Prayer

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Prayer

Post #1

Post by POI »

For Debate: Is prayer just talking to yourself? If not, why not? Sure, prayer may make one feel satisfied/other, but there is likely no agency, on the other side, facilitating such desired response(s).

People pray to many differing god(s) and/or other. Statistically speaking, many god(s) and/or other aren't answering, as many of these god(s) and/or other likely do not even exist. Hence, at least in part, many are merely talking to themselves in prayer. If many of the desired result(s) can happen in prayer, without any agency actually responding, because such agency does not exist, then it's quite plausible this is the case for all prayer.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Prayer

Post #151

Post by POI »

Resurrecting this topic.... Any Christians out there want to take a stab at this one?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #152

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:56 pm Resurrecting this topic.... Any Christians out there want to take a stab at this one?

Only to jump through the same hoops as before. Biased claims of answered prayer for themselves or others (as "Hey, what do a few untruths matter if some souls are saved?" And I can point to some events in my prayerless atheist life that could be claimed as answered prayer - If I had been praying, which I wasn't.

No, specific demo is needed.I do the water (on my desk) into wine, but 'cold fusion' will do (or even a prediction of the Gabriel stone ten years ago would be knowledge beyond human) But nothing but coincidence and feelgood. I find it significant that not only is the water -bottle challenge never accepted, they immediately begin making excuses as to why they shouldn't even try. It's almost like they know darn well it isn't going to work.

And never mind the denial about a clear Biblical NT guarantee that any prayer made in faith will (even given hyperbole and so long as it doesn't harm anyone) be granted. It won't and they know it won't.

Savant

Post #153

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:56 pm Resurrecting this topic.... Any Christians out there want to take a stab at this one?
I think I have already answered. And this remains a matter of belief. But, it would be nice to know, have you prayed? And when you prayed, did you just talk to yourself?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #154

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:17 am
I think I have already answered. And this remains a matter of belief. But, it would be nice to know, have you prayed? And when you prayed, did you just talk to yourself?

As I recall, you answer was the usual denial, but we are eager to hear any apologetic you might have. As for prayer,when I was required to do it, it was just rote recital by Order, and meant nothing. As I say, I have had prayers answered when I wasn't ever praying. But I have a Voice going in my head all the time. Sometimes i even debate with it ("Who's that weirdo") but I know it's me, and deconverts have realised the Jesusgod they told themselves they were hearing was just themselves.

Final proo.f When Believers change their opinion about anything, the god in their head changes His opinion as well.

POI
Prodigy

Post #155

Post by POI »

And I'm sure I have already answered. And yes, I did pray for 30 years. And yes, praying is likely nothing more than talking to oneself.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #156

Post by The Nice Centurion »

POI wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:24 am
And I'm sure I have already answered. And yes, I did pray for 30 years. And yes, praying is likely nothing more than talking to oneself.
Praying is far more than talking to yourself.

1) It is propaganda for your sect.

2) It is self-indoctrination.

3) It is preservation of ones cognitive dissonance.

4) It raises to self-apologetics when one has to explain to himself why a prayer was not granted.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Savant

Post #157

Post by 1213 »

So, you just talked to yourself and expected something?

Savant

Post #158

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:38 am ...I have had prayers answered when I wasn't ever praying.
How do you know a prayer is answered, if you didn't even pray?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:38 amBut I have a Voice going in my head all the time. Sometimes i even debate with it ("Who's that weirdo") but I know it's me...
Is the voice saying stupid things?

POI
Prodigy

Post #159

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:20 am So, you just talked to yourself and expected something?
All prayer is speaking to oneself.

POI
Prodigy

Post #160

Post by POI »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:46 pm
Praying is far more than talking to yourself.

1) It is propaganda for your sect.

2) It is self-indoctrination.

3) It is preservation of ones cognitive dissonance.

4) It raises to self-apologetics when one has to explain to himself why a prayer was not granted.
Sure, but it involves the self, and no others.