What is the Biblical view of hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: The concept of Hell is one of the many unmarketable, embarrassingly unbelievable religious concepts that has been recently swept under the altar in the severely diluted quasi-belief system that passes for Christianity in certain circles.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: What is the Biblical view of hell?

Post #641

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pmSo in your example, when Jesus said the word "sheep" he meant "humans". Jesus was not giving a lesson in animal husbandry but telling a story to teach (not about literal sheep) but about people . He was saying one word "sheep" but it was "code" for "people". Why? That there was something about literal real sheep that he was applying to the object of his illustration(the people).
That's right.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pmIn short, what was death "code" for?
It doesn't matter. Our discussion here isn't about the metaphorical meaning of the story, but the details about literal Hades.

Literal sheep wander off. Literal Hades is a place of torment.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pmIf we remove the preconcieved idea that death/hades is literally a place of agony (which was never originally part of the Hebrew tradition) we can examine the text without bias, as Jesus' audience would have done, and not miss the indicators Luke provides in his narrative as to meaning.
It's a literal detail of the story: "In Hades, he lifted up his eyes, being in torment...." That's the opposite of preconceived.

You and onewithinhim have claimed over and over again that the Hades of Luke 16 is different than the real Hades, but no other parables show such a distinction. Parable sheep are the same as real sheep, parable shepherds are the same as real shepherds, and parable fathers of wayward sons behave just as real fathers do.

Why should we think that Luke 16:19-31 is different than every other parable in that one way?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #642

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:38 am ... Literal Hades is a place of torment.
And what proof do you have in support of this statement?

JW

RELATED POSTS
Luke 16:22-30 : Does the parable of The Rich man and Lazarus teach us about life beyond the grave?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 77#p971077

In the parable of The Rich man and Lazarus, was death a metaphor for .... "death" ?
viewtopic.php?p=1027531#p1027531

The Rich man and Lazarus: Is it "circular reasoning" to use Jesus illustration alone to prove "death" and "hades" is a place of torment?
viewtopic.php?p=1027686#p1027686

Does Luke 12:5 indicate there is a part of a person living after they die ?
viewtopic.php?p=1027464#p1027464

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HADES , GEHENNA, and ... HELLFIRE TORTURE DEBUNKED

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #643

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pmAnd what proof do you have in support of this statement?
Luke's Jesus said so in a parable. You know, that thing this whole conversation is about?

Why should we think that Luke 16:19-31 is different than every other parable in that one way?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #644

Difflugia wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:38 am ... Literal Hades is a place of torment.
Difflugia wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Luke's Jesus said so in a parable.
He did nothing of the kind. The "hades of his parable" was a place of torment. He made no statement as to whether "literal Hades is a place of torment", what the properties of literal hades are and which, if any of those properties Jesus was alluding to, is the question under discussion.

The fallacy of circular argument, known as petitio principii (“begging the question”), occurs when the premises presume, openly or covertly, the very conclusion that is to be demonstrated (example: “Gregory always votes wisely.” “But how do you know?” “Because he always votes Libertarian.”).[/quote]

FALLACIES
https://www.informationisbeautiful.net/ ... fallacies/

RELATED POSTS
What is "argumentum ad populum"?
viewtopic.php?p=1048524#p1048524

What is Ad hominem?
viewtopic.php?p=1068290#p1068290

What is circular reasoning [begging the question]?
viewtopic.php?p=1027604#p1027604

What is the fallacy of equivocation [first & last] ?
viewtopic.php?p=1020274#p1020274

What is the fallacy of special pleading ?
viewtopic.php?p=1072425#p1072425

What is the fallacy of the consequent?
viewtopic.php?p=1073114#p1073114

What is the fallacy of "false equivalence"?
viewtopic.php?p=1074577#p1074577

What is the fallacy of "strawman"?
viewtopic.php?p=1079683#p1079683

What is the fallacy of composition [true christian]?
viewtopic.php?p=1026784#p1026784

What is the QUOTE MINING ?
viewtopic.php?p=1104844#p1104844
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOGIC , FALLACIES and ... EVIDENCE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #645

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 pm The "hades of his parable" was a place of torment. He made no statement as to whether "literal Hades is a place of torment", what the properties of literal hades are and which, if any of those properties Jesus was alluding to, is the question under discussion. The fallacy of circular argument...
LOL!!! Why should anyone feel free to presume that literal Hades of those who have died unrepentant of their sin (which is quite obviously the rich man's spiritual state) is any different from the Hades that Christ portrays in His parable, that they are two different things or have any "differing properties"? To do so is literally to put words in Jesus's mouth, and to change the very crux and force of His parable altogether. There is no "circular argument." Difflugia is right.

Grace and peace to you.
Last edited by PinSeeker on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #646

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 pm
Difflugia wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Luke's Jesus said so in a parable.
He did nothing of the kind. The "hades of his parable" was a place of torment. He made no statement as to whether "literal Hades is a place of torment", what the properties of literal hades are and which, if any of those properties Jesus was alluding to, is the question under discussion.
Your denial of one of my premises (which I've offered further support for, by the way) doesn't mean my argument based on it is circular. Luke's Jesus told a story about someone being tormented in Hades and that's my evidence that Hades is a place of torment, which is what you asked for. You pretending now that your question was a different one (i.e. "What's your evidence that Luke's quote actually applies to Hades?") doesn't make for a fallacy on my part.

You have denied that it applies because it's metaphor. The details in all of the other metaphorical parables apply to reality, though.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #647

Difflugia wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:26 am
Did I say Luke 16:19-31 is different than every other parable in any way?

JW

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #648

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 pmDid I say Luke 16:19-31 is different than every other parable in any way?
OK, I'm not sure what game you're playing at the moment, but there are several answers depending on what you're fishing for (unless it's just the last word).

The current discussion hinges on a statement made by onewithhim:
onewithhim wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:57 pmLuke 16:23 is the only place where people can point to to try to support their doctrine that Hades is a place of conscious torment. This section of Scripture has been shown to be METAPHORICAL in nature, and absolutely not literal. Everything else in the account is metaphorical.
Since you were continuing the argument and never said anything different, I assumed that was the basis of your argument as well. If it is, neither you nor she has justified why the details of all of the other metaphorical parables nevertheless reflect reality.

If that's not your argument, then you made several statements with a similar theme:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 am.... in one parabel (fictional story) give by Jesus to illustrate the stubborn heart conditions of the religions leaders alive in his day, not any afterdeath torture.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:24 pm * Parables about sheep are not usually about sheep, parables about losing coins are not usually about losing coins, so why is a parable about losing your life about losing your life?

The point about parables is they usually teach moral issues rather than shed light on literal "physical" realities. Their point lies in attitude and principles, they are about love, jealous, goodness, evil. So (for example) the parable about the hired workers may be about jealousy, hard work, mercy and rewards but NOT about what happens To people after a day's work.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pmSo in your example, when Jesus said the word "sheep" he meant "humans". Jesus was not giving a lesson in animal husbandry but telling a story to teach (not about literal sheep) but about people . He was saying one word "sheep" but it was "code" for "people". Why? That there was something about literal real sheep that he was applying to the object of his illustration(the people).
If those reflect the entirety of your argument, then your argument is a non sequitur and is invalid. The underlying allegorical meaning of a story has absolutely nothing at all to do with whether the literal details do or don't reflect reality.

The claim that onewithhim made is at least logically valid (i.e. that the details in metaphor themselves, regardless of underlying meaning, can't be used to draw conclusions about reality) and would be meaningful to the argument if true (or probably true). Neither of you has provided any support aside from the assertion itself, however. On the other hand, I pointed out that it's decidedly not true for every other New Testament parable; all of the mundane details accurately reflect the real-world details of the objects involved. If the parable of Lazarus and the rich man is different, you'll need a better reason than "Jehovah's Witnesses think so."

So, that should bring you back up to date and is maybe helpful to anyone else trying to follow this thread (God help him or her). Perhaps you'd be kind enough to return the favor and tell us which of these arguments you're making, or if not one of these, please state your argument as completely and concisely as you can. Then offer some support for it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #649

Difflugia wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:58 pm
If that's not your argument, then you made several statements with a similar theme:

None of the quotations hou present have me stating {quote} "Luke 16:19-31 is different than every other parable" on the contrary my posts explicitly state that I believe Jesus parables respect the commonalities of all parabels i.e. taking a reality in the real world ("sheep") to teach a moral issue about something different("people").

Your however Said . ..

...and I asked you to prove this without begging the question. Can you?

JW

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #650

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 pmNone of the quotations hou present have me stating {quote} "Luke 16:19-31 is different than every other parable" on the contrary my posts explicitly state that I believe Jesus parables respect the commonalities of all parabels i.e. taking a reality in the real world ("sheep") to teach a moral issue about something different("people").
This must either be an inaccurate or incomplete statement of your claim, because otherwise you'd agree with me that torture in Hades is "a reality in the real world."
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 pm
Difflugia wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:38 am... Literal Hades is a place of torment.
...and I asked you to prove this without begging the question. Can you?
Yes. Luke 16:23 says that it is and in TD&D, the Bible is authoritative.