Question about Christianity and my church

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Question about Christianity and my church

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Mitt Romney is running for President. He is a member of the CoJCoLDS. Also I belong to this church. I have noticed that many Christians hate my church. Why? We are Christians as they are. We believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible as the word of God, like they do it. Why do they hate us?

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Re: Why people hate my church:

Post #31

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

sleepyhead wrote:
As far as I know the only members of your church on the forum are Diana and vanguard. Any responses to you other than in private messages can be commented apon by anyone. There are other forums with a lot of budding apologists who's goal will be to strenghten your testimony.
Sleepyhead, I had written to one of the two persons; and informed that I have questions and doubt regarding the LDS. I have invited this person also politely to participate in the discussion. This person has not answered what is her right to do. This person has presumably put me on her ignoring list now.
I wonder now why this person act like this? Is, it fear of the possible consequences if she handled with the topic? I do not know it. I only find it sad that this member does not have any "balls in her trousers" and prefers to run away.
But how my father already said: "Every man chooses the way which is the best for him!"

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Nickman »

The Mormon wrote:
sleepyhead wrote:
As far as I know the only members of your church on the forum are Diana and vanguard. Any responses to you other than in private messages can be commented apon by anyone. There are other forums with a lot of budding apologists who's goal will be to strenghten your testimony.
Sleepyhead, I had written to one of the two persons; and informed that I have questions and doubt regarding the LDS. I have invited this person also politely to participate in the discussion. This person has not answered what is her right to do. This person has presumably put me on her ignoring list now.
I wonder now why this person act like this? Is, it fear of the possible consequences if she handled with the topic? I do not know it. I only find it sad that this member does not have any "balls in her trousers" and prefers to run away.
But how my father already said: "Every man chooses the way which is the best for him!"
Im pretty sure I know of who your talking about. Presumably a member of the church. You will not find much support from your church in your search to find the truth. You will be ridiculed and even told you didnt have enough faith. I fair warn you it is a road that will show you that people you thought were friends, will ignore you and dismiss you.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by sleepyhead »

The Mormon wrote:
sleepyhead wrote:
Hello TM,

She really can't help you in a debate. All she or any true blue LDS can do is attempt to put the church in a positive light. Perhaps slip in a quick claim for the church and hope it isn't challenged.
There are many things about the church the leadership keep hidden. If you keep investigating your going to find more stuff which indicates what you were taught is false. What do you plan to do with this knowledge? I remember you mentioned you are married to an LDS which makes your search for truth a matter for both of you to work out.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Wootah
Savant

Re: Question about Christianity and my church

Post #34

Post by Wootah »

The Mormon wrote: Mitt Romney is running for President. He is a member of the CoJCoLDS. Also I belong to this church. I have noticed that many Christians hate my church. Why? We are Christians as they are. We believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible as the word of God, like they do it. Why do they hate us?
Hi The Mormon,

Mitt seems like he would be a good president.

As to your question:
- How often each week do you read from the Bible. ie: non-mormon books.
- How many issues do you know are different between Mormon and Baptist teaching? can you cite any?

Wootah

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

sleepyhead wrote: What do you plan to do with this knowledge? I remember you mentioned you are married to an LDS which makes your search for truth a matter for both of you to work out.
This depends how much negative evidences I find about the church. And it also depends what my family will say to it if I present them my proofs. Up till now I experience only pressure of my bishop and my family.
I can imagine to leave the LDS, if the evidence is overwhelming. I do not know whether I then will go to a Protestant church at once.
Moreover, I have learned in the church to hide and to suppress a lot of feelings. Did you know the musical "The Book of Mormon"? There is a beautiful song there which describes how I really feel. "Turn it off", is this song titled. Do youunderstand what I want to say with that?

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Re: Question about Christianity and my church

Post #36

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Wootah wrote:

Mitt seems like he would be a good president.
You believe this! I am of a different opinion. There were many reports on Romney on television. And none of the documentations was somehow "kind". I would never trust Romney and he would be the only umptieth person on earth.
Wootah wrote: As to your question:
- How often each week do you read from the Bible. ie: non-mormon books.
- How many issues do you know are different between Mormon and Baptist teaching? can you cite any?
Of course I have read in the Bible. And of course I believe in the Bible (at least up till now). I, however, know the Christianity and the Bible not well enough to be able to form an opinion. And since I examine the LDS critically, I do not have much time for other things at the moment.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

The Mormon wrote: It is obvious for me; that you must hate the church very much. Why?
Moderator Comment

This is an uncivil remark and not justified by any preceding conversation. Please refrain from such remarks. Thank you.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #38

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

I do not think today any more so how I thought yesterday.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by Goat »

The Mormon wrote:
sleepyhead wrote: What do you plan to do with this knowledge? I remember you mentioned you are married to an LDS which makes your search for truth a matter for both of you to work out.
This depends how much negative evidences I find about the church. And it also depends what my family will say to it if I present them my proofs. Up till now I experience only pressure of my bishop and my family.
I can imagine to leave the LDS, if the evidence is overwhelming. I do not know whether I then will go to a Protestant church at once.
Moreover, I have learned in the church to hide and to suppress a lot of feelings. Did you know the musical "The Book of Mormon"? There is a beautiful song there which describes how I really feel. "Turn it off", is this song titled. Do youunderstand what I want to say with that?

Make yourself a list about the claims of the book of Mormon. Put the ones that have evidence for them, and evidence against it, and evidence there is no support for, but no support against either. Then, remember that it will be uncomfortable dealing with your family if you DO leave the Mormon church .... and then decide of the negative evidence is worth the disruption to the family. That kind of behavior is very cultist in my opinion.

I also am of the personal belief that needing to repress a lot of feelings is unhealthy. Will Shakespeare had some really good advice when he said "To thine own self be true"
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #40

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Goat wrote:
Make yourself a list about the claims of the book of Mormon. Put the ones that have evidence for them, and evidence against it, and evidence there is no support for, but no support against either.
I have everything I have found out provided with sting words; stored in my PC. A folder has the name "church"; the other folder the name "advocatus diaboli". Since my husband can not speak any Latin and he checks my PC in the last time; seemed to me this to be the safest way.
If my investigations are finished, I will inform my husband and my bishop about my results and my decision in a letter. Because my husband has not talked with me for days any more. And we only the most necessary and he has a tone then, if he talks, as if he were the general, and we the troop who must obey him.
Family life is not easy for me at the moment.
Goat wrote: Then, remember that it will be uncomfortable dealing with your family if you DO leave the Mormon church .... and then decide of the negative evidence is worth the disruption to the family. That kind of behavior is very cultist in my opinion.
To leave the church, somebody must be very strong; particularly if the family is in the church; and the family can break because of this. And I do not know whether I am really so strong. I do not love my husband already for a long time any more. We only are together because of the children and the temple marriage. He does not love me any more either. For him I am his cook, his scrubwoman and his free prostitute.
If it should prove well-founded, that the LDS is a swindle and a lie; perhaps I then find the courage to leave him? I, however, want to take my adult children with me. And he will never permit this!
Goat wrote: I also am of the personal belief that needing to repress a lot of feelings is unhealthy. Will Shakespeare had some really good advice when he said "To thine own self be true"
I will try it!