Biblical Contradictions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Where do you draw the line on Biblical inerrancy?

There are minor errors of fact and detail which do not alter the material truth or meaning of the text in any way - IE 200 and 2000 is not important as it could easily be a copy error
13%
There are significant variations in the stories and records, none of which are fully accurate, but all of which contain historical truth along with the errors.
11%
There is a vast mix of styles and sources, layered and re-layered over time reflecting traditions and stories relating to the Hebrew people and their God. But, based on independent archeological evidence and literary records, some of it could be possible
21%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
The bible is so full of bogus errors that we can nt be sure that there even was any of the people, places or events that it records
15%

Total votes: 71

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Biblical Contradictions

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Ok. I looked over the last few pages of topics and I couldn't find one dedicated to this discussion (much to my surprise). Therefore I am starting it.

What are the biblical contradictions which the atheists keep refering to and what are the answers by apologists.

Ready, set . . . GO!
Last edited by achilles12604 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cmass
Guru

Post #1241

Post by Cmass »

Biker said:
Let me ask you a question? Can you do anything about what does what in relation to Sun, Earth, Moon, Stars? No! He can and does and will long after you aren't walking around on the "face of the Earth"!
Uhm....actually, yes. There are current, very real discussions about how to keep (God-sent?) asteroids from hitting earth by parking gravity tractors near them in order to change their course. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5007716
It would require very precise calculations but it is certainly no more complicated than splitting an atom. I assume you know that technology exists?

Also, unfortunately, the "light" that God created has a limited lifespan and will eventually expand into a red giant completely incinerating the earth. However, once again scientists might be able to save the day. Even with our relatively primitive technology, we are already thinking of ways to move the earth out to a safer orbit. http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/as ... -orbit.htm
Once we have saved heaven & earth from God's poor planning, we can move on to creating new universes.....and thus, perhaps new beings who can invent new Gods. http://www.casavaria.com/sentido/scienc ... iverse.htm

Biker

Post #1242

Post by Biker »

McCulloch wrote:
Biker wrote:Nice Scriptures.
Unless there is some other explanation from Biker we should take this to mean that he believes that the sun's rising is from one end of the heavens, And its circuit to the other end of them; and that the sun rises and the sun sets; And hastening to its place it rises there again. The world is firmly established, it will not be moved. The earth is established on some sort of foundation and it will not be moved out of place.

And that Joshua witnessed, the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.
Biker hasn't said anything, YET!
You posted the inerrant Scriptures. I presume for some "as yet unknown" intention? Since you posted them, could you reveal the reason why? You have made accusations that "Biker, means this or that"? I have no idea what you are talking about? Your assuming my positions and beliefs and my this and that?
Perhaps you could fill me in on A. What you think those Scriptures say, and why? B. Provide some kind of question as to why (you think) they are a contradiction?
I assume that is what this thread is about? But it seems it has been made into a "science" thread??? A science thread with nonempirical evidence.

Confused, Biker???

WelshBoy
Scholar

Post #1243

Post by WelshBoy »

Biker,

Two questions you haven't yet answered:

1) Why is our scientific data NOT empirical - bare in mind answering with a question is NOT ANSWERING.

2) Do...you...believe...the...earth..goes...around...the...sun?
To the believer, no proof is necessary; to the skeptic, no proof is enough.

Biker

Post #1244

Post by Biker »

Jose wrote:Moderator Intervention

There is little point in throwing one-liners around. Remember the Rules:

Support your assertions with evidence.
Do not post one-liners.
Do not post frivolous or incendiary statements.

If the bible supports a claim, provide the evidence that it does. If there are contradictory statements in the bible, provide the evidence. If the entirety of the bible is self-attesting, provide the evidence--or at least explain the apparent contradictions pointed out by others. And remember that there are people like me out there, who don't know the bible well, have only read occasional snippets of it, and therefore need to have these things explained carefully.
Perhaps you should tell your other moderators to ask a question if they have one? Or if they are in fact trying to railroad a worldview by cleverly disguised nonsense? I have no idea as of yet what the other moderators are driving at, as there are not any clear question or questions?
So I would suggest the moderators follow their own rules!!!
Listing a series of Scriptures, no question? Then listing them again and making statements about what I believe is pure nonsense!

BIKER

Biker

Post #1245

Post by Biker »

WelshBoy wrote:Biker,

Two questions you haven't yet answered:

1) Why is our scientific data NOT empirical - bare in mind answering with a question is NOT ANSWERING.

2) Do...you...believe...the...earth..goes...around...the...sun?
Let me state this as clearly as possible.
The thread is called 'Biblical contradictions".
DO YOU HAVE A (SO-CALLED) BIBLICAL CONTRADICTION?

BIKER???

WelshBoy
Scholar

Post #1246

Post by WelshBoy »

Fair point, I have taken this off-topic, but we really need to discuss this elsewhere, since if you don't believe the earth goes around the sun contrary to so much evidence, then it is almost not worth debating with you since none of your arguments can be taken seriously. Alternatively, if you DO believe the sun goes around the earth, then you somehow have to reconcile the biblical description of the solar system against the facts, which calls into doubt the inerracy of the bible - which is sort of related to this topic.

As for Biblical contradictions, I believe McCulloch has them somewhere previously. The two genealogies of Jesus for example, they don't match at all.

Biker

Re: Biblical Contradictions

Post #1247

Post by Biker »

achilles12604 wrote:Ok. I looked over the last few pages of topics and I couldn't find one dedicated to this discussion (much to my surprise). Therefore I am starting it.

What are the biblical contradictions which the atheists keep refering to and what are the answers by apologists.

Ready, set . . . GO!
Achilles wrote: What are the Biblical cotradictions which the atheists keep refering to and what are the answers
I could be wrong but I think that requires a Scripture, and a atheist saying that this Scripture says this that or the other thing? Then a question formulated such as isn't this a contradiction? Then someone answers and says why no its not, and heres why.
Why does my thoughts on what the sun does have to do with this thread???

Biker

Biker

Post #1248

Post by Biker »

WelshBoy wrote:Fair point, I have taken this off-topic, but we really need to discuss this elsewhere, since if you don't believe the earth goes around the sun contrary to so much evidence, then it is almost not worth debating with you since none of your arguments can be taken seriously. Alternatively, if you DO believe the sun goes around the earth, then you somehow have to reconcile the biblical description of the solar system against the facts, which calls into doubt the inerracy of the bible - which is sort of related to this topic.

As for Biblical contradictions, I believe McCulloch has them somewhere previously. The two genealogies of Jesus for example, they don't match at all.
Here is my take on the Sun,Moon,Earth and the stars. You and 10 million phds can't do anything about what these planets do in relation to each other!
But the God who made them as described in the book of Genesis can!
You may look at them and marvel. But you can't create them, or cause them to do what they do. But He did and does. It says so right in the book of Genesis, and Jesus affirmed the Law in the New Testament.

Biker

Biker

Post #1249

Post by Biker »

Cmass wrote:Biker said:
Let me ask you a question? Can you do anything about what does what in relation to Sun, Earth, Moon, Stars? No! He can and does and will long after you aren't walking around on the "face of the Earth"!
Uhm....actually, yes. There are current, very real discussions about how to keep (God-sent?) asteroids from hitting earth by parking gravity tractors near them in order to change their course. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5007716
It would require very precise calculations but it is certainly no more complicated than splitting an atom. I assume you know that technology exists?

Also, unfortunately, the "light" that God created has a limited lifespan and will eventually expand into a red giant completely incinerating the earth. However, once again scientists might be able to save the day. Even with our relatively primitive technology, we are already thinking of ways to move the earth out to a safer orbit. http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/as ... -orbit.htm
Once we have saved heaven & earth from God's poor planning, we can move on to creating new universes.....and thus, perhaps new beings who can invent new Gods. http://www.casavaria.com/sentido/scienc ... iverse.htm
All of that "off topic" stuff is really nice waste of time? All that stuff and $1.75 will buy you a beer! Big Whoop!!! I can get a beer without it.

Biker, thirsty!

WelshBoy
Scholar

Post #1250

Post by WelshBoy »

All of that "off topic" stuff is really nice waste of time? All that stuff and $1.75 will buy you a beer! Big Whoop!!! I can get a beer without it.

Biker, thirsty!
Yeah, but it counters your other point:
You and 10 million phds can't do anything about what these planets do in relation to each other!

Seems we probably can. :D