Bible Reading:

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Bible Reading:

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

GENESIS 29

Ancient well Gen 29:10

Image >> Image

Leah
  • Reuben
    Simeon
    Judah
    Levi

Bilah

Zilph

What must it felt like to be Leah? How did God comfort her?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Cathar1950 wrote:
I guess all you are left with is just some quote uninterpreted to answer any of the above two questions.
Yes of course.
Cathar1950 wrote:The idea of one name meaning cow and the other ewe seems lost on you
No, that was one of you more interesting points.

Cathar1950 wrote:the differences in description
Yes, the two sisters were different.

Cathar1950 wrote: the differences in description although you were willing to interject some opinion about Leah's figure
Yes... Leah could well have been quite an attractive woman with a very nice figure, she could have been physically so repulsive small children ran from her in horror. Or anything in between... since sisters usually resemble each other to some degree, the latter is unlikely. My money is on her being more than just average looking.

She must have had dreams and desires (few of which involved being married to a man hopelessly in love with your prettier sibling. I think, Leah proved resilient and did the best with her situation. Neither Leah nor Rachel were exemplary in many ways, they let their jealousy of each other cause tension in the family but... and I think this is worth noting, the family didn't break apart, somehow they held it together and that is commendable.

Cathar1950 wrote: Appealing to the authority of the Bible in areas like this hardly seem productive
Since this is a bible reading forum it seems very productive to me.

Cathar1950 wrote: there is nothing in the Bible that says these stories are and must be "fact"
John 17:17. If you want to debate that, please go elsewhere, there are plenty of other forums to do it in.
Cathar1950 wrote: What is the story teller trying to say to the reader seems like a good start.
Indeed. I Very much like the account of Leah and Rachel. I like the family dynamics we see developing and how God used a less than idea situation to fulfill his purpose. Indeed Paul referred to the prophetic pattern the Patriachs set - the symetry of it is impressive.

I often have differences opinion with my brother, about Jacob. He doesn't think much of Jacob because he seemed like a man that never rushed into anything... his patience he argues, is excessive, but I think God knew exactly what he was doing with Jacob, a man who knew how to bide his time. Somebody that became the head of such a large nomadic family and would see so much suffering, couldn't be rash. And a man with 4 wives couldn't lose his cool easily if he wanted to keep his sanity.

That said, his memory for better or worse was ... long. You can almost see Laban rubbing his hands, profiting from Jacob and figuring he had out manoeuvered him, but Jacob noted it all (as he pointed out when they finally parted) nothing had escaped his eagle eye. God knew what he was doing when he looked at the personality of those twins and knew Jacob was 'his man'

Leah doesn't get much mention in scripture but what we do see of her I like. She puts me in mind of that scene in the colour purple, when Whoopie Goldberg shouts, "I may be black, poor and ugly... but I'm here" Leah was a survivor. On a personal level, she inspires me to not dwell on what life has denied me to the detriment of appreciating the doors it still holds open. Seven children and she lived to tell the tale - What a woman!

Anway, I'm reading the bible and way past the Patriachs now, being as I am at ...

DEUTERONOMY

S-word
Scholar

Post #12

Post by S-word »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
I guess all you are left with is just some quote uninterpreted to answer any of the above two questions.
Yes of course.
Cathar1950 wrote:The idea of one name meaning cow and the other ewe seems lost on you

Cathar1950 wrote: the differences in description although you were willing to interject some opinion about Leah's figure
Yes... Leah could well have been quite an attractive woman with a very nice figure, she could have been physically so repulsive small children ran from her in horror. Or anything in between... since sisters usually resemble each other to some degree, the latter is unlikely. My money is on her being more than just average looking.

She must have had dreams and desires (few of which involved being married to a man hopelessly in love with your prettier sibling. I think, Leah proved resilient and did the best with her situation. Neither Leah nor Rachel were exemplary in many ways, they let their jealousy of each other cause tension in the family but... and I think this is worth noting, the family didn't break apart, somehow they held it together and that is commendable.

Cathar1950 wrote: Appealing to the authority of the Bible in areas like this hardly seem productive

Cathar1950 wrote: there is nothing in the Bible that says these stories are and must be "fact"
John 17:17. If you want to debate that, please go elsewhere, there are plenty of other forums to do it in.
Cathar1950 wrote: What is the story teller trying to say to the reader seems like a good start.
Indeed. I Very much like the account of Leah and Rachel. I like the family dynamics we see developing and how God used a less than idea situation to fulfill his purpose. Indeed Paul referred to the prophetic pattern the Patriachs set - the symetry of it is impressive.

