What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Online
User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #1

Post by William »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 am [Replying to Tcg in post #760]
In any case it wasn't some rebellion against God as some theists may be likely to presume.
IF they call themselves "Christian" THEN it is safe to say that they will presume exactly that.

All of them or just Some?
Q: All of them or just Some?

This is a question which appears to have no answer which can be agreed to.

QFD: Does that make the question itself, rhetorical?

Rhetorical = Along the lines of - "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 am [Replying to Tcg in post #760]
In any case it wasn't some rebellion against God as some theists may be likely to presume.
IF they call themselves "Christian" THEN it is safe to say that they will presume exactly that.

All of them or just Some?
Q: All of them or just Some?

This is a question which appears to have no answer which can be agreed to.

QFD: Does that make the question itself, rhetorical?

Rhetorical = Along the lines of - "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."
I'd say if they follow the christian lifestyle, that's a good start. But ultimately, it doesn't matter. A person can call themselves a christian and if you don't think they are, so what? Watcha' gonna' do?!?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Online
User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #3

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 am [Replying to Tcg in post #760]
In any case it wasn't some rebellion against God as some theists may be likely to presume.
IF they call themselves "Christian" THEN it is safe to say that they will presume exactly that.

All of them or just Some?
Q: All of them or just Some?

This is a question which appears to have no answer which can be agreed to.

QFD: Does that make the question itself, rhetorical?

Rhetorical = Along the lines of - "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."
I'd say if they follow the christian lifestyle, that's a good start.


What is "The Christian Lifestyle?" and does it have anything to do with answering the question "All of them or just Some?"
But ultimately, it doesn't matter. A person can call themselves a christian and if you don't think they are, so what? Watcha' gonna' do?!?

I agree. I also think the same of a person that doesn't call themselves a Christian.

What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

What makes a non-Christian a non-Christian - does anybody know?

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #3]
What is "The Christian Lifestyle?"
Question just as charged as 'what's a christian'! I'd say it's the lifestyle a christian would live (aka like jesus is said to have lived in the bible).
does it have anything to do with answering the question "All of them or just Some?"
I'd say it should apply to all christians, not just some (if that's the meat of the question).
What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?
Someone that follows the christian lifestyle

What makes a non-Christian a non-Christian - does anybody know?[/quote] Someone that doesn't follow the christian lifetsyle.

All that said, I think most christians don't truly follow the christian lifestyle - there always seems to be something that keeps them from it.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ― Mahatma Gandhi.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 157 times
Contact:

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?
Bible tells Christian means a disciple of Jesus. And person is truly a disciple of Jesus if he remains in Jesus words.

...It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

So, hearing what Jesus said, can make person a Christian, if the person then wants to remain in Jesus words.

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 2112
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pmI'd say if they follow the christian lifestyle, that's a good start. But ultimately, it doesn't matter. A person can call themselves a christian and if you don't think they are, so what? Watcha' gonna' do?!?
This reminds me of a time in my life when I was a teenager and my crazy mother called herself a different religion every few months or so, while understanding, as far as I know, none of the material. I never believed in the supernatural but I had this idea that she was somehow dishonouring those religions. As you say though, whatcha gonna do?

One day she said she was a Jew. Despite the fact that my family took her side, I thought I had her. My only friend at the time was a neo-Nazi, so I knew that either you are born to a mother who is a Jew, or you go through a conversion process and prove you understand the material. I called BS at this point, because I wanted her to stop. She'd now said she was a Taoist, a Buddhist, a Muslim (which I believe also has a conversion process which at least involves promising you won't then convert away), a JW, a follower of the Aztec religion, a Santerian, and some other things I can't even remember.

This was before the internet so I went and got literature from a synagogue on conversion. This didn't faze her at all, she continued to just say she was whatever she wanted without doing anything necessary to convert, her parents supported her, and I was left with the hard-earned realisation that while some organisations can indeed put up barriers to entry, they still have no earthly way to stop random people from saying they belong to those organisations.

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:08 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pmI'd say if they follow the christian lifestyle, that's a good start. But ultimately, it doesn't matter. A person can call themselves a christian and if you don't think they are, so what? Watcha' gonna' do?!?
This reminds me of a time in my life when I was a teenager and my crazy mother called herself a different religion every few months or so, while understanding, as far as I know, none of the material. I never believed in the supernatural but I had this idea that she was somehow dishonouring those religions. As you say though, whatcha gonna do?

One day she said she was a Jew. Despite the fact that my family took her side, I thought I had her. My only friend at the time was a neo-Nazi, so I knew that either you are born to a mother who is a Jew, or you go through a conversion process and prove you understand the material. I called BS at this point, because I wanted her to stop. She'd now said she was a Taoist, a Buddhist, a Muslim (which I believe also has a conversion process which at least involves promising you won't then convert away), a JW, a follower of the Aztec religion, a Santerian, and some other things I can't even remember.

This was before the internet so I went and got literature from a synagogue on conversion. This didn't faze her at all, she continued to just say she was whatever she wanted without doing anything necessary to convert, her parents supported her, and I was left with the hard-earned realisation that while some organisations can indeed put up barriers to entry, they still have no earthly way to stop random people from saying they belong to those organisations.
And even if one could stop them from saying they belong to those organizations, that doesn't mean they will stop. Or care to stop. People are weird, man, in so many ways.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Online
User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #6]
This didn't faze her at all, she continued to just say she was whatever she wanted without doing anything necessary to convert...
This reminds me of Saul-who-became-Paul and used this type of method as a means of reaching as many folk as he could re his particular religion. To a 'Jew" he was a "Jew" to a "Roman, a Roman" et al.

Online
User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #9

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #4]

For me, the reason I don't go around calling myself a "Christian" isn't because of biblical Jesus. It is because of people going around calling themselves Christians.

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 2112
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:28 pm [Replying to Purple Knight in post #6]
This didn't faze her at all, she continued to just say she was whatever she wanted without doing anything necessary to convert...
This reminds me of Saul-who-became-Paul and used this type of method as a means of reaching as many folk as he could re his particular religion. To a 'Jew" he was a "Jew" to a "Roman, a Roman" et al.
That doesn't bother me so much, since he'd earned the right to be a Jew by being born one. He understood the material. If he came to disagree with that material and basically lied to say he didn't, that's definitely a trick, but to my mind not so horrible and dishonouring to the people who actually believe something as claiming you believe it all when you couldn't possibly because you haven't even glanced at it.

It's just a bug that's been up my butt since I was a kid. Nothing I can do about it though. Nothing anyone can do about it really.

The category includes real parasites though, whose desire is to commit atrocities under a banner that has been kept pristine, thus elevating those atrocities while sullying the banner others have striven to maintain. In a very real way, it's a theft: A theft of reputation. Reputation has value because people will go to lengths to maintain it. When someone else destroys that, it is a theft, regardless of what libertarians will say about it.

Post Reply