What does Paul mean by "sin?"

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Difflugia
Prodigy

What does Paul mean by "sin?"

Post #1

Post by Difflugia »

What does Paul mean by "sin," particularly as a noun in Romans? What does it mean to be "under sin" (3:9) or for sin to be "in the world," but not "reckoned" or "imputed" (5:13)? Is the sin that "reigned in death" (5:21) just a metaphorical description of personal sins that can be "covered" (4:7), or are they different things?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: What does Paul mean by "sin?"

Post #21

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 amSo women having pain during childbirth has nothing to do with the sin from the garden?
Let me ask you a couple questions.
Odd way to respond to a yes/no question. Odd, but far too common unfortunately.
Was Eve deceived?
Who could really know? Either way, my wife suffered during childbirth and Christians claim as does the Bible that it is due to what happened in the garden.
Second question; what was the first effect of their sin? Shame. And it wasn't a punishment, was it?
Shame was not the claimed punishment for the sin others committed in the garden. Childbirth was. I understand you would probably prefer to talk about shame or prophecies though, but please stay focused.
No. Here is something we need to address. Prophecy.
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :anger:
Clownboat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 am"I'm sending your dad to prison, but you will not be punished for the crime, well besides for ol childbirth pains and not being allowed to remain in the garden" thing.
So which is a predictable outcome based upon environmental factors and which is a direct punishment?
According to the Bible, Adam and Eve should be punished, not mothers giving birth for example.
Hint: We weren't' in the garden.
Hint, the garden cannot be shown to a real place in the first place. It appears to be nothing more than a story in the Bible written by unknown people who were attempt to explain the world they saw around them.
Or we live in the environment created by the alleged crimes.

Eve receives the next punishment. Childbearing will be painful from now on (Gen. 3:16). In addition, this dysfunctional family dynamic between husband and wife will continue. The woman will desire to be in charge of the man. “If Mama ain’t happy,” then no one from this point on will be happy. In order for her husband to be heard and respected and followed, where he should lead and shepherd, instead, he will now attempt to “rule” by bullying his way through the home utilizing his words, his physique, or his demeanor to establish dominance. Everyone sees a level of this dynamic played out in every marriage, but God even provides a way to reverse this curse by husbands loving their wives and wives submitting to their husbands (Eph. 5:21-33).
http://www.travisagnew.org/2013/07/04/p ... he-garden/
I am not said person. Any reason you chose not to defend your statement?:
"What the 2nd one claimed is that you reap what you sow,"
Murder statistics for starters don't suggest that your claim reflects reality.

From my life experience, what you say is nothing more than a religious platidude that comes from the pulpit to those in the seats. Sounds great, expecially right after a person just gave 10% or more of their income to said pulpit. They can then employ faith to feel good about the money they no longer have and they can feel like they will be blessed for it. Again, something we could detect in the real world that we do not.

Maybe he is just no willing to share?
Haggai 2:8 The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.
Okay. You seem to have two points here. 1 Most murderers don't get punished
That is an observation that has been evidenced here. The reason for it was to show that the 'you will reap what you sow' comment is not reflective of what we see in society.
There doesn't seem to be any reward for tithing as promised.
This is another observation that has been made. Care to refute it?
In both cases you are jumping the gun. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that anyone murdering anyone else in this time will be punished by God in this time. Even the Bible doesn't reflect that happening in every case in the time it was written. The unfaithful will be punished for murder while the faithful will be rewarded for their giving. When God's kingdom is restored on earth with sin and death being no more.

Nothing but tired religious platitudes. Please show that you speak the truth. Show that my observations are incorrect about how people often do not reap what they sow. You can't, you can only point to the 'unknown'. That is where the gods and afterlifes are found.
So if you are looking for God to be your own personal executioner and cash cow you kind of got lost in interpretation.

How you could read my words and arrive at this conclusion shows who is lost here IMO. Readers will decide for themselves.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb