Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeMama
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by JoeMama »

The Bible indicates that 144,000 people will be resurrected to heavenly life. (Revelation 7:4)

Have that many people since the dawn of time already entered heaven? How do you know?

Savant

Re: 144,4000

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:16 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:36 am
JoeMama wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:17 am The Bible indicates that 144,000 people will be resurrected to heavenly life. (Revelation 7:4)
That is a special group from the tribulation, not all that ever will be resurrected.

And I said to him, Sir, you know. And he said to me, These are those coming out of the great tribulation; and they washed their robes and whitened them in the blood of the Lamb.
Rev. 7:14

After these things I saw, and behold, a great crowd which no one was able to number them, out of every nation, even tribes and peoples and tongues standing in front of the throne, and before the Lamb, having been clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands.
Rev. 7:9
So where does it say that anyone else will be sealed as servants of god, as the 144,000 were?

Did I say they are same way sealed servants of God?

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by Falling Light 101 »

the two instances of the groups mentioned in the book of Revelation numbered to be - 144,000

could not this be two entirely separate and two different groups of people ? some Christians believe that these two places of mentioned 144,000 - are perhaps the same group of people.

we know about the 144,000 " virgins " who follow the lamb and sing songs in Rev 14:4

Rev 14:4 - from the Greek manuscripts

THESE ARE WHOM AMONG WOMEN NOT ARE DEFILED. VIRGINS FOR THEY ARE,,, THESE WHO ARE FOLLOWING THE LAMB WHERE EVER HE GOES, ,,, THEY ARE REDEEMED FROM THE MAN / MANKIND, ,,, FIRST FRUITS OF THE GOD AND OF THE LAMB.

Rev 14:2  And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:  :3  And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and NO ONE could learn that song except for the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. 

i can only imagine how beautiful that will be -the voice of harpers harping with their harps - no other could learn that song.

the second groups of 144,000 is mentioned in - Rev 7:4

Rev 7:4  And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

I believe that this is two different separate groups of people and that there are 144,000 virgins who are specifically mentioned as strictly women - females

and that another group of - 144,000 of all the tribes of Israel are not given a sexual gender are a totally separate group of people.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Falling Light 101 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:05 pm ... there are 144,000 virgins who are specifically mentioned as strictly women - females
I can find no translation that renders Rev 14:4 as you have done nor any that can read that the number are "strictly women"

Various translations : https://biblehub.com/revelation/14-4.htm

REVELATION 14: 4 NWT

These are the ones who did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins....
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:05 pm
JoeMama wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:17 am The Bible indicates that 144,000 people will be resurrected to heavenly life. (Revelation 7:4)
That is a special group from the tribulation, not all that ever will be resurrected.

And I said to him, Sir, you know. And he said to me, These are those coming out of the great tribulation; and they washed their robes and whitened them in the blood of the Lamb.

After these things I saw, and behold, a great crowd which no one was able to number them, out of every nation, even tribes and peoples and tongues standing in front of the throne, and before the Lamb, having been clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands.
So where does it say that anyone else will be sealed as servants of god, as the 144,000 were?

No you didn't and I don't believe your Bible says they were. I'm just wondering why you're bothering to bring it up if you don't think they will be sealed as servants of god, as the 144,000 were.

So, if you don't think they will be sealed as servants of god, as the 144,000 were why are you bothering to bring up the great crowd?

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Post #15

ooh yea, I completely understand what you are saying

let's take a closer look at the Greek manuscripts - just to see what is being expressed

When we read Rev 14:4  from the Greek Manuscripts, we can clearly see exactly the exact message of the authors.

Here is the exact word for word translation.
Rev 14:4  ουτοι these - εισιν are - οι whom - μετα among - γυναικων women - ουκ not - εμολυνθησαν are defiled, ,,, - παρθενοι virgins - γαρ for - εισιν they are, ,,,
Ουτοι These - εισιν are - οι who - ακολουθουντες are following - τω the - αρνιω lamb - οπου where ever - αν he - υπαγη goes - ουτοι they - ηγορασθησαν are redeemed - απο - from - των the - ανθρωπων man / mankind - απαρχη firstfruits - τω of the - θεω God - και and - τω of the - αρνιω  lamb.

Meaning = Rev 14:4  - from the Greek manuscripts
THESE ARE WHOM with / AMONG WOMEN NOT ARE DEFILED. VIRGINS FOR THEY ARE. THESE WHO ARE FOLLOWING THE LAMB WHERE EVER HE GOES, ,,, THEY ARE REDEEMED FROM THE MAN / MANKIND, ,,, FIRST FRUITS OF THE GOD AND OF THE LAMB.

