Over sixty valid deities in the OT

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Over sixty valid deities in the OT

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So I knew there were other gods listed in the Torah/OT, but I didn't realize there were over sixty!

Sixty deities spoken about as if they were, to spout the phrase, "living gods."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... brew_Bible

How can the OT claim to be monotheistic, when Asherah (Ha-Sarah), is Yahweh's wife, and so many other deities are part of the narrative?

We all thought Judaism was monotheistic, but it has as many gods as any other religion.

Can anyone explain this?

If you are Judaic, is it OK to worship one of the less bloodthirsty ones? Dagon, god of grain and the oceans, seems nice.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #51

Post by Tart »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 49 by Tart]
ok, so we have concluded the Bible doesnt teach that God was married to Asherah..
Absolutely we have established that paper versions of the Bible do not, but clay versions do.

Please pay attention to the topic.
The majority of the references are of God commanding to not worship, and to destroy all these images of other gods, which include Asherah...
Over hundreds of years and the minority of these references praise her worship.
However, there may be a little bit of validity to suggest that Asherah was worshiped along side Yahweh.
And that is all you need. Period. Yahweh now has as much proof as her and the other gods, after all we must not focus on one...

So, your argument was completely self-defeating.

ok so here is the topic, and the original post (in bold, where my replies are not bold)

So I knew there were other gods listed in the Torah/OT, but I didn't realize there were over sixty!

They arent... The Bible doesnt teach of any other living Gods.

How can the OT claim to be monotheistic, when Asherah (Ha-Sarah), is Yahweh's wife, and so many other deities are part of the narrative?

it doesnt teach Asherah is Yahweys wife, or that any other god is real. Every other god is a false God, and certainly not living, thus it teaches monotheism.

We all thought Judaism was monotheistic, but it has as many gods as any other religion.

Can anyone explain this?

yes, every other god is false, and not even alive.. It is monotheistic

Willum
Savant

Post #52

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 51 by Tart]

Repeating the same claims does not make your argument not self-defeating.
You have shown, quite elegantly, that there are plenty of deities.

tam
Savant

Re: Over sixty valid deities in the OT

Post #53

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Tcg wrote:
tam wrote: Peace to you,
Tcg wrote:
Willum wrote: So I knew there were other gods listed in the Torah/OT, but I didn't realize there were over sixty!

Your reference lists 57 and I see at least one overlap. The "God of Israel" is listed as is "Yahweh". You might only have about 50 or so. In any case, your point is well made from this list.
There are at least ten overlaps.
No matter how we resolve these overlaps, that still leaves us with well over 40 gods. Once the count exceeds one, monotheism has been left behind.

Well over forty certainly qualifies as more than one. The count after one is irrelevant really which is why I stated to Willum that, "In any case, your point is well made from this list."

Quibbling over whether it is 40 or 50 at this point is simply a method of ignoring the clear implications that even 2 would show.

What implications? That people (including Israel) worshiped other gods? Who is disputing that? Who has ever disputed that?

I also wrote this in the same post that you responded to above:

As to the rest (though there is overlap among the false gods on that page as well, such as asherah pole and asherah) there is no question that people worshiped multiple gods; including Israel. But Israel was rebuked continuously for doing this, for adopting the ways and the gods of the nations around them. Just because the bible mentions something does not mean that the bible is saying those things are true (or valid). False things are mentioned and called out as well. The golden calf is listed as one of those gods on that wiki page, and Israel was rebuked for having done this horrible thing (for having made and then worshiped that golden calf).

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Tcg
Savant

Post #54

Post by Tcg »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 51 by Tart]

Are you suggesting that, "Thus sayeth the Tart", is not convincing to you?

If so, I couldn't agree more.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by Tart »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 51 by Tart]

You have shown, quite elegantly, that there are plenty of deities.
Ok well if acknowledging false gods exists, somehow defines their belief in god. Then atheism is really theistic polytheism...

Do you really think this is rational ?

Willum
Savant

Post #56

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Tart]

Tart,Tart, Tart, Tart, Tart...
But you didn’t do that, you put them on equal footing. Either there are many gods, and God, or you said they are all equally false.

Perhaps you should be more mindful in your claims and ‘Apologetics.’
I can forgive you your claims, but not your reasoning.
Best regards

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by Tart »

Willum wrote: [Replying to Tart]

Tart,Tart, Tart, Tart, Tart...
But you didn’t do that, you put them on equal footing. Either there are many gods, and God, or you said they are all equally false.

Perhaps you should be more mindful in your claims and ‘Apologetics.’
I can forgive you your claims, but not your reasoning.
Best regards
Willum... Do you really think this is a rational discussion?

Willum
Savant

Post #58

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 57 by Tart]

Well, we have one devotee in complete denial, one willing to bastardize scripture, and still another whose rationales are crashing into each other...

This is all done under MY cause of trying to convince people fairy tales are not real.
Do I really think this is a rational discussion? No, this is a decent into madness trying to rescue those who are already mad.
Figuratively speaking.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #59

Post by Tart »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 57 by Tart]

Well, we have one devotee in complete denial, one willing to bastardize scripture, and still another whose rationales are crashing into each other...

This is all done under MY cause of trying to convince people fairy tales are not real.
Do I really think this is a rational discussion? No, this is a decent into madness trying to rescue those who are already mad.
Figuratively speaking.
So basically you are unable to reason with people... Is that what you are saying? becuase that would actually make sense...

I think we should actually think critically about our beliefs, but when it goes into nonsense, you just got to ask.. Really? You really believe this is rational?

I guess we have nothing more to discuss

Willum
Savant

Post #60

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 59 by Tart]

I am trying to show that, the reasoning of those that believe in the Bible is inconsistent and so false, using the object of those beliefs, the Bible, as the proof that it is, itself, false.
So in the sense that the Bible is unreasonable, yes, I am unable to reason with you(pl).