Mormons and Reincarnation

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Mormons and Reincarnation

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

mickiel wrote: Interesting conversation; I am curious, what is the Mormon view on reincarnation?
Well, mormons dont believe in it. May I ask why you asked?

The reason we dont believe in it is because we believe in a life after death, a paradise and prison that all will go to. But that isnt the end of it for us, Judgement and resurrection come after that spirit world.

Here is a chart showing the mormon plan of salvation. Keep in mind its a simplified one.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

mickiel
Guru

Re: Mormons and Reincarnation

Post #2

Post by mickiel »

[Replying to mormon boy51]

Well I know a Mormon who does believe in it; Frank is his name. I myself don't believe in it, but I was just curious as to the rest of the Mormons, because he is a Mormon.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Kuan »

[Replying to post 2 by mickiel]
Alright, I would love to hear his side to it, im sure he has a sound reason for it, its just that I havent ever heard of a mormon who does believe in it, just considering the "plan of salvation" being so vital to the doctrine of the church.

But i think I might actualy understand what it might be, as mormons we believe in a second resurrection where we will be reunited with our bodies and that the body and soul will never be separated again. Maybe this is what he was thinking of, but thatcouldnt be reincarnation because reincarnation is the process of life and death on multiple basis.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nickman »

mormon boy51 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by mickiel]
Alright, I would love to hear his side to it, im sure he has a sound reason for it, its just that I havent ever heard of a mormon who does believe in it, just considering the "plan of salvation" being so vital to the doctrine of the church.

But i think I might actualy understand what it might be, as mormons we believe in a second resurrection where we will be reunited with our bodies and that the body and soul will never be separated again. Maybe this is what he was thinking of, but thatcouldnt be reincarnation because reincarnation is the process of life and death on multiple basis.
I have to back you up on this. Reincarnation is competely foreign to the church.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by sleepyhead »

mickiel wrote: Interesting conversation; I am curious, what is the Mormon view on reincarnation?
Hello mickiel,

Your friend is probably basing his belief in some of the writings of Brigham Young, who believed in multiple mortal probations.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=multiple+m ... &sp=-1&sk=
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

mickiel
Guru

Post #6

Post by mickiel »

sleepyhead wrote:
Hello mickiel,

Your friend is probably basing his belief in some of the writings of Brigham Young, who believed in multiple mortal probations.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=multiple+m ... &sp=-1&sk=

Well I don't know what he is basing it on, but I consider some of his other views on other topics as brilliant. I just disagree with the reincarnation thing; its only once appointed for a human to die; we don't have to die more than that.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Kuan »

Well, if you ever find out what his views are and how it relates to the Mormon doctrine, I would love to hear that!
- Voltaire

mickiel
Guru

Post #8

Post by mickiel »

mormon boy51 wrote: Well, if you ever find out what his views are and how it relates to the Mormon doctrine, I would love to hear that!

He post at Theologyweb.com in the Unorthodox section. On the second page of those archives, he has a post on reincarnation; under the name " Franktalk."

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by sleepyhead »

mickiel wrote:

Well I don't know what he is basing it on, but I consider some of his other views on other topics as brilliant. I just disagree with the reincarnation thing; its only once appointed for a human to die; we don't have to die more than that.
Hello Mickiel,

Since your friend believes in reincarnation he is apparently thinking for himself rather than allowing a corporation to think for him. That's is probably why you find his other views to be brilliant.

With regards to the bible verse on reincarnation, (which in my discussions I've heard many times), there is a slight problem with relying on it. God had discussions with Abraham, He talked to Moses for 40 years. He had various prophets up until 2000 years ago. Jesus came and said what he wanted to say. Throughout all that time God never told anyone what the afterlife was like. When you claim that the above verse teaches against reincarnation then your claiming that God chose to remain silent throughout history and then reveal to the writer of Hebrews that we only live once.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

mickiel
Guru

Post #10

Post by mickiel »

sleepyhead wrote:
mickiel wrote:

Hello Mickiel,

Since your friend believes in reincarnation he is apparently thinking for himself rather than allowing a corporation to think for him. That's is probably why you find his other views to be brilliant.

With regards to the bible verse on reincarnation, (which in my discussions I've heard many times), there is a slight problem with relying on it. God had discussions with Abraham, He talked to Moses for 40 years. He had various prophets up until 2000 years ago. Jesus came and said what he wanted to say. Throughout all that time God never told anyone what the afterlife was like. When you claim that the above verse teaches against reincarnation then your claiming that God chose to remain silent throughout history and then reveal to the writer of Hebrews that we only live once.

Well I am not claiming to completely understand the topic, I don't; but I just see no " Need to die more than once." I mean for what? Even death itself only has to die once, the " Second Death", is the death of the " First Death." Then I see no biblical examples of reincarnation at all; not one. And mind you resurrection is not reincarnation. I agree with thinking for yourself, I am all for that , many LDS members disagree with Frank, but he has his own views, and is not some " Follow the Leader" kind of man. I just dispute the concept of reincarnation, it only takes one life time to be what we are destined to be.