To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Joking about Islam

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

[youtube][/youtube]
In this sort clip British Comedian Rory Bremner talks about the problem of satirising Islam.

[youtube][/youtube]
Here is a CNN report following the depiction of Muhammad in a bear suit on South Park.

QUESTION: When will comedians, satirists, critics, writers and cartoonists no longer have to fear Islam?

Murad
Guru

Re: Joking about Islam

Post #2

Post by Murad »

Furrowed Brow wrote: QUESTION: When will comedians, satirists, critics, writers and cartoonists no longer have to fear Islam?
Comedy is not frowned upon by muslims, all the jokes about terrorism & such are acceptable & reflect the humerous stereotypes in modern day society, i am personally a fan of muslim humour. However, mocking or depicting the prophet of Islam; will never be taken as a joke by muslims & will usually incite more fundamental muslims to do something idiotic like attacking an embassy.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by LiamOS »

Granted, the same is true in general.

I think the point being made here is that this happens on a much, much greater scale in Islam.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Murad wrote:However, mocking or depicting the prophet of Islam; will never be taken as a joke by muslims & will usually incite more fundamental muslims to do something idiotic like attacking an embassy.
Never is a long time. Why is Islam incapable of lightening up on the matter? Where are the reformists and liberals and critical intellectuals and satirists in Islam prepared to defy the rules? Why...when it comes to doctrine....the conformist mentality?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

Six Hundred years ago, Jan Hus was burned at the stake for, among other things, criticizing the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Eucharist. Perhaps in 600 years, Islam will be more tolerant than it is now.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

Murad wrote:
Furrowed Brow wrote: QUESTION: When will comedians, satirists, critics, writers and cartoonists no longer have to fear Islam?
Comedy is not frowned upon by muslims, all the jokes about terrorism & such are acceptable & reflect the humerous stereotypes in modern day society, i am personally a fan of muslim humour. However, mocking or depicting the prophet of Islam; will never be taken as a joke by muslims & will usually incite more fundamental muslims to do something idiotic like attacking an embassy.
Why? Is it because you are acknowledging Muslims are irrational on that topic?

Murad
Guru

Post #7

Post by Murad »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Why is Islam incapable of lightening up on the matter? Where are the reformists and liberals and critical intellectuals and satirists in Islam prepared to defy the rules? Why...when it comes to doctrine....the conformist mentality?
Reforming mockery?

I personally wouldn't call waving the swastika a freedom of expression, nor would i call racism "Freedom of Opinion"; but an inflammatory & hateful act. It's just something that's sensitive within Islam, and purely subjective so obviously we will have conflicting opinions. But the fact is; it is bound to stir up ultra-conservative muslims & give them an excuse to recruit more extremists. Mainstream muslims like myself; are more... liberal? on this issue; but it is inflammatory nevertheless.
McCulloch wrote: Six Hundred years ago, Jan Hus was burned at the stake for, among other things, criticizing the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Eucharist. Perhaps in 600 years, Islam will be more tolerant than it is now.
Islam is certainly doing better than medieval Christianity according to the chronological clock.

Wootah wrote:
Murad wrote:
Why? Is it because you are acknowledging Muslims are irrational on that topic?
The word muslim is generic; if you mean ultra-conservative, ofcourse they are irrational.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #8

Post by fewwillfindit »

Murad wrote:The word muslim is generic; if you mean ultra-conservative, ofcourse they are irrational.
Hey, I like that! Thanks Murad. The next time someone starts in with the usual rants about how Christianity is abhorrent because of pedophile priests, I will just chime in and say, "The word Christian is generic; if you mean Catholic, then I agree."

Of course that will fly for all of two seconds until the cries start rolling in, since it is a Christian saying it and not a Muslim, but I still like it.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Murad
Guru

Post #9

Post by Murad »

fewwillfindit wrote:
Murad wrote:The word muslim is generic; if you mean ultra-conservative, ofcourse they are irrational.
Hey, I like that! Thanks Murad. The next time someone starts in with the usual rants about how Christianity is abhorrent because of pedophile priests, I will just chime in and say, "The word Christian is generic; if you mean Catholic, then I agree."

Of course that will fly for all of two seconds until the cries start rolling in, since it is a Christian saying it and not a Muslim, but I still like it.
Demonising a community for a minority of people (claiming to be apart of that community) is not fair; & it's a dishonest generalisation.

* Islam is a terrorist religion; look at Al-Qaeda & look at Taliban.
* Christianity(or catholicism) is a pedophile religion; look at the priests touching boys.

Then when i say that it's a dishonest generalisation; i get the common cliche (from a Christian on this forum): "Yes not all muslims are terrorists; but almost all terrorists are muslim"

That's like saying: "Yes not all pedophiles are Catholics; but almost all cleric pedophiles are Catholics"

There are 1.6 Billion+ muslims on earth; what fraction of that are terrorists? Why aren't we all dead?

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

fewwillfindit wrote:

I don't know about that. One complaint I heard much more than once is 'why are the catholic priests getting into hot water for this, but xxxxx domination is being ignored , followed by the claim that they were abused by their minister/pastor/youth leader.

It happens much more frequently that people admit.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella