Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Bad Christian or not a Christian?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Can you still be a Christian, even if you purposely defy Jesus's commands?

So everyone is clear, Jesus commanded of his followers:
Love God and Love Your Neighbor:
Matthew 22:37-39 (NIV): "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

The Great Commission:
Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV): "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

Repentance and Forgiveness:
Luke 24:46-47 (NIV): "Repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations."

The Golden Rule:
Matthew 7:12 (NIV): "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Humility and Servanthood:
Matthew 20:26-28 (NIV): "Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave."

Seek God's Kingdom First:
Matthew 6:33 (NIV): "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

The New Commandment:
John 13:34-35 (NIV): "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Perseverance and Endurance:
Matthew 24:13 (NIV): "But the one who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Faith and Trust:
John 14:1 (NIV): "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me."

Generosity and Selflessness:
Luke 6:30 (NIV): "Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

Giving to Those in Need:
Matthew 5:42 (NIV): "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."
At what point does a person go from being a bad Christian to no Christian at all?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Bad Christian or not a Christian?

Post #41

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:06 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:17 pm Sure! If you don't like what Jesus said, just go next door to the next church until you find the Jesus you want.

There's a Jesus for everyone! And Christians think that kind of popularity is evidence its all true!

Amazing what people can convince themselves of: they can even decide they don't need to follow Jesus, only find the Jesus they want to follow according to their desires.
Exactly. Or follow Jesus without the public sociopolitical baggage as a freethinking person who doesn't listen to socioreligious charlatans who monetize apostate tradition or, for that matter, listen to uninformed critics of one without knowing the other and why those critics do that or that they are in the same ship of fools for the same reason.

Grammatically that was difficult to pull off. I, uh - oh well. The point is anyone with any sense who looks towards organized religion or concerns themselves obsessively with it, whether from a supportive or critical perspective get what they want out of it or they wouldn't. And what they want out of it is rarely what it seems, which makes it all the more foolish.
Grammatically, that was a tour de force :mrgreen: and one that would have got you burned at the stake or pulled apart on the rack in the 17th c according to whether you were a Lutheran or a subject of the Vatican. Lucky you live in the West where religion dissent and public denunciation of the Religious Authorities does land you in jail with the guards pulling your teef out.
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:14 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:54 am [Replying to benchwarmer in post #7]

And you gotta love how many Christians try to argue against what Jesus clearly said while declaring they are true followers...

Oh, sure, Christian, tell us all about what Jesus meant to say - that, amazingly, allows you to do whatever you feel is best for you.... roll eyes...
Playing the same game. Hypocrisy.
That is indeed the game they are playing. Including yourself if you don't follow Jesus' actual teachings but pretend you know better what Jesus meant than what the Bible actually says...because literally doing what he says instead of posting "Lord,Lord" is just not convenient, is it?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #42

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:31 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:38 pm What about all those Christians living in poverty, begging for God to help them as they suffer their entire lives?
Consider the lilies.
boatsnguitars wrote: I wonder what the rich Christians say about them? That they lack faith? That God will have zn extra case of beer for them in Heaven?
So, according to you the weight of the world is on the shoulders of the Christians who are to be no part of it while the worldly are free from such responsibility? All the while the skeptics boast of the decline of religion. Meanwhile, the world is becoming a place where the worldly people are safer and far more compassionate and generous every day. Fascinatingly sophisticated demonstrable philosophy.
I's astounded. You are doing such a great job for irreligion for preaching 'let the poor go starve'. The reverse of the conservative coin of the prosperity gospel. I hope it's made money for you rather than for those who bilk their Believers.
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:38 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:08 am [Replying to 1213 in post #21]

I'm not going to do the simple search for you. If you aren't aware of where poor people are, by any measure, you are woefully uninformed.
But, of course you know where they are because it would be hypocritical of you not to. You have to know where they are in a more than general way in order to help them. Look up Christian organizations that help the poor and compare those to atheist ones. You'll figure it out.
boatsnguitars wrote: It's almost as if you refuse to acknowledge there is poverty in the world at all.
It's got to be Trump or Jesus to blame, huh?
boatsnguitars wrote: As for your last comment, we have come to expect this attitude among American and Western Christians steeped in Capitalist dogma, but I have to wonder where the Bible supports this?
There's the root! Finally. The real reason.
:) Yes it is... because Christianity has become politicized, but only on One side. The Other side is just as Christian, but does a bit more for the poor than cut taxes for the rich and claim it 'trickles down' to the poor.

You mentioned Trump (AkA Maga Jesus) not anyone else. It sorta gives away what you agenda is, doesn't it? Hope the Orange hat you got for Xmas fits.

If you go on like this, it'll be a great 2024. :evil_laugh:
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:55 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:29 am Is it just me, or do people find these responses disingenuous?
It isn't just you or you wouldn't be here and neither would your contemporaries. They hunt in packs.
boatsnguitars wrote: Perhaps, like most Christians, you don't care because it must be their fault - and you've got yours, so they don't concern you. After all, if you don't see any legitimate poor people, you don't have to follow Jesus's command to help them, is that it?
Perhaps you care about the poor thinking they better themselves by not being poor whereas those you criticize care about other things. That wouldn't explain the overwhelmingly more prevelant assistance of the poor by those you criticize. Only hypocrisy or ignorance would explain that.
I find the responses desperate and deflective, not disingenuous. I didn't quite get what you said above and I suspect neither do you. Typo of your furious keyboard - hammering corrected - you're welcome.

But of course 'We help the poor!' justification of the Church is always a final mendacious card to play 'You need us as we feed the poor'. But that doesn't make it right or true.

"You cannot buy the truth with free soup". And free soup being held back until the prayers had been imposed has long been a rumble.

I can recall a few and continuous rumblings in disasters from the Tsunami In Sri lanka and thee earthquake in Haiti where while secular help was there helping the needy, the Churches were there either just handing out Bibles or making assistance conditional on ...well...giving special consideration to the missionary message.

But the topic wasn't about the Deeds (good or bad) by the various churches, but about whether bad Christians are Christians at all? Well, you tell me, you seem to know them, are they?

Yep... never mind the 'Fedora - wearing' (whatever that was supposed to be about) it doesn't take long before the political hat -wearing becomes evident with so many of the True Believer apologists.

Of course it's an admission of last ditch defense to play the 'Charitable Help for the Poor' card. Buy a way into credibility and even public approval with feeding the poor. Or saying they do, as i seem to recall their Books are not open to scrutiny. But even if the charity does go on - they take in Millions. Atheism does it all out of their own pockets. We could look at the atheist charities that exist, but I don't imagine the average atheist goes round collecting donations for their tax -free business so he can give some away to the Poor and claim a tax break.

Data
Sage

Post #43

Post by Data »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:21 pm Why not? I have come to think that many an atheist understands the Bible better than the average Christian does, so why shouldn't thy undesrtand what it says - which isn't of course what Christianity has adopted and adapted as dogma, to suit itself. Just for one thing Jesus said Sabbath and temple didn't matter. One can Interpret that of course, so it doesn't translate as Church and Sunday worship doesn't matter, but it takes a massive degree of Block Christian Oblivion to apparently not even consider it.
What I asked was if the Boats thinks that he knows more than Christians about what it means to be Christian. Your answer isn't to do with that. From my understanding you were once a Christian? That would mean you know more than myself about being a Christain, you should answer from that perspective. Your comment on the Bible doesn't necessarily address that subject. Anyone can know the Bible. Do Christians understand it? Not in my experience, but that doesn't mean they don't know it. Everyone uses the Bible for their own agenda. Christianity has adopted pagan apostate teachings. Immortal soul, hell, trinity, rapture, Christmas, Easter, the Cross. They use the Bible as a storybook. I once entered a Christian Bible trivia Chat room thinking I could easily win. I was wrong. They know the little details like the names of Isaiah's father and son. I don't know that stuff. I never cared about that stuff so I never learned it. Atheists have a different perspective. It's hyper-literal. Whereas the Christians know the Bible stories but have the pagan unscriptural understanding the atheists can't see the figurative. They project an absurd interpretation because it makes them look good. They think because the Bible says a snake talks then it means a snake talks. The Jehovah's Witnesses know the Bible better than anyone but when it comes to their own place in it and end times prophecy they screw it all up. Like the 144,000, vaccines, higher education, Jesus' beard, neutrality, the anointed, and a long history of end times false prophecies Everyone has their blind spots and everyone has their agenda.
TRANSPONDER wrote: No, I suspect that we goddless know the Bible and even Christianity better than the average Christian does.
No.
TRANSPONDER wrote:
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:18 am “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good." Mark 10:18 (NLV)
That is close to sauce or cheek :P . You must know it is not an argument or response but a smokescreen. Apart from Jesus hinting that Jesus was Good and therefore God, that is no excuse for not following the teachings (or even trying), let alone those who use religion in an almost blasphemous way for their own purposes - which is rather what you said above, but of course,it's ok when You say it as that is righteous anger, but an atheist it's just wickedness and lack of understanding.

This is probably your best worst example yet. :D
Look, not to be rude or break any of the rules less reality should settle upon us, I'm not impressed with people. Believers, unbelievers or anything in between. Including myself. The evidence, the scriptural evidence, doesn't support that Jesus or his followers for the next 400 years thought that Jesus was Jehovah. It's nonsense to put it mildly. Jesus said, your will not my own, why have you forsaken me, with my father, beside my father, he prayed to his father, who said he was the God above all others. The JWs, the Muslims understand this correctly as do some Christians and myself. None of this has anything to do with the OP or my response.

Data
Sage

Post #44

Post by Data »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm Grammatically, that was a tour de force :mrgreen:
You may not be surprised that I've done worse.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm and one that would have got you burned at the stake or pulled apart on the rack in the 17th c according to whether you were a Lutheran or a subject of the Vatican. Lucky you live in the West where religion dissent and public denunciation of the Religious Authorities does land you in jail with the guards pulling your teef out.
I've done time and I'm not the kind of guy who easily keeps quiet under threat of the vile people who always find themselves seeking power.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm That is indeed the game they are playing. Including yourself if you don't follow Jesus' actual teachings but pretend you know better what Jesus meant than what the Bible actually says...because literally doing what he says instead of posting "Lord,Lord" is just not convenient, is it?
I'm a former lying, thieving, drunken, drug using godless homosexual. Think about it. Anyway, I'm not a Christian.

Data
Sage

Post #45

Post by Data »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:39 pm I's astounded. You are doing such a great job for irreligion for preaching 'let the poor go starve'. The reverse of the conservative coin of the prosperity gospel. I hope it's made money for you rather than for those who bilk their Believers.
I don't do a "job" for anyone. Believer or unbeliever. That's why my vision isn't clouded by who can pony up some cash. And I am the poor.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm :) Yes it is... because Christianity has become politicized, but only on One side. The Other side is just as Christian, but does a bit more for the poor than cut taxes for the rich and claim it 'trickles down' to the poor.
Christianity has a long bloody history of being politicized since at least 325 CE with Constantine, their true hero, despicable human that he was. BUT your militant atheism is just as politicized as you yourself demonstrate in the quote above. To me, there are only two things worse than organized religion. Politics and money. The package of three are all wrapped up in the same pretty little bow.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm You mentioned Trump (AkA Maga Jesus) not anyone else. It sorta gives away what you agenda is, doesn't it? Hope the Orange hat you got for Xmas fits.
No, it gives away your agenda. The Christian brand of Jesus and the big bad boogey man, the great pumpkin isn't part of my agenda. I think to support or protest either would be a stupid waste of time.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm If you go on like this, it'll be a great 2024. :evil_laugh:
You really think that stuff matters, don't you? You've really been indoctrinated to pick your scapegoats with all of your heart? Cry out from the rooftops! Shout out against your oppressor! Be strong, brother, in your division! Me? If some idiot like Trump, or Bidden, or any other who would seek the power of the Ideocracy would destroy the world in which we live I fear not one wit. Hurry! Would be my only response.

That calls for another pop song more relevant than the BS video I see you've posted for me looming in the immediate future.

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm
I find the responses desperate and deflective, not disingenuous.
SHOCKED I AM!!

You have a string hanging from your neck or a button in your tummy which when pulled or squeezed elicits a recording of atheistic propaganda?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm I didn't quite get what you said above and I suspect neither do you. Typo of your furious keyboard - hammering corrected - you're welcome.
Isn't it remarkably surprising that we see each other in the reflection of the shields we hold between us?

What I said was the militant atheist objection to the absence of Christian sympathy for the poor is laughable and everyone knows it. This, mind you, comes from someone who loathes both parties. That shouldn't be surprising because I'm fair. I'm objectionable, er, objective. I look at the evidence, not my political, material, ideological or religious affiliation. I have none of that. I - am as pure as the newly fallen snow! Though, admittedly, engaging in this type of discussion turned yellow for obvious reasons.

See what I did there, buddy?

[Pulls string dangling from Transponder's neck]
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm But of course 'We help the poor!' justification of the Church is always a final mendacious card to play 'You need us as we feed the poor'. But that doesn't make it right or true.
The Church is Satan's. The government you have faith in is Satan's. Do you, in your superior atheistic Biblical knowledge know what that means? You both work for the same boss. You both live and die by the same sword. I do not.

I am the poor. I have no job, no car, no home, no bank account, savings, bonds, gold, silver. Very little material possessions, no monthly check. I receive very little money for being an indentured servant. I do all the cooking, cleaning and yardwork. I'm chauffeur, errand boy, maid, butler, gardener, housekeeper, and IT technician. When that is gone, I'm living on the streets. What little money I do have goes to my website, which I do for my own enjoyment. I accept no advertising, no donations or any other financial incentive. Nor would I. It's only been up for a very short time, but, still. It's for me. It's mine. Mankind, either by church or state, will never solve mankind's problems. Only Jehovah God can do that. Which is why all of this is just so much ideological nonsense.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm "You cannot buy the truth with free soup". And free soup being held back until the prayers had been imposed has long been a rumble.
Who cares? You? No. Me? No. You get what you play for. Their intentions are obvious to everyone, but compared to the intentions of the critics in this case? They don't. There are no atheist soup kitchens that I know of so stop using it as a criticism. It's hypocritical and silly. To put it ever so politely for fear of retribution. You know what I'm talking about. Truth is unpopular. Don the mask thereof.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm I can recall a few and continuous rumblings in disasters from the Tsunami In Sri lanka and thee earthquake in Haiti where while secular help was there helping the needy, the Churches were there either just handing out Bibles or making assistance conditional on ...well...giving special consideration to the missionary message.
Hmm. Vague, pathetic and unsupported - certainly CNN worthy, but again. I don't care. Secular and atheist aren't necessarily the same. Technically.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm But the topic wasn't about the Deeds (good or bad) by the various churches, but about whether bad Christians are Christians at all? Well, you tell me, you seem to know them, are they?
I know them? No. I avoid them like the plague. I prefer the dregs of humanity. Rolling around in the filth with the godless heathens is more my game. Online. In reality I hate everyone.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm Yep... never mind the 'Fedora - wearing' (whatever that was supposed to be about) it doesn't take long before the political hat -wearing becomes evident with so many of the True Believer apologists.

That seems to me the pot calling the kettle stupid. I'm getting bored, buddy. We gotta wrap it up.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm Of course it's an admission of last ditch defense to play the 'Charitable Help for the Poor' card. Buy a way into credibility and even public approval with feeding the poor. Or saying they do, as i seem to recall their Books are not open to scrutiny. But even if the charity does go on - they take in Millions. Atheism does it all out of their own pockets.

We could look at the atheist charities that exist, but I don't imagine the average atheist goes round collecting donations for their tax -free business so he can give some away to the Poor and claim a tax break.
Does what? I seem to recall Christopher Hitchens on his God book tour with Al Sharpton. That, I thought, summed it up nicely. Richard Dawkins make more money off his delusional and myopic musing on the subject or his astounding scientific taxpayer supported works. Look. I don't care. You're preaching to the wrong guy. I can't stand either one, atheist or Christian. I'm just commenting on the blatantly stupid hypocrisy.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #46

Post by benchwarmer »

Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 am Seriously? You think you know more about what it involves to be a Christian than a Christian?
As an ex-Christian, I know exactly what it involves. Are you of the impression that people who are no longer Christians never were one? I know that's one common apologetic that some Christians like to pull out when things get inconvenient for them.
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 am And you think that Christ meant for all Christians to sell their belongings and devote themselves to missionary work, even after his teachings were so common throughout the world compared to what they were then in spite of the failings of the Christians themselves?
We can only go by what is written in the New Testament about what Jesus said/wanted. As usual, this is up to the interpretation of every single Christian. Are you aware of how many Christian denominations there are? What might that tell you about Christians distilling what Jesus really wanted?
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 am This argument is just nonsense. You want to make them feel bad so they will change their ways and become more like you while telling them you have no commonalities, meaning you are without what? But you're all the same.
Speaking of nonsense... At what point did I say I wanted to make anyone feel bad? This feels like some sort of projection based on the uncomfortableness you might be feeling when it's pointed out what's actually in the Bible. Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but it sounds like this is making you uncomfortable because now you need to figure out which things Jesus said and/or did that you should do and which ones you can safely ignore. Sounds like you are currently ignoring Matthew 19:21 and Luke 12:33.

I'm certainly not looking to make anyone uncomfortable (got enough of that in the church), I'm just asking Christians the simple question of which of Jesus's teachings are 'valid' and which ones can safely be ignored and why.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #47

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Data wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:21 pm Why not? I have come to think that many an atheist understands the Bible better than the average Christian does, so why shouldn't thy undesrtand what it says - which isn't of course what Christianity has adopted and adapted as dogma, to suit itself. Just for one thing Jesus said Sabbath and temple didn't matter. One can Interpret that of course, so it doesn't translate as Church and Sunday worship doesn't matter, but it takes a massive degree of Block Christian Oblivion to apparently not even consider it.
What I asked was if the Boats thinks that he knows more than Christians about what it means to be Christian. Your answer isn't to do with that. From my understanding you were once a Christian? That would mean you know more than myself about being a Christain, you should answer from that perspective. Your comment on the Bible doesn't necessarily address that subject. Anyone can know the Bible. Do Christians understand it? Not in my experience, but that doesn't mean they don't know it. Everyone uses the Bible for their own agenda. Christianity has adopted pagan apostate teachings. Immortal soul, hell, trinity, rapture, Christmas, Easter, the Cross. They use the Bible as a storybook. I once entered a Christian Bible trivia Chat room thinking I could easily win. I was wrong. They know the little details like the names of Isaiah's father and son. I don't know that stuff. I never cared about that stuff so I never learned it. Atheists have a different perspective. It's hyper-literal. Whereas the Christians know the Bible stories but have the pagan unscriptural understanding the atheists can't see the figurative. They project an absurd interpretation because it makes them look good. They think because the Bible says a snake talks then it means a snake talks. The Jehovah's Witnesses know the Bible better than anyone but when it comes to their own place in it and end times prophecy they screw it all up. Like the 144,000, vaccines, higher education, Jesus' beard, neutrality, the anointed, and a long history of end times false prophecies Everyone has their blind spots and everyone has their agenda.
TRANSPONDER wrote: No, I suspect that we goddless know the Bible and even Christianity better than the average Christian does.
No.
TRANSPONDER wrote:
Data wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:18 am “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good." Mark 10:18 (NLV)
That is close to sauce or cheek :P . You must know it is not an argument or response but a smokescreen. Apart from Jesus hinting that Jesus was Good and therefore God, that is no excuse for not following the teachings (or even trying), let alone those who use religion in an almost blasphemous way for their own purposes - which is rather what you said above, but of course,it's ok when You say it as that is righteous anger, but an atheist it's just wickedness and lack of understanding.

This is probably your best worst example yet. :D
Look, not to be rude or break any of the rules less reality should settle upon us, I'm not impressed with people. Believers, unbelievers or anything in between. Including myself. The evidence, the scriptural evidence, doesn't support that Jesus or his followers for the next 400 years thought that Jesus was Jehovah. It's nonsense to put it mildly. Jesus said, your will not my own, why have you forsaken me, with my father, beside my father, he prayed to his father, who said he was the God above all others. The JWs, the Muslims understand this correctly as do some Christians and myself. None of this has anything to do with the OP or my response.
Couldn't care less. The only thing that matters are the arguments presented here and whether they stack up. If you let Bible enthusiasts defeat you on trivia like who Methuselah's nephew was, you need to rethink your tactics. It doesn't matter whether you or I were or were not Christians or whether I or you are impressed with people or not. All that matters is the point being argued and validity of the case made, either way.
[Replying to Data in post #45]

I'm not even going to repost this pointeless, self advertising or self pitying garbage. It has been clear for some time that your argument methods were wonky to say the least. Your views unorthodox and the case you were making obscure, you preferring to go on the attack and it seemed the irreligious side were the principal target, even if you now want to throw Christianity un der the bus to escape having to make abetter case that 'Atheists publish books, too'.