The main focus of those who believe that these virgins are strictly male sex - is to focus in on the single word that the translators translate as the word “ WITH “ as it is translated
“ These are whom WITH women - not are defiled “

But if we know the fact that in the Bible - there is nowhere in the bible such reality or existence of a literal physical male virgin - in the bible. This does not exist / It is impossible / not possible for a Godly Male, serving God, to physically be a physical virgin. Unless this man is physically being connected to sexual intercourse / relations with another male of same male sex and described as { penetrated or infiltrated by another male and involved - in same sex relations.

There is no such an idea in the entire bible of a Virgin Male – the concept does not exist.
When we look at Rev 14:4  - as “ These virgins are whom “ WITH “ women - THESE ARE WHOM with / AMONG WOMEN NOT ARE DEFILED, we can easily see that the Greek word “ with / AMONG “ is the Greek word …….
……… μετά - Meta - Met-ah'

μετά - Meta - a primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly denoting ACCOMPANIMENT;
with - which it is joined; OCCUPYING an intermediate position between
Just as we see the translators use the word “ μετά AMONG “ to demonstrate the meaning of the word. μετά - Meta - with / AMONG
Luk 22:37  Why seek ye the living “ μετά AMONG “ the dead? 
Joh 6:43  Murmur not μετά AMONG “ yourselves. 
Joh 11:56  Then they ....... spake “ μετά AMONG “ themselves

The word in the bible - WITH / AMONG is the word

μετά - Meta - Met-ah'
A primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly denoting accompaniment;
with - which it is
joined; occupying an intermediate position between
AMONG , - Of the same relations of participation or proximity, and transfer or sequence.

This Greek word is used a total of 462 total times in the NT, here are just a few.

Mat 26:18  AMONG / WITH my disciples. 
Mat 25:10  They went in AMONG / WITH him to the marriage:
Mar 14:17   he cometh AMONG / WITH the twelve
Mar 14:33   And he taketh AMONG / WITH him Peter
Mat 26:69  Peter ..... You also was AMONG / WITH Jesus ?
Mat 26:71  This fellow was also AMONG / WITH Jesus
Mat 27:54  and they that were AMONG / WITH him
Mat 26:36  Then cometh Jesus AMONG / WITH them
Mat 16:27  come in the glory of his Father AMONG / WITH his angels
Mat 17:17  how long shall I be AMONG / WITH you?

This correctly would be translate this word - to be understood as “ μετά AMONG “ -It simply means among, among - amongst - along with - accompanying
- that which it is joined; occupying an intermediate position between
among, - of the same relations of participation or PROXIMITY, and transfer or sequence.
This is how the word “ with “ applies to the word - μετά / Meta = AMONG / WITH

It is not a SEXUAL word reflecting sexual activity or a sexual connection.

The reality is, that in the English Language - the word AMONG / WITH applies as two people only being together in some proximity or accompanying one another - and when there are more than two people accompanying one another - the word AMONG sounds completely natural in the English Language.
And see this clearly in the few examples below.
Mat 28:12  they were assembled AMONG / WITH the elders
Mat 27:53  They came out of the graves WITH his resurrection
Mat 26:40  watch AMONG / WITH me one hour? 
Mat 25:31  all the holy angels AMONG / WITH him.
Rev 22:21  Christ be AMONG / WITH you all. Amen. 
Mat 26:38  watch AMONG / WITH me. 
Mat 26:73  And AMONG / WITH a while
Mat 26:2  after AMONG / WITH two days
Mat 24:29  after AMONG / WITH the tribulation
Mat 26:11  the poor always AMONG / WITH you
Mat 18:16  take AMONG / WITH thee
Mat 20:2  agreed AMONG / WITH
Mat 20:20  mother AMONG / WITH her sons
Mat 21:2  a colt together AMONG / WITH her { a donkey }
Mat 22:16  their disciples AMONG / WITH the Herodians
Mat 1:12  they were brought AMONG / WITH him
Mat 2:3  all Jerusalem AMONG / WITH him
Mat 1:23  virgin shall be AMONG / WITH child
Mat 2:11  young child AMONG / WITH Mary his mother
Mat 4:21  AMONG / WITH Zebedee their father
Mat 5:25  Agree AMONG / WITH thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way AMONG / WITH him;
Mat 5:41  go AMONG / WITH him two miles
Mat 9:11  AMONG / WITH publicans and sinners? 
Mat 9:15  the bridegroom is AMONG / WITH them?
Mat 12:4  them which were AMONG / WITH him  
Mat 12:30  He that is not AMONG / WITH me
Mat 12:41  in judgment AMONG / WITH this generation  
Mat 12:42  judgment AMONG / WITH this generation
Mat 12:45  taketh WITH himself seven other
Mat 13:20  WITH joy receiveth it; 
Mat 14:7  he promised WITH an oath
Mat 15:30  having AMONG / WITH them the lame, blind, dumb and maimed
Mat 17:3  Moses and Elias talking WITH him. 
Mat 24:30  WITH power and great glory. 
Mat 24:31  WITH a great sound of a trumpet  
Mat 24:49  drink AMONG / WITH the drunken; 
Mat 24:51  AMONG / WITH the hypocrites . 
Mat 25:3  no oil AMONG / WITH them: 
Mat 26:20  sat down AMONG / WITH the twelve. 
Mat 26:23  AMONG / WITH me in the dish
Mat 26:29  drink it new AMONG / WITH you
Mat 26:47  AMONG / WITH him a great multitude
Mat 26:51  them which were AMONG / WITH Jesus
Mat 26:55  a thief WITH swords
Mat 26:58  sat AMONG / WITH the servants,
Mat 26:72  he denied AMONG / WITH an oath
Mat 27:34  vinegar to drink mingled AMONG / WITH gall
Mat 27:41  mocking him, AMONG / WITH the scribes and elders
Mat 27:62  AMONG / WITH the day of the preparation.
Mat 27:63  WITH three days I will rise again. 
Mat 27:66  and setting AMONG / WITH a watch. 
Mat 28:8  from the sepulchre AMONG / WITH fear
Mat 28:20  I am AMONG / WITH you always
Mar 14:14  eat the passover AMONG / WITH my disciples? 
Mar 14:18  One of you which eateth AMONG / WITH me
Mar 14:20  that dippeth AMONG / WITH me
Mar 14:28  But AMONG / WITH my rising
Rev 19:1  And AMONG / WITH these things I heard a great voice
Eph 6:7  AMONG / WITH good will doing service.

Especially - to “ Jehovah Witness believers “ who hold the faith that the 144,000 are strictly male sex and anyone whom also may believe that this is referring to a physical virginity of the males regarding abstaining from intercourse / relations with women there is one single question that I ask to all believers about this verse and this question has never been answered by my brothers and sisters who believe that these are virgins who are the strictly male sex.

My question is simply this.

What is it - spiritually about “ FEMALES “ that make them so evil and perverse and horrible - that these males who are not defiled by the female sex – are so special and chosen and holy. ? 
To where God has no concept of special group of females who are a chosen group, who have not been defiled by the male sex.

we see no place in the bible where God is beholding the male sex as honorable or as consecrated or holy or as consecrated or as righteous or as sanctified or as hallowed or divine by obtaining from getting married or having sexual relations with a woman.
Through 5000 + years of biblical history - 5000 + years of commandments, laws and ordinances, with every detail, feature and aspect and element concerning exact details of what God expects and considers holy and sacred -
For 5000 + years of the bible never once, is there any hint or suggestion anywhere whatsoever considering a male sacred or holy or Godly for existing as a virgin or abstaining and refraining from having a wife or keeping himself from women sexually.
Now suddenly, out of nowhere - in Rev 14:4  we see the translation

“ These are whom with women “ not are defiled. Virgins for they are.

What if we translate the verse in context to the rest of the bible.
“ These are whom - μετά / Meta = AMONG / WITH women “ not are defiled. Virgins for they are.

In conclusion, through 5000 + years of commandments, laws and ordinances, we see no place in the bible where God is beholding the male sex as honorable or as consecrated or holy or as righteous or as sanctified or hallowed or divine by obtaining from getting married or having sexual relations with a woman.
Through 5000 + years of biblical history - 5000 + years of THE BIBLE

NEVER ONCE, IS THERE ANY HINT OR SUGGESTION ANYWHERE WHATSOEVER CONSIDERING A MALE SACRED OR HOLY OR GODLY BY ABSTAINING AND REFRAINING FROM HAVING A WIFE OR KEEPING HIMSELF FREE FROM WOMEN SEXUALLY IN A GODLY MARRIAGE.

Why all a sudden do we need to “ invent “ a new doctrine or principle that stipulates that a male is somehow obedient unto God for not getting married and having relations with a woman.

when this concept does not exist anywhere
through 5000 + years of biblical history, if this was important for God that males refrain from marriage, would it not be clearly commanded and suggested somewhere in the scriptures ? ? ?