I often have differences opinion with my brother, about Jacob. He doesn't think much of Jacob because he seemed like a man that never rushed into anything... his patience he argues, is excessive, but I think God knew exactly what he was doing with Jacob, a man who knew how to bide his time. Somebody that became the head of such a large nomadic family and would see so much suffering, couldn't be rash. And a man with 4 wives couldn't lose his cool easily if he wanted to keep his sanity.

That said, his memory for better or worse was ... long. You can almost see Laban rubbing his hands, profiting from Jacob and figuring he had out manoeuvered him, but Jacob noted it all (as he pointed out when they finally parted) nothing had escaped his eagle eye. God knew what he was doing when he looked at the personality of those twins and knew Jacob was 'his man'

Leah doesn't get much mention in scripture but what we do see of her I like. She puts me in mind of that scene in the colour purple, when Whoopie Goldberg shouts, "I may be black, poor and ugly... but I'm here" Leah was a survivor. On a personal level, she inspires me to not dwell on what life has denied me to the detriment of appreciating the doors it still holds open. Seven children and she lived to tell the tale - What a woman!

Anway, I'm reading the bible and way past the Patriachs now, being as I am at ...

DEUTERONOMY
[JehovahsWitness wrote].........God knew what he was doing when he looked at the personality of those twins and knew Jacob was 'his man.'

[S-word's response]......Nah mate, it had nothing to do with the personalities that would later develop within the bodies of Isaac's sons. God knew what he was doing, when in the womb of Rebecca he made a division of the evolving spirit in man, and while in the womb,
the genetic combination through which his son, (The Son of Man) would evolve, was the division that he chose, which division would later be named 'Jacob, and he rejected the animal division of Esau, who was so hairy, that Rebecca deceived Isaac into believing that the smooth skined Jacob was Esau, by covering his arms with coats skin, and the feel and animal smell of those skins, convinced Isaac that Jacob was in fact his first born, Esau.

Romans 9: 13; The elder will serve the younger, he said this before they were born.... As the scripture says, "I loved Jacob, but I hated Esau."

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Cathar1950 »

S-word wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Yes of course.

DEUTERONOMY
[JehovahsWitness wrote].........God knew what he was doing when he looked at the personality of those twins and knew Jacob was 'his man.'

[S-word's response]......Nah mate, it had nothing to do with the personalities that would later develop within the bodies of Isaac's sons. God knew what he was doing, when in the womb of Rebecca he made a division of the evolving spirit in man, and while in the womb,
the genetic combination through which his son, (The Son of Man) would evolve, was the division that he chose, which division would later be named 'Jacob, and he rejected the animal division of Esau, who was so hairy, that Rebecca deceived Isaac into believing that the smooth skined Jacob was Esau, by covering his arms with coats skin, and the feel and animal smell of those skins, convinced Isaac that Jacob was in fact his first born, Esau.

Romans 9: 13; The elder will serve the younger, he said this before they were born.... As the scripture says, "I loved Jacob, but I hated Esau."
And Jacob says to Esau:
Genesis 33:10
English Standard Version (©2001)
Jacob said, “No, please, if I have found favor in your sight, then accept my present from my hand. For I have seen your face, which is like seeing the face of God, and you have accepted me.

S-word
Scholar

Post #14

Post by S-word »

[cathar1950 wrote].........And Jacob says to Esau:
Genesis 33:10
English Standard Version (©2001)
Jacob said, “No, please, if I have found favor in your sight, then accept my present from my hand. For I have seen your face, which is like seeing the face of God, and you have accepted me.
[/quote]

[S-word's Response].....Genesis 27: 41; Esau hated Jacob, becaue his father had had given Jacob the blessing. He thought,"The time to mourn my father's death is near; then I will kill Jacob."

Jacob was terrified by his brother Esau, and in 33: 10; was merely sucking up to him, and Jacob there, deceived his brother again. After telling Esau that he had to travel slowly because the children were weak and his flocks would die if pushed to hard, and refusing Esau's offer to leave some of his men with Jacob, he told his brother that he would follow, but instead of following his brother to Edom, Jacob went to Sukkoth.

According to ancient Jewish traditions, after the death of Isaac, Esau and his sons attacked Jacob's tribe, and Esau was fatally wounded by an arrow that was fired from the bow of Jacob.