Is revivalism Biblical?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

Is revivalism Biblical?

Post #1

Post by Ross »

From the earliest Christianity to Catholicism, its related branches, and the subsequent Dark Ages, there have been many revivalisms. Including Protestantism, Unitarianism, Mormonism, The Millerites, Second Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Charismatic Pentecostalism and more. Excuse me if I have missed out your own faith.
But is there any Biblical support for a revivalist true Christian revolution or restoration; or are we all in an unholy doctrinal soup? And does the Almighty have a true church today?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is revivalism Biblical?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

IS REVIVALISM BIBLICAL?

While The term "revivalism" may arguably be considered somewhat of a misnomer, the restoration of true Christianity as an identifiable and organised body is indeed a biblical reality since a great APOSTACY was predicted in scripture and an awakening and regathering during " last days "/ the end times prophecied by Christ

END TIME RESORATION PROPHECIES

• The awakening of all ten virgins after a long period of inactivity (sleep) just prior to the master's return - Matthew 25:1-13
  • A prophecied period when Christianity (as established by Christ ) would once again be identifiable after a period of obscurity - Matthew 13 -see above
  • The end time prophetic call for God's people to exit Babylon the Great [The world empire of false religion] following her fall but prior to her destruction - Rev 18:4
  • prophecied enlightenment following an extended period spiritual darkness - Daniel 12:1-4, 9

JW

RELATED POSTS
When did "The Great Apostacy" take place?
viewtopic.php?p=1044471#p1044471

Does the teaching of "The Great apostasy" contradict Jesus statement at Matthew 16:18?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 09#p996209

Does the idea of a Great Apostacy negate the authenticity of the bible canon?
viewtopic.php?p=1045515#p1045515

Who Is the Antichrist?
viewtopic.php?p=1039331#p1039331

Who are the wheat and who are the weeds in Jesus illustration?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 74#p922074
To read more please go to other posts related to...

CHRISTIANITY and ...BABYLON THE GREAT and ... THE GREAT APOSTACY
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Ross
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Ross »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:21 pm IS REVIVALISM BIBLICAL?

While The term "revivalism" may arguably be considered somewhat of a misnomer, the restoration of true Christianity as an identifiable and organised body is indeed a biblical reality since a great APOSTACY was predicted in scripture and an awakening and regathering during " last days "/ the end times prophecied by Christ

• The awakening of all ten virgins after a long period of inactivity (sleep) just prior to the master's return - Matthew 25:1-13
  • A prophecied period when Christianity (as established by Christ ) would once again be identifiable after a period of obscurity - Matthew 13 -see above
  • The end time prophetic call for God's people to exit Babylon the Great [The world empire of false religion] following her fall but prior to her destruction - Rev 18:4
  • prophecied enlightenment following an extended period spiritual darkness - Daniel 12:1-4, 9
Thank you for your post. But I can observe no valid argumentation against the points made either in my introduction of the thread, or my comments to your colleague.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #13

Post by onewithhim »

Ross wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:48 pm

Thank you for your post. But I can observe no valid argumentation against the points made either in my introduction of the thread, or my comments to your colleague.
The answers to your introduction have been given, and are appropriate. There have been scriptures to show that "revivalism" is biblical. Jehovah's Witnesses are the true organization that God is using today. They have gone back to the original Christian teachings of Christ and his Apostles. In other words, a "revival."

Ross
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Ross »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:09 am

The answers to your introduction have been given, and are appropriate. There have been scriptures to show that "revivalism" is biblical. Jehovah's Witnesses are the true organization that God is using today. They have gone back to the original Christian teachings of Christ and his Apostles. In other words, a "revival."
I guess if one is shallow or gullible enough to believe all of that, then they will join your religion.

But for most people they will need more than the odd scripture and a sentence or two from a book as an explanation of Bible text.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #15

Post by onewithhim »

Ross wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:53 pm

I guess if one is shallow or gullible enough to believe all of that, then they will join your religion.

But for most people they will need more than the odd scripture and a sentence or two from a book as an explanation of Bible text.
Indeed. JWs here have given you more than an odd Scripture and more than a sentence or two.

Ross
Scholar

Post #16

Post by Ross »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:10 pm
Ross wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:53 pm

Indeed. JWs here have given you more than an odd Scripture and more than a sentence or two.
If you need to have the final word and claim victory in the discussion, then so be it.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #17

Post by onewithhim »

Ross wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:36 am Thank you for your response onewithinhim.

Firstly, the Book of Daniel was written in the 6th century before Christianity, so the time period spoken about was from then, not from the apparent apostasy or dissolution of the true Christian churches.
A closer look at the Chapter of Daniel referred to reveals the following:
The time period spoken of is the time of the end, not in Daniel's time. (Daniel 12:4; 12:9)
When did the earth go through the greatest tribulation that the world has ever seen? When did the dead rise out of the dust? None of this has happened yet. So none of that occurred shortly after Daniel wrote his book. We're still waiting.

See post #5 to explain why there is a revival. And to observe ALL of JWs' teaching should be considered. Every religion has made mistakes about the coming of Christ. JWs tried to figure it out, and subsequently discerned that we are not to know the exact time, and stopped guessing. That does not negate their spot in time as the true revived Christian congregation. Jesus' own apostles were confused about what his coming back would entail and when. (Acts 1:6) Look at what JWs believe NOW and tell me that they don't follow the Bible.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #18

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Ross in post #1

There is Biblical support for restoration. Our God is a God of restoration. God’s message of restoration is timeless! It applies today just as it did two-thousand years ago.

YES! The Almighty has a church today! She speaks where the Bible speaks and is silent where the Bible is silent.

Restoration

Acts 3:19-21
19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, 20 and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, 21 whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

2 Timothy 4:1-4
1 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

1 Timothy 4:1-6
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. 6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24