Why would anyone such as -- the 144,000 - - be suddenly given special status and honor and a place before the judgment of Gods throne for upholding something that is not mentioned in his word ?
If we adhere to the tradition that - these virgins are strictly male sex and honored for the abstaining from marriage in a “ physical sexuality “ ………

How did the entire body of all believers “ throughout all of Biblical history “ - out of all the billions of believers - they all completely missed or failed to understand and recognize the commandment and honor and never found this principle that the 144,000 virgins of strictly male sex had found in God’s word ? ?

This correctly would be translate this word - to be understood as “ μετά AMONG “ -It simply means among, among - amongst - along with – accompanying
Meaning = Rev 14:4 These are whom among women not are defiled. Virgins for they are.

there just simply is absolutely no such a thing, no concept as “ A MALE VIRGIN “ anywhere in the scriptures. The concept does not exist, until Rev 14:4 - These are whom among women

- that which it is joined; occupying an intermediate position between
among, - of the same relations of participation or PROXIMITY, and transfer or sequence.
This is how the word “ with “ applies to the word - μετά / Meta = AMONG / WITH

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Falling Light 101 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:40 pm the translators translate as the word “ WITH “ ...
Then clearly "with women" is a legitimate option, taken by most ( if not all) translators . " these are whom among women not are defiled" not only makes for a confusing and awkward syntax I suspect it is a grammatically inaccurate rendition. I do not read Greek but I suspect it would be possible from the grammar to identify whether "women" are the subject or the object of the verb (defiled).

Subject : the women defiled the 144, 000
Object [indirect]: the 144,00 defiled (themselves) with women

Falling Light 101 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:40 pm
... nowhere in the bible such reality or existence of a literal physical male virgin - in the bible.
  • Since Revelation is highly symbolic , there is reason to conclude their virginity was symbolic not physical.
  • The word "physical" or "literal" is nowhere to be found in the verse in question.
  • Every child is born a physical virgin and there are plenty of references in scripture to newborn babies, so technically there are plenty of physical male virgins in scripture
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:30 pm

No you didn't and I don't believe your Bible says they were. I'm just wondering why you're bothering to bring it up if you don't think they will be sealed as servants of god, as the 144,000 were.

So, if you don't think they will be sealed as servants of god, as the 144,000 were why are you bothering to bring up the great crowd?

Because earlier it looked like some think only 144000 are resurrected. My point was just to say that there will be more than 144000.

Miles
Savant

Post #18

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:22 am

Because earlier it looked like some think only 144000 are resurrected. My point was just to say that there will be more than 144000.
Are you suggesting that some of the 144,000 will be resurrected? I ask because resurrection is never mentioned.

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Post #19

If The Bible is identifying the Virgins as - { NOT DEFILED AMONG THE WOMAN / FEMALE }-

purely and simply because of the fact, that * for the very explicit, definite and defined, reason, purpose, explanation, - upon the sole purpose and grounds and basis that - Because that they ARE Virgins, what realistic view would understand this as a spiritual, abstract, figurative, symbolic and a metaphoric virginity. ?

They are VIRGINS “ because “ - “ for the purpose and reason “ that - they are not defiled among - / alongside, with the other women. Their virginity has clearly been defiled expressly upon the subject of existing as mentioning - female sexuality - woman - women

For example - was Paul holy because He never spiritually defiled Himself “ SPIRITUALLY “ - with other women ? 

what is the difference between being spiritually smudged, blemished, stained, tainted and tarnish and defiled by the female sex / women and being spiritually defiled among other men.

Why are the 144,000 only special because they have not been spiritually defiled by the female sex, notice that Rev 14:4 also tells us that These Virgins *( Women / Females ) here - These *( Virgins ) were redeemed from men but the Word “ Men “ here in the verse is not in Meaning or in Reference to a MALE But it is the Greek Word anthrōpos or Anthropod Greek 444 anthrōpos./ Anthropods ------- anth'-ro-pos / anthropod = Meaning Man faced, that is, A Human being: - Mankind. --------

This Greek word Meaning a Human Being or Mankind is Used in Mat 4:4 “ Mankind / man “ shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

The Greek word Anthropos / Anthropod does not Mean a Male seX But it simply means a Human Being. It can be used for either or both. There is a separate Greek word for Male and a separate Greek word for Humanity, Mankind.

The 144,000 in Rev 14:4 - are in fact Females - Women - Virgins who are not defiled among ( Meta ) women and were taken out of mankind *( Arthropods ) in the earth.

A male is never required to EVER, EVER even Consider His Virginity or Worry or Concern Himself with being a Virgin before He is Married. He Can Mary 10,000 times to many, many Virgins and Widows and Never will be required to be a Virgin. This is Basic Bible Stuff. ----------- The Idea does not exist in the Bible.
( yes - There is the concept of a Spiritual Virgin of the Polygamous Bride OF God who - if they leave polygamy marriage and spiritually fornicate against the bridegroom / God - it is committing spiritual fornication and adultery and divorce spiritually

BUT there is no Distinction between the Male and Female and There is no sexuality in the Bride of Christ. The Only requirements for a Male - Is that He Not Forsake His Wives, And Not Have seX with another Currently Married Woman. Or a prostitute. That's it - That's it Nothing more

We see Gods guidelines and rules and regulations concerning physical Polygamy Marriage….

EX 21:10 IF - ( A SON or MAN }- take himself “
ANOTHER WIFE “ her food, her raiment, and the duty of marriage, shall he not DIMINISH. ( of the other wife. ) 

And - DEU. 21:15 IF A MAN HAVE TWO WIVES,.: .. he may not give all inheritance to the son of the beloved wife and take away from the firstborn son of [THE UNFAVORED WIFE] which is indeed the firstborn. 

And - Deu 17:16 ( A King ) shall not multiply horses to himself, neither shall he multiply wives to himself
, to cause His heart to turn away ( { From God } )
neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold. 

The point of Deu 17:16 - was saying that a King was not to
multiply many, many wives and horses and gold and silver - that His Heart was turned and distracted away from serving God. - - The King and every man - was allowed to have more than one single horse and more than one single piece of gold and more than a single piece of silver - just as much as He was allowed to have more than a single wife. - -

But the King was not to greatly multiply the horses, silver and gold and multiply his wives to distract him to the point that causes his heart to be distracted and turned from focusing upon and following God.  - The verse is very clear. This is not prohibiting or commanding a King to not have many horses or many pieces of gold or silver - or more than one single wive.

God knows that his servants take more than one single wife, have many, many horses, much gold and silver - but in the multiplication and increasing wives to himself, was not to be to the extent that his heart turns away ( { From God } )
The passage uses the Hebrew word defined as - Multiplication - רָבָה - râbâh - MULTIPLY multiplicity

- רָבָה - râbâh / multiply = to increase in abundance - to continue enlarging, excelling, exceeding (-ly), to HEAP UP MANY (at a time), much (greater, more), (make to) multiply,

the Hebrew word “ ADDING “ is - יָסַף - yâsaph - ADDING - meaning - to add or augment - ( to continue to do a thing): -    add, - any more, - again, continue exceed further, - get more, - to proceed (further), prolong,

the passage does not say, do not “ יָסַף - yâsaph - ADD, more than one – of wives, or add much silver, much gold and many horses

rather, do not multiply his wives, or multiply much silver, much gold and many horses

the passage expressly says, to not - “ רָבָה - râbâh / multiply “
there is a difference between these two words and they are not the same meaning.

The 144,000 are identified as SEXUAL OBJECTS - under the specificatins and declarations that because of the fact that they had not been DEFILED SEXUALLY AMONG THE FEMALE SEX / females - they were virgins.  It is a physical classification- -

THE SPIRITUAL BRIDE OF CHRIST ARE NOT MALE AND FEMALE. – there is no such a idea of a spiritual female or spiritual male in the body of God - the anointing.

The Greek Word Used to describe the 144,000 in Rev 14 is the Greek word “ woman- gunē - goo-nay'. This word is used 221 times in the manuscripts and it always means a female. –

If there is no difference in Hebrew concerning Multiplying and Addition, then we are saying that the God of the Bible and the authors are completely unaware and ignorant of the difference - but this is not what we see when we read from the translation, multiplying and adding are two different words and are used purposefully, consistently and with determination with a totally different meaning in the manuscript passages of the Bible..

This is like saying that there is absolutely no difference in Greek - between male and female - but this is not what we see when we read from the translation.

The holy spirit uses the polygamy form of plural marriage in a symbolic way to describe himself as the husband of many plural believing wives - as his bride - because he knows that the society and believers reading the passages knew exactly what this means and the significance and importance and goodness and Godliness of a polygamous family living in faithful relationship

just because society 2000 years later does not like this - it does not change the fact that the entire Bible is pro polygamy in every way possible- the literal words of the manuscripts are designed and written and leaning to a pro – polygamy narrative…. it is the translators changing words, altering passages and deleting and removing and adding words - manipulating the translation in order to insert an anti – polygamy narrative upon everything - deliberately changing the message -- which goes against the nature of God himself.

If the original meaning and context of the manuscripts are important - why even pretend to have translated the word of God. ? - as if God is incapable of reading and writing and expressing his own message.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:26 pm
1213 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:22 am

Are you suggesting that some of the 144,000 will be resurrected? I ask because resurrection is never mentioned.

I think it was JoeMama who suggested it. Maybe it is not correct idea.