The problem of evil

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The problem of evil

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is the statement "Then there is "The problem of evil"" one of fact or conjecture? [science or opinion] In realty, does such a problem actually exist?
The problem of evil refers to the challenge of reconciling belief in an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient God, with the existence of evil and suffering in the world. eta:{SOURCE}
Last edited by William on Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: The problem of evil

Post #251

Post by oldbadger »

AquinasForGod wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:21 am
You only have to understand to your capacity.
You quoted Luke:-
Luke 12:48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

I wonder how Luke heard about that parable. He certainly never met with Jesus himself.
But as I read that piece my eye moved on to Luke 12:51, and reports that Jesus supported 'friends before family' was seen once more .....

Luke {12:51} Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: {12:52} For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. {12:53} The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Mark {3:32} And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. {3:33} And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? {3:34} And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

People don't want the threat of any beating from 'them', and the promise of trouble and strife is no better than what nature offers, imo.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #252

Post by AquinasForGod »

oldbadger wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:20 am
Luke 12:48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

I wonder how Luke heard about that parable. He certainly never met with Jesus himself.
But as I read that piece my eye moved on to Luke 12:51, and reports that Jesus supported 'friends before family' was seen once more .....

Luke {12:51} Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: {12:52} For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. {12:53} The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Mark {3:32} And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. {3:33} And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? {3:34} And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

People don't want the threat of any beating from 'them', and the promise of trouble and strife is no better than what nature offers, imo.
I see the verses as only being about how truth divides families, which it does.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #253

Post by oldbadger »

AquinasForGod wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:48 am
oldbadger wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:20 am

I see the verses as only being about how truth divides families, which it does.
That's the thing...... it's how we see everything....
Those passages tell me that Jesus valued true friends before bad family every time. He was estranged from family.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #254

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'm going to risk not only diverging from topic, but riding my own hobby - horse. And yet you did ask, Badger, mate, about how Luke heard what Jesus (supposedly) said about a beating; and I have to refer to what I have said about understanding the construction of the gospels and methods of the writers, as this gives the answers to such questions.

Luke 12 42 is the parable of the wise and faithful servant, related in response to a stooge - cue from his straight man, Peter. and the context is a bunch of teachings given between the departure from Galilee and arrival at Jerusalem by way of Peraea and Jericho. And that particular trail is littered with teachings shoplifted from elsewhere and dropped out of of context on the way; the trademark of "Q" material. The fingerprints being that we also find it in Matthew and more often than not in a different context; and almost always it is not found in Mark, who did not use Q

So there it is in Matthew 24. 45 in the context of the sermon on the mount of olives (about the last times). Cue apologetics excuse 'Oh, Jesus could have used the same parable more than once'. Ok, so of he says it on the mount of olives it'll be in the same talk in Mark and Luke, right? Well, looking at the same material in Luke, though more in the context of the Temple than Olivet (where Luke at least says Jesus lodged, often) we don't see the Faithful servant. And looking at Matthew (who does sometimes repeat material, and sees double) leaving Galilee and arrival at Peraea (the Jordan) 18 -20 we see little or none of Luke's mass of teaching material, and not the faithful servant. And that is what we see again and again. The 'Oh, Jesus used the same saying several times' excuse wears as then as most of these excuses.

Mark? I'm about to check. but I predict he won't have it in either place. And blow me, it isn't and there isn't a lot of room between leaving Galilee (end of chapter 9) and arrival at Peraea (ch. 10) and it isn't in the talk on the mt of Olives (chapter 13) and I am confident that we had Q material that Matthew used there and Luke used somewhere else. It was not, to make it quite clear, part of the original gospel the synoptics used. And surely not a reliable record of anything Jesus ever said.

But it gets worse; if we look at Matthew's wise and faithful servant, where is the passage about beatings we find in Luke 12.48? It should come at the end of
Matthew 24. It isn't there. It's obvious, especially when Luke does the same thing time and again: he adds his own ideas and even events, like the penitent thief - it is a clear addition of his own.

Now your question is answered, Badgerman; where did Luke hear that? He never did; he made it up.