Why????

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why????

Post #1

Post by POI »

If a God exists, and this God wants us to know He really exists, and also wants us to know what He wants, then why doesn't He just tell us Himself? If the Christian God is true, He is either pleased, or at least content, with the publication of the Bible.

Many will argue the Bible is not inerrant. Many may also argue context, when reading. Others might argue it is literal, and the perfect word of God. How do we really know what Jesus did and did not say, being He bothered not to write/preserve any of it Himself? Etc... Regardless of one's position on the matter, I have to ask, why??? Meaning.....

For Debate:

1. Why didn't God/Jesus write the final canon Himself, and also preserve it in a way for which it could not later be completely corrupted?
2. How could we know it was from an actual divine source, you ask? Well, it could have been written/preserved in a way in which humans could not do at the time, or even now. Thus, at best, I guess skeptics could still argue it came from aliens/other. But certainly not from earthly men ALONE :)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Why????

Post #211

Post by boatsnguitars »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:56 pm Free will, and God does not wants robots.

It is essential...Essential...that God does not reveal himself or His Word so reliably and undeniably that people cannot doubt and question (even though Christian apologetics claims that the evidence is plain and only the choice to be anti God can explain why some choose not to believe). Of course this just looks to we Goddless Unbelievers like excuses as to why things are like This when by all reason, they ought to be like That.

Why? "God has his reasons; God knows best; it makes sense to God if not to us". That's the bottom line and go -to excuse and all that we can do is buy it or not,
Yep. But it's interesting. God can't let us know he exists - except he makes it very apparent to the fanatics that he does. They are positive God exists - and ironically, they're the ones causing the most trouble.

It seems, honestly, that Believers got together and said, "Hey, let's create a group that makes all the rules - and how we'll convince everyone to follow us is that we'll claim there a Big Daddy with a real nasty temper who will spank them if they don't listen to us. If they say they can't see any evidence for Big Daddy, we'll tell them it's their fault!"

Then, they act as robots - trying to do everything their religion tells them.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #212

Post by TRANSPONDER »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:14 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:56 pm Free will, and God does not wants robots.

It is essential...Essential...that God does not reveal himself or His Word so reliably and undeniably that people cannot doubt and question (even though Christian apologetics claims that the evidence is plain and only the choice to be anti God can explain why some choose not to believe). Of course this just looks to we Goddless Unbelievers like excuses as to why things are like This when by all reason, they ought to be like That.

Why? "God has his reasons; God knows best; it makes sense to God if not to us". That's the bottom line and go -to excuse and all that we can do is buy it or not,
Yep. But it's interesting. God can't let us know he exists - except he makes it very apparent to the fanatics that he does. They are positive God exists - and ironically, they're the ones causing the most trouble.

It seems, honestly, that Believers got together and said, "Hey, let's create a group that makes all the rules - and how we'll convince everyone to follow us is that we'll claim there a Big Daddy with a real nasty temper who will spank them if they don't listen to us. If they say they can't see any evidence for Big Daddy, we'll tell them it's their fault!"

Then, they act as robots - trying to do everything their religion tells them.
I agree. I see religion as a survival instinct. Tribal cohesion and self -confidence. And nowhere is that seen better than is Judaism, designed (so far as I can see) to keep Israel different and separate from all the other nations. I also see that is basic to the Abrhamic and notably the Greco -Roman religion was very yolerant. Which rather led to it becoming discarded in favor of cults like Attis, Mithras, Isis and Christianity. The State religion was more political loyalty to Rome and the Emperor than life -changing Faith, as the Cult of Cybele was.

You are right about cult -think, and I have mentioned before that I found that the UFO creed argued just the same way as Bible apologetics. It is actually human self -justification with personal self -worth at stake, not the search for what's so. To do that latter requires critical thinking which more claim to do than actally do.

"Not all who cry Logic, Logic will attain to doing it logically."

Trust me, U have done trying to win as well as trying to find out. It was atheism that taught me about critical thinking, because nobody else teaches it, or Authorities would be facing tougher questions and the hate cults of Woke vs Maga would never have got started.

And you are right in the first. Apologists want to claim that God is plainly visible for the purposes of Faith, but is by design, requirement and intent Not visible when it comes to providing evidence. In fact...Is this circular? ;) God can't show he exists because it should be based on Faith, not knowledge, so the evidence that God exists is purely based on Faith which is by Dogma not based on sufficient evidence. I mean, not the claims of the past, which we have reason to doubt, anyway, but the 'Watchmaker' evidence (which is garbage) experience in life (which is trash) and "I know because I know because I know" which is Faith, and no good reason for believing anything.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #213

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:04 am
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:24 pm And Jesus may simply have been a servant of some other god and lied about the resurrection of regular people for kicks.

Jesus didn't make claims about resurrecting people... he resurrected dead people and left those that witnessed his actions to testify to events. If the testimonies were false there would be eyewitness record to that effect.
Okay I get the misunderstanding. I'm saying, Jesus may have had superpowers and been immortal. He may have had the ability to regenerate himself. So his resurrection happened. Everything that the Bible says happened, happened.

As far as Jesus promising regular people get raised from the dead and go to Paradise, that may have just been a lie. Let's assume Jesus existed and did everything attributed to him. He could still have been a con man who happened to have powers.

There's a major question as to what a con man gains from this, but if we assume the supernatural is true, it could be a supernatural victory. Chemosh is real, if we assume the Bible is 100% true. Chemosh has powers. Jesus could easily be one of these other powerful beings, and he could simply be lying, or better yet, deceiving without lying, about what's going to happen to us after we die. This probably would have occurred to anyone with the intelligence and sort of... fluidic open-mindedness to simultaneously regard everything as true.

The thing that creates these problems is that at some point (and this happens during Biblical recordings; this is not an artefact of trying to splice a fictional canon onto reality) God stops zapping people who offend him. God did not directly smite the Pharisees, for example.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #214

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to POI in post #1]

Christ did not come to write a book. Rather, Christ came to bring the kingdom of heaven to earth as the living church. Why not try going to the living church and seek God there? Spend a week hanging out and asking questions of Dominican Monks. If you are really searching that is.

POI
Prodigy

Post #215

Post by POI »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:21 pm [Replying to POI in post #1]

1) Christ did not come to write a book. Rather, Christ came to bring the kingdom of heaven to earth as the living church.

2) Why not try going to the living church and seek God there? Spend a week hanging out and asking questions of Dominican Monks. If you are really searching that is.
1) It's more than just a Book! It's the word of God, written down for all to read forever. And yet, God relied upon fallible humans to do it?

2) I did for decades. Nothing... Talking to myself... I guess all you can say here, is that I must not have really been searching-- in this 30 year run ;)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."