.

For those unfamiliar with JW's, just know that they have a notoriously bad rep for false prophecies. There are many false prophecies to choose from, but I want to focus on two in particular.

1. False prophecy of 1914: They falsely predicted that the year 1914 was the "end of the time of trouble".

For more, please read the following..

https://www.jwfacts.com/images/watchtow ... 5-p226.jpg

As you will see, they stood by this year (1914), and they "see no reason for changing their opinion expressed in the view presented in an earlier edition" (paraphrasing).

Check out jwfacts for the full scoop on this blunder..

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fail ... ctions.php

You see, as most of us are aware, JW's are very keen at getting their messages out. We all know about their door to door evangelizing and handing out their printed publications for all to see.

Thousands upon thousands of publications are given out every month and given to the general public. So it is difficult for them "backtrack" or fabricate what was said in the past, as they now have to simply live up to it.

But that hasn't stopped them from offering weak apologetics to explain away the failed prophecy blunders.

First, consider the backpedaling that was done as the year 1914 hit, and it was clear that nothing was going to happen..

"We do not know positively that the month of October, 1914, will see the church all glorified, and the time of trouble ushered in. We merely say, Here are the evidences. Here are the proofs. Look at them for yourself and see what you then think. It is for each to accept or reject the facts.

This statement^ is contrary to the statement before, remember, when "we see no reason for changing our opinion......we believe this is God's date, not ours"

Hmmm. So, to make a long story short; 1914 came and went, and nothing happened, at least, no end of the troubled times stuff.

Conclusion, failed prophecy.

Or, what about this one..see post #3.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #3

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

.

2. Failed prophecy of 1975: This is a good one...check out jwfacts..

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

Excerpt..

"The published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E. So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation. So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence. How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ. It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God for the reign of Jesus Christ, the 'Lord of the Sabbath,' to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence." Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God 1966 pp.26-30

On the referenced webpage above, you can read the MANY other statements made in publications, ensuring followers that 1975 was the year!!! You can also hear the audio and videos which testified to the same thing.

Members were discouraged from going to college during that time...because why? Why invest in a college education when the world was coming to an end in a few years??

And after 1975 came and went, they (their governing body) had the nerve and audacity to chastise members for centering their lives around that year..

"11 It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have, for this reason, put off or neglected things that they otherwise would have cared for. But they have missed the point of the Bible’s warnings concerning the end of this system of things, thinking that Bible chronology reveals the specific date. The Watchtower 1976 Jul 15 pp.440-441

Quite the nerve, huh?

Again, read the full scope of what was said before and after 1975..

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

And one more thing I'd like to note, that the good thing about the 1975 thing is simple; there are ex-members still alive today that can testify to teachings, the temperament, and environment that centered around the Jehovah's Witness organization.

Consider this video..



Watch video from 4:30-5:45 (just over a minute long) this man tells you about the 1975 nonsense...he was there!!

JW's lost many members after 1975 and the result of this failed prophecy.

Conclusion: Of course, failed prophecy.

See Biblical conclusion in post 4..
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #4

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

.

You see, Jehovah's Witnesses go around town being arrogant. They consider themselves..

1. God's chosen organization
2. "The truth"
3. The "faithful and discreet slave"

They believe that the truth is found within their organization, and anyone who does not belong to their organization does not have the "truth".

When someone leaves their organization, this person has left "the truth". They believe that God has chosen them, and is also directing and guiding them, and that their "governing body" (the head honcho's in Brooklyn who makes the decisions within the organization), is under God's direction and supervision.

However, what does God/the Bible say??

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.” (Deut 18:20).

But God doesn't stop there, he continues further..

21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

So basically, with those two failed prophecies (there are more), the governing body of the Jehovah's Witnessess gave proclamations that "did not take place or come true".

1. If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, this is not a message of the Lord.

2. The governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses made proclamations that did not take place or come true.

3. Therefore, the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses spoke presumptuously, and are not prophets of the Lord.

In closing, Jehovah's Witnesses are false prophets. Jesus said that he didn't even know the time nor the day (Mark 13:32), and if the Son of God doesn't know it, then what would make JW's think that they know it?

The arrogance!!
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #5

Post by Miles »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:12 pm .

First off, let me preface this by saying the following..

1. As mentioned on another thread, I have many years invested in dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses (JW's), from family, to friends, to strangers. I am very familiar with them and their theology.

2. I am beginning a series of threads attacking their "Christian" theology and doctrine. This one, as titled, deals with Jehovah's Witnesses and their false prophecies.

3. I have beef with, not only JW's, but ANYONE of whom I believe to be spreading false Christian doctrine. This includes, but not limited to...

A.) Mormons
B.) Catholics
C.) World Mission Society Church of God
D.) Hebrew Israelites

Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations. But, we are talking about Jehovah's Witnesses for now.
Curious, which Christian denominations are true?


.

User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #6

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:24 pm Curious, which Christian denominations are true?
None that I am aware of.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 2112
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:24 pmCurious, which Christian denominations are true?
The right answer is probably: None of them.

Because Jesus didn't seem to want that sort of top-down, trickle-down morality where some church controls access to God. He was above others, because he was the conduit to God, but that's it. Other than that it's person, Jesus, God, end of the line. Not person, churchies, bigger churchies, biggest churchies, and then maybe God.

Regardless of whether it's fiction or not, that seems to be what the story of Jesus is actually about. If it happened then it's simply giving the account of someone turned off by trickle-down morality and I'm not surprised the poor fellow ended up dead. If it's fiction, then it seems obvious that the effect power structures have on morality is the very thing the story is trying to teach.

I'm not saying people in organised denominations are wrong according to Jesus. Firstly I don't really know, and secondly even if I'm right, people aren't wrong to find their place and be with other Christians who think like them. The only problem is the people who make it into a power structure.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:04 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:24 pmCurious, which Christian denominations are true?
The right answer is probably: None of them.
Yeah. I asked because We_Are_VENOM wrote, "Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations." Implying that some are not false.


.

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 2112
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:05 pmYeah. I asked because We_Are_VENOM wrote, "Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations." Implying that some are not false.
And I answered because organised religion is a blight on, and a strawman of, actual religion.

I want to fight my enemies in their final and perfect forms, rather than the strawmen people make of them, or even the strawmen some of them make of themselves.

...Ironically this makes a lot more sense in debate than it does in DBZ.

User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #10

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:05 pm Yeah. I asked because We_Are_VENOM wrote, "Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations." Implying that some are not false.
I also wrote something along the lines of..

".....but we are talking about Jehovah's Witnesses for now".

Did you catch that part?
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Post Reply