The point was about trying to validate Christianity through their charitable work, and (while noting it) I pointed out was a big, fat business religion is, and always has been. From Akhenaten to the Holy Roman Empire and more recent history, Political Rule and religious authority have sometimes been cautious allies and sometimes enemies. And that is a way more clean than the religious scam artists that proliferate,in both denominations. That is no more offset by Hitchens publicizing his book than atheism is debunked by the Fedora.

Savant

Post #48

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:29 am ...Are you not aware that 50% of the globe lives on less than $1 per day - many of them not happy or healthy, but working hard to survive?
If you want me to help them, I would need more specific information who they are. If you don't want help for them, then I understand if you don't want to tell exactly who they are.

Savant

Post #49

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:42 am ... It is based on common humanist teaching.
"Common humanist" teaching seems to come from the teachings of Jesus.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:42 amThe Bible merely has its' own take and really not even original.
Sorry, I have no intelligent reason to believe that.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:42 amYou know you already lost this argument: the condoning of slavery shows that human morality is actually better as the Bible morality was just the mortality of its' day. I believe it even has rules permitting abortion (since you bring that up) but I'm not familiar with the passage so don't quote me, as they say.
Everyone who must pay taxes is a slave. If human morality accepts that people are forced to pay taxes, it is in my opinion worse.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:42 amThe Bible is not a good guide to morals or living, not even the unfeasible extremes of the NT, more to do with selling the message than making for a moral society. I'm sure (indeed I expect) you can pick some few words about Love, but this is clearly in a context of love for those who play ball with the belief. If not, then they deserve the worst that God can dish out.
But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Matt. 5:44-45
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:42 am They hadn't repented? That wasn't their fault. Didn't we already see that Jesus spoke in parables to ensure they wouldn't understand, turn and repent and be saved? This had been set up by God. Or at least it would be so if one believed it but of course this is the belief and doctrines of men who thought the Jews had the destruction of the Jewish land was coming because they rejected Jesus.
Disciples of Jesus were send to preach the message. So, people could have known and understood it.

And repentance and remission of sins must be preached on His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
Luke 24:47

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:10 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:29 am ...Are you not aware that 50% of the globe lives on less than $1 per day - many of them not happy or healthy, but working hard to survive?
If you want me to help them, I would need more specific information who they are. If you don't want help for them, then I understand if you don't want to tell exactly who they are.
Wth dude? What do you mean "If you want me to help them" - I thought God Himself told you to help them? What do I matter to you? This is what I don't understand about Christians! God tells you to do something - an atheist mentions it - and you attack the messenger! It's YOUR God! It's YOUR Religion!

I'm an atheist! Remember, I can do no good! I eat babies! I'm only in it for myself! You're the one who claims to be a follower of God Incarnate! Who judges your life and all you do, who told you what to do!

Do Christians need a Master so desperately that they turn to Atheists to tell them what to do?

Honestly, I just think they sit comfortably in their First World houses, thinking they are being persecuted by Atheists because they say mean things and think they are living their full life as a Christian because of the inconveniences they encounter while working the 9 to 5.

(Meanwhile Doctors Without Borders - a secular organization with no reason, except for compassion - go to war zones and dangerous areas to save the helpless, the hungry, the sick, etc. They aren't the only group, and they don't only need doctors, but other people - even without college degrees. That's just one example.)

I just get tired of Christians telling me they have the only impeachable source of Morality, and that "By their Fruits" and then defend making lots of money, while not paying their staff, or whatever the excuse is. They live in relative luxury in the Western World and their Grand Commission act is to go 3 blocks away to knock on neighbors doors or some other meaningless act.

If you live in a Christian country, NEWSFLASH - Everyone has already heard about Jesus. Stop asking us if we have!

But, if you want to help people - like your God told you to - go to the corners of the world and HELP! You do it for God - not me. (Though I love the idea that you are asking me, and not your God....)
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm