The ninth commandment

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The ninth commandment

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Is it OK nowadays to lie and bear false witness against people because one FEELS good about it?

The reason I post this for debate is that I recall a certain entertainter accusing one of our former presidents of racism without any substantial evidence.

I mentioned this on another site and someone defended this entertainer because it was his "opinion" and represented the "way he felt" about the matter. Neither did this defender provide any evidence to support this entertainter's charge of racism.

Also, I note a certain speaker of the one of the houses of Congress who on more than one occasion has lied about one of his party's political opponents AND some civilians. He seems to think he can say whatever he wants as long as it serves to achieve his desired end, because speaking from the floor grants him immunity from false charges directed at another.

It has since been demonstrated that his charges were false in the first, and in the second instance.

So the question for debate is this.

In light of these examples, do folks now consider it OK to bear false witness against another as long as they feel like doing so? The irony of this is that these are both avowedly religous folks who should know better.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

bluethread wrote: [Replying to post 8 by bluethread]

So it appears that al we can do is work ourselves up into an irrational emotional state. At least you are not lying to yourself. (pun intended)

Not every human will work themselves into a completely irrational state with emotions running wild. I was meaning for humans in our entirety.

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote:

So it appears that al we can do is work ourselves up into an irrational emotional state. At least you are not lying to yourself. (pun intended)

Not every human will work themselves into a completely irrational state with emotions running wild. I was meaning for humans in our entirety.
So, as a society, we are to believe in something without any rational justification? This is not an uncommon philosophical position among atheists. It just runs counter to scientific humanism. Mind you, I am just trying to determine your basis for making decisions on how one should live. As not all theists argue for and live according to some derivation of RCC doctrine, not all atheist are scientific humanists.

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

bluethread wrote:
Princess Luna On The Moon wrote:

So, as a society, we are to believe in something without any rational justification? This is not an uncommon philosophical position among atheists. It just runs counter to scientific humanism. Mind you, I am just trying to determine your basis for making decisions on how one should live. As not all theists argue for and live according to some derivation of RCC doctrine, not all atheist are scientific humanists.