Is patriarchy inherently wrong?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Is patriarchy inherently wrong?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

This topic is related to another topic that questions why God would make rules that subjugate women. I can accept that there are rules in the Bible that subjugate women. What I don't agree with are the views and that says that all rules involving men being over women (or taking a lead role) are wrong. I question these views because there are some patriarchal standards that are good or that don't cause harm and/or the suppression of women.

When I've had this conversation in the past, I tend to find a lot of assumptions of how patriarchy should be (as if there's only one way to lead - the dictator way?) or I find a lot of double-standards. So let's debate!

Is patriarchy inherently wrong (meaning any or all forms are wrong)?
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

mrrobot1994

Re: Is patriarchy inherently wrong?

Post #31

Post by mrrobot1994 »

This topic is related to another topic that questions why God would make rules that subjugate women. I can accept that there are rules in the Bible that subjugate women. What I don't agree with are the views and that says that all rules involving men being over women (or taking a lead role) are wrong. I question these views because there are some patriarchal standards that are good or that don't cause harm and/or the suppression of women.

When I've had this conversation in the past, I tend to find a lot of assumptions of how patriarchy should be (as if there's only one way to lead - the dictator way?) or I find a lot of double-standards. So let's debate!

Is patriarchy inherently wrong (meaning any or all forms are wrong)?
Patriarchy is a system in which male privilege is supported. We moved from a matriarchal society in which we believe there was equality between men and women to a dominant male culture. Men created our institutions, religions, and built a world based on male superiority. There was NO feminine influence in these creations. The female role was limited to marriage, family and home. Until recently for one small example women, women could not get their own credit established without husband or fathers signature. Women’s SIRnames are always male…fathers or husbands.

help3434
Guru

Re: Is patriarchy inherently wrong?

Post #32

Post by help3434 »

mms20102 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:06 am Now you will argue as long they are two the child won't feel the difference this child has a different opinion
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/six-da ... u1ue5.html
I know I am replying to a post over a year old, but just read this, and this poster apparently posted this link without bothering to read enough of the article torealizing it is satirical. It is making the opposite point the poster thought it made.