The promise of eternal life.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

The promise of eternal life.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Most, if not all, religions include a promise of eternal life. Of course, in most cases the promise includes a requirement to follow what that specific religion or branch of said religion requires to attain eternal life.

Can the promise of eternal life be supported with verifiable evidence?

If not, why do so many accept the promise of eternal life?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: The promise of eternal life.

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 am ,

Most, if not all, religions include a promise of eternal life. Of course, in most cases the promise includes a requirement to follow what that specific religion or branch of said religion requires to attain eternal life.

Can the promise of eternal life be supported with verifiable evidence?

If not, why do so many accept the promise of eternal life?

Tcg
I've always found it interesting on how people of various beliefs, that have 'seen the other side', often see the other side as their POV describes.
Besides that, I think there are those that have 'experiences' that many could (and do) attribute to the afterlife. Rather or not it is remains - and will always remain - to be seen.
As energy can't be created nor destroyed, as we're all energy of some type, it stands to reason that, at least on the energy level, we will 'live forever'. Rather or not this correlates to people being able to 'consciously experience living forever' is unknown.
As far as 'the promise', it stands to reason, to me, anything that contemplates eternity would create an after life to appease their lack of understanding of said 'eternity'.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:43 am
As energy can't be created nor destroyed, as we're all energy of some type, it stands to reason that, at least on the energy level, we will 'live forever'. Rather or not this correlates to people being able to 'consciously experience living forever' is unknown.
Well sure something of us will exist after our death. This doesn't mean the promise many religions make about a conscious eternal life are true. Heck, when I cut my toenails, they end up somewhere, but I can't use them to think or feel or anything else.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:53 am
Well sure something of us will exist after our death. This doesn't mean the promise many religions make about a conscious eternal life are true. Heck, when I cut my toenails, they end up somewhere, but I can't use them to think or feel or anything else.

Tcg
It doesn't mean it's true, you're right. But it doesn't mean it's not true, either. What it does mean, in some fashion, is this concept allows the belief of an afterlife to continue and sometimes grow (at least in modern times).
Maybe 'the afterlife' isn't what many religions think it is, while still existing?

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:59 am

Tcg
It doesn't mean it's true, you're right. But it doesn't mean it's not true, either. What it does mean, in some fashion, is this concept allows the belief of an afterlife to continue and sometimes grow (at least in modern times).
Maybe 'the afterlife' isn't what many religions think it is, while still existing?
I didn't ask if it was true or not, I asked, "Can the promise of eternal life be supported with verifiable evidence?"

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 am

Tcg
I didn't ask if it was true or not, I asked, "Can the promise of eternal life be supported with verifiable evidence?"

Tcg
And as I said, evidence exists in the experiences of others. Rather or not they can be trusted in another matter.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am

Tcg

Tcg
And as I said, evidence exists in the experiences of others. Rather or not they can be trusted in another matter.
I didn't ask about "experiences of others", I asked about verifiable evidence.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 am

Tcg

Tcg

Tcg
You asked about verifiable evidence. The only evidence I've seen are the experiences of others. If you choose not to accept those as verifiable evidence, that's your call, of course.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:12 am

Tcg

Tcg

Tcg
You asked about verifiable evidence. The only evidence I've seen are the experiences of others. If you choose not to accept those as verifiable evidence, that's your call, of course.
What are the experiences of others that you consider to be verifiable evidence?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Veridican »

Tcg
You keep droning on with that request, but you haven't even defined "life." I think we can agree that death is the absence of life, so we have death defined. But if you can't define life, then no one can even attempt to give you what you're looking for.

18. The followers said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
19. Jesus said, "Have you discovered the beginning, then, so that you are seeking the end? For where the beginning is the end will be. Blessings on one who stands at the beginning: That one will know the end and will not taste death."

Gospel of Thomas, v. 18-19 (Meyer, 1992 ed.)
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave: