Easter Traditions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Easter Traditions?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Are there any Easter Traditions that are related specifically to Jesus' resurrection? The Easter eggs hunts, bunnies and pastel-colored candies seem to be a celebration of spring. Certainly, sermons will be preached on Jesus' resurrection, but are there any Easter Traditions that Christians practice with their families that are focused on Jesus?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Easter Traditions?

Post #121

Post by JehovahsWitness »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:31 am

I doubt that it washes for you to claim that this was all kept secret so that it wouldn't be known that the Sanhedrin were breaking the rules. ...
I have tried to be very clear which rules were "secretly" (as in not in full public view) broken , according to the narrative. If you have something concrete to add, feel free quote me (I have numbered my points) say I am wrong, and then present your evidence supporting the claim that the sentence I wrote was in error.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #122

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:49 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:36 am
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am... the alleged last supper of Jesus was supposed to be on the first day of passover, which would have made the trial of Jesus fall on passover ...
The Passover meal (sedar) was not considered a "Holy Convention " ; the people did not gather at the TEMPLE, but in families and small groups for a religious tradition. While it was part of the "Passover Season" and sometomes colloqually referred to as "the first day of the Passover [ festival] " it was not considered a Sabbath.
It cannot be held on a Sabbath or feast day (Sanhedrin 4:1).
It was not held on a Sabbath or a feast day. (See above)

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #123

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am..That doesn't even start to address the idea that the Roman Soldiers would be arresting people on behalf of the Sanhedrin...
Where did you get the idea that Jesus was arrested by Roman soldiers?
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am..... executing them on their behalf.
That Jesus was executed by Roman authorities is a matter of the historical record: Tacitus, the Roman historian, wrote about Jesus being put to death by Pontius Pilate in his historical work the Annals (Book 15, Chapter 44).

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE PASSOVER, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ... SABBATH KEEPING
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #124

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:07 pm
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am..That doesn't even start to address the idea that the Roman Soldiers would be arresting people on behalf of the Sanhedrin...
Where did you get the idea that Jesus was arrested by Roman soldiers?
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am..... executing them on their behalf.
That Jesus was executed by Roman authorities is a matter of the historical record: Tacitus, the Roman historian, wrote about Jesus being put to death by Pontius Pilate in his historical work the Annals (Book 15, Chapter 44).
:D I agree. While it is generally supposed that Pilate's Auxiliaries were involved in the arrest of Jesus, the gospels have it that it was the Chief priests (Sadducees) elders (I suppose the Pharisee rabbis) with perhaps some temple police or bouncers, that did it.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am

I doubt that it washes for you to claim that this was all kept secret so that it wouldn't be known that the Sanhedrin were breaking the rules. ...
I have tried to be very clear which rules were "secretly" (as in not in full public view) broken , according to the narrative. If you have something concrete to add, feel free quote me (I have numbered my points) say I am wrong, and then present your evidence supporting the claim that the sentence I wrote was in error.
Sorry 8-) the rules you said were broken like illegal arrest seem more to be based on police procedure today. I am disinclined to trawl though your previous posts and links especially as this Sanhedrin rule -breaking discussion only seems to have popped up over the last page or two. I have followed your links before and they either linked to previous posts of yours :| or to JW apologetics that were frankly unsatisfactory, even if at all relevant.

So again I have to ask that you support your accusation of the Sanhedrin breaking ritual rules by their actions during the trial, as distinct from any suppose irregularities in the arrest and grilling of Jesus in the High priests' house, which is another matter. And I already did for any suggestion that the Sanhedrin council was not legally convened.

Ball is back in your court.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #125

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:36 am
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 am... the alleged last supper of Jesus was supposed to be on the first day of passover, which would have made the trial of Jesus fall on passover ...
The Passover meal (sedar) was not considered a "Holy Convention " ; the people did not gather at the TEMPLE, but in families and small groups for a religious tradition. While it was part of the "Passover Season" and sometomes colloqually referred to as "the first day of the Passover [ festival] " it was not considered a Sabbath.
It cannot be held on a Sabbath or feast day (Sanhedrin 4:1).
Considering that the last supper was celebrating Passover, either the story about the last supper is not true, or your statement it can not be a feastday is not true. That ceremony is held the first day of Passover, and then the period for Passover lasts 8 days.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #126

Post by Goat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am

Then, it wasn't a trial. If it's secretly, how did the writers of the gospels know about it? Having it a secret trial, where suddenly this random person who is writing 40 years or more after the fact doesn't make the story very convincing. It's very conspiracy level thinking, 'oh, we have a secret trial for Jesus', and 'THere are aliens in area 51'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

pjharrison57
Student

Post #127

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to brunumb in post #99]

No there is no neither. If not God in Heaven. Then the God of this world.

pjharrison57
Student

Post #128

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #101]

If not by God in Heaven, then the god of this world. Atheism and all the other things are under the God of this world.

Tcg
Savant

Post #129

Post by Tcg »

pjharrison57 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #99]

No there is no neither. If not God in Heaven. Then the God of this world.
You are ignoring the fact that atheists are not convinced that any gods exist. This includes a God in heaven and a god of this world. If an atheist celebrates Easter by hiding eggs for their children, they are not celebrating Satan or the Devil or whatever. They are simply playing a fun game with their kiddos. So, yes, there is at least another choice. Stated simply, no gods.

It is an absurdity to suggest that one who doesn't follow a certain God must therefore follow some other specific god. There are of course thousands to choose from and as has already been mentioned, none is also a choice. A very wise one I might add.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #130

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 am

It [the trial of Jesus] cannot be held on a Sabbath or feast day (Sanhedrin 4:1).
Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 pm I

Considering that the last supper was celebrating Passover [Sedar meal], either the story about the last supper is not true, or your statement it can not be a feastday is not true.
If by " feast day" you mean during one of the thrice early TEMPLE based holy conventions, then my statement is absolutely correct.
  • There is ample evidence Jesus "evening meal" (when he shared the bread and wine with his disciples) was during the Sedar memorial meal

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 pmThat ceremony is held the first day of Passover ...
See post #85

Goat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 pm
That ceremony is held the first day of Passover, and then the period for Passover lasts 8 days.

The Festival was SEVEN not 8 days long. There were several different "ceremonies" during the Passover period.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.