Sound familiar?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

fewwillfindit
Guru

Sound familiar?

Post #1

Post by fewwillfindit »

Read the passages below and tell me the first thing that comes to mind. Could this be applied to how and where most of us spend many hours per week; right here?
2 Timothy 2:14-26 ESV wrote:Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some. But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity." Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
Proverbs 14:6-9, 12 ESV wrote:A scoffer seeks wisdom in vain, but knowledge is easy for a man of understanding. Leave the presence of a fool, for there you do not meet words of knowledge. The wisdom of the prudent is to discern his way, but the folly of fools is deceiving. Fools mock at the guilt offering, but the upright enjoy acceptance. There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.
Matthew 7:6 ESV wrote:"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.
1 Timothy 4:6-7 ESV wrote:If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;
1 Timothy 6:3-5 ESV wrote:If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.
How many times on this forum do we find ourselves getting involved with "foolish and ignorant controversies?" How about with people who continuously spout "irreverent babble" or "irreverent silly myths?" Or with people who have an "unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words?"

It all sounds quite familiar to me, especially in light of all of the asenine hypothetical postulations that have been tossed about of late. You know the threads; they pull a quote from a Christian (apparently because they have run out their own material) and start a thread with it, followed by a string of hypotheticals that have no bearing on reality. I don't think we should even give those type of threads the time of day. I say ignore them and let them banter amongst themselves. It serves no good purpose to be involved in such folly.

What say you?
Last edited by fewwillfindit on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Kuan »

Are you suggesting we dont participate on the site anymore! :shock:

Sometimes things are not worth replying to but a lot of the time there are great treasures and stuff in here. It reminds me of the parable Jesus taught, dont cast your pearls to the swine. (Or something like that.) Not all non theists are swine and id say that close to 60-70% of the topics on here are uplifting thought provoking talks. Of course this differs from person to person, but I will agree to ignore posts that I deem are "swine."

EDIT: I only read the first bible passage and your typing, then replied. Upon review you mentioned the pearls and pigs!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #3

Post by fewwillfindit »

mormon boy51 wrote:Are you suggesting we dont participate on the site anymore! :shock:
Not at all. I am suggesting that we steer clear of the frivolous flame-bait threads which entertain stupid hypothetical scenarios not based in reality.

mormon boy51 wrote:Sometimes things are not worth replying to but a lot of the time there are great treasures and stuff in here.
Agreed. If I didn't agree, I wouldn't still be here. ;)
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Hobbes
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Hobbes »

Indeed. And it's hard. Because subconsciously or otherwise, the threads and posts are typically built in such a way as to beg a response.

If you look at the words in some posts, they are quite similar to the way the devil spoke to Adam, Eve, and Christ. He never asked a simple question. Instead he would say something that begged to be corrected.
  • Gen 3
    1...He said to the woman, "Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree in the garden'?"
More crafty than appears on the surface. He didn't ask, "Did God tell you not to eat from that tree over there?" That would have gotten a simple yes answer. Instead, he suggested something that was incorrect, baiting Eve to engage him and correct him. See what I'm getting at?

Folks out there, whether they realize it or not, bait Christians by submitting half-truths or even flat out lies, so that it is almost impossible to resist a reply. And whoa, once you reply, the response is like the floodgates just opened... you get a dozen hypotheticals peppered with insults and mockery. And the next thing you know it, you're being accused of all kinds of hateful things and get several more half-truths and "accidental" misinterpretations thrown at you. And then another "non-Theist" jumps in. And another.

I'm trying to say that it's all by design.

I agree with fewwillfindit. Totally.
All you deviants out there... remember weinergate. It eventually comes back around. You will be outed.