Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

Reply to topic
RedEye
First Post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:31 am  Another Proof That God Does Not Exist Reply with quote

Definitions:
God - the creator of the universe.

Syllogisms:
P1: Something can only be created if time exists.
P2: Time is a fundamental part of the universe.
C1: The universe cannot have been created.

P3: It is not possible for the universe to have a creator (from C1).
P4: God is only necessary as an explanation for the origin of the universe.
C2: God, as defined, does not exist.

Support for Premises:
P1 - For something to have been created there must be a moment in time where it did not exist and then a moment in time in which it did. Creation is a temporal (time-related) concept. The word "created" is incoherent without time.
P2 - We know from the work of Albert Einstein and the physics of the 20th and 21st centuries that we live in a universe whose fabric consists of space-time. The only time we know is part of our universe and again, it is incoherent to talk about the passage of time without the universe already existing.
P3 - Follows from conclusion C1.
P4 - Follows from the definition of God.

Can anyone fault this logical proof? Which premises (if any) are wrong?

Note: To refute this proof you must show that either it is not valid (the conclusions do not follow from the premises) or that it is not sound (there is a problem with one or more premises). For the latter, please nominate a premise and then carefully explain why we cannot accept it. Only by invalidating a premise can you invalidate the argument as a whole. (Unless you can show that one of the syllogisms has a conclusion which does not follow from its premises).
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 291: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:02 am
Re: Another Proof That God Does Not Exist

Like this post
Clownboat wrote:

How easily you forget your own words, even when provided in bold to you.

Copy/paste: "And if this lies outside your experience, then truly, you do not know God, and will not recognize Him, come the end of days."

And why should pointing out this truth be a scare tactic? Any more than pointing out that if God is good, then He is also just, and, come the end of days, justice will be done? Are you scared then, of justice, or of not recognising God? I don't see why you should be, if you don't believe, anyway.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 292: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Like this post
2ndRateMind wrote:

Clownboat wrote:

Copy/paste: "And if this lies outside your experience, then truly, you do not know God, and will not recognize Him, come the end of days."

And why should pointing out this truth be a scare tactic? Any more than pointing out that if God is good, then He is also just, and, come the end of days, justice will be done? Are you scared then, of justice, or of not recognising God? I don't see why you should be, if you don't believe, anyway.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Where is the justice in punishing for literal ignorance?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 293: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Like this post
rikuoamero wrote:

2ndRateMind wrote:

Clownboat wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.

Where is the justice in punishing for literal ignorance?

It is a well established principle of justice that 'Ignorantia juris non excusat'* If it was, we could all claim to be ignorant that our offenses were against the law, and no one would ever be guilty of anything. But the law is, and justice is, and we should consider it a civil duty to make ourselves aware of them.

Best wishes, 2RM.

*Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 294: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Like this post
[quote="2ndRateMind"]
Clownboat wrote:

Quote:
And why should pointing out this truth be a scare tactic?

Please show that you speak the truth or do the honorable thing and retract your claim or at least call it what it is, just your opinion.

Pretentious arrogence is not debate. Showing/suggesting that your words are true is debate.

Please get off your soap box. Preaching is against the rules.

Now, if you feel that you are some authority on the gods here on this planet, I would love to know why you feel this way and why I should consider you to be an authority.

Quote:
Any more than pointing out that if God is good, then He is also just, and, come the end of days, justice will be done?

Not so fast there guy.
First things first. Show there is a god and that he is good, then we can discuss justice and this end of days threat you seem to enjoy leveling at your fellow humans.

Quote:
Are you scared then, of justice, or of not recognising God?

No more than I am scared of Santa Clause.
How much do you fear Santa or the Easter Bunny. What a silly question!

Quote:
I don't see why you should be, if you don't believe, anyway.

And yet you asked the question anyways.
d'oh!

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 295: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:50 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 293 by 2ndRateMind]

Quote:
It is a well established principle of justice that 'Ignorantia juris non excusat'* If it was, we could all claim to be ignorant that our offenses were against the law, and no one would ever be guilty of anything. But the law is, and justice is, and we should consider it a civil duty to make ourselves aware of them.

This isn't the same thing as claiming to be unaware that it's illegal to rape (yes, have heard about that) or murder. I literally possess no knowledge as to any actual gods. I have knowledge as to what other people have claimed are gods, but actual gods? Nope. I have no knowledge as to any actual such creatures.
In the real world, it is a more or less trivial matter to rid oneself of any ignorance as to laws. If I want to know what the speed limit is, the government puts helpful signs up on the road. The government makes itself known, makes sure that the citizenry knows that it exists, that it pronounces laws and will punish those who violate them.
Your god? Any god? No god has made itself known to me. So I ask you again - where is the justice in punishing literal ignorance? Let's say today I choke on my dinner and die. I then find myself in some mystical ethereal place.
Where would the justice be if it turns out there is in fact a god who then says I am to be punished? For simply being unaware of his existence? I have searched for god(s) for a significant chunk of my life. God(s) if they exist would have the power and knowledge to make themselves known to me quite easily, and yet it hasn't happened. So why do I deserve to be punished? Where is the justice?

Unless...it's not about justice at all. Have you thought that maybe, just maybe, all this talk from religion about punishing those who are not adherents of gods actually IS a threat, a scare tactic, to keep bums in seats, to try to prevent people from leaving? To prevent people from pulling back the curtain and finding out the truth about Oz, the Great and Powerful?

So please, run through my scenario. I'd really like to know where you think the justice is in that. Would it be just to punish people for not knowing about quantum mechanics, or trigonometry? Or cell division?

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter