Which Bible translation is the best?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

What is the best English translation of the Bible?

(Holman) Christian Standard Bible
No votes
English Standard Version
9%
King James Version
18%
New American Standard Bible
9%
New International Version
9%
New King James Version
No votes
New Living Translation
No votes
New Revised Standard Version
18%
Other
36%

Total votes: 11

historia
Prodigy

Which Bible translation is the best?

Post #1

Post by historia »

Which English translation of the Bible do you like the best?

Why do you like it better than other translations?

And which one do you like second best?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Which Bible translation is the best?

Post #11

Post by onewithhim »

bjs wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [*] It is most faithful to the original text
[*] It contains The Divine Name in both the Hebrew and the Greek scriptures
I just want to point out that these statements cannot both be true. The original Greek text does not contain the Divine name. So a translation can be faithful to the original text of the NT, or it can include the Divine name. It cannot do both.
But it has been ascertained that the Greek text did indeed contain the Tetragrammaton, but was removed sometime in the 2nd or 3rd centuries A.D.

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

I don't particularly think any English translation is the best. But, if I were to pick one, it'd be the KJV. Specifically, I like the Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible. After reading that, I thought it'd be more convenient if the key words were transliterated. So, I've started on creating such a translation - the Transliteral Bible.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
bjs wrote:
I just want to point out that these statements cannot both be true. The original Greek text does not contain the Divine name. So a translation can be faithful to the original text of the NT, or it can include the Divine name. It cannot do both.
But it has been ascertained that the Greek text did indeed contain the Tetragrammaton, but was removed sometime in the 2nd or 3rd centuries A.D.
On what evidence are you and other posters basing conflicting assertions?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: On what evidence are you and other posters basing conflicting assertions?

I presented the evidence that the Divine Name did in fact appear in the original "new testament" writings already. Here are the LINKS to what I wrote.

NEW TESTAMENT
LEARN MORE : Video Lectures:

Geoffrey W. Jackson: “Father, Glorify Your Name� (The Divine Name in the Christian Scriptures)
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/Studio ... 10_2_VIDEO

Report: An Ancient Manuscript Supports God’s Name ( documented evidence)
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODBib ... 64_1_VIDEO

What Are J-References? (Divine Name in Christian bible in various translations)
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODBib ... 64_1_VIDEO
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Goose
Guru

Post #15

Post by Goose »

historia wrote: Which English translation of the Bible do you like the best?
That depends. For study, I prefer the NASB. For devotional reading I use the NIV.
No particular reason for the NASB. It's a fairly literal translation. There are several good literal translations. I like the NIV for devotional reading because of it's dynamic equivalence. I just makes it easier to read and apply to daily living.
The King James. If it was good enough for the apostle Paul, it is good enough for me :D

I know you are asking about English translations but nothing is better than learning the original language. Something is always either lost or added in any translation.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #16

Post by brianbbs67 »

I voted other because I like certain ones in certain places. The ones I use are KJ, NKJV , ESV, NASB, and for the Ot, JPS and Stone's and KJ.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #17

Post by brianbbs67 »

onewithhim
Savant

Post #18

Post by onewithhim »

Goose wrote:
That depends. For study, I prefer the NASB. For devotional reading I use the NIV.
No particular reason for the NASB. It's a fairly literal translation. There are several good literal translations. I like the NIV for devotional reading because of it's dynamic equivalence. I just makes it easier to read and apply to daily living.
The King James. If it was good enough for the apostle Paul, it is good enough for me :D

I know you are asking about English translations but nothing is better than learning the original language. Something is always either lost or added in any translation.
That was very funny---"If it was good enough for the apostle Paul..." LOL!

I know you know that the KJV was produced in the year 1611. Paul didn't have it.

:D

jgh7

Post #19

Post by jgh7 »

I like the NKJV. The NKJV (and KJV) use different source manuscripts from nearly all the other bibles like NIV, ESV, etc. There is heated debate over this and I'm not here to argue the NKJV source manuscripts are superior. But what the NKJV does is give you a footnote wherever its source manuscripts differ from the manuscripts used for NIV, ESV, etc. So basically you can see how the texts read from both manuscripts if you like. It has been educational for me.

In terms of writing style, I also like the NKJV as it strikes the perfect balance for me between ease of readability and that ancient biblical poetic way of speaking. Very enjoyable read!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #20

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote:

I agree with one scholar's assessment: "The New World Translation and the New American Bible are not bias free,and they are not perfect translations. But they are REMARKABLY GOOD translations, by far than the deeply flawed TEV, and certainly better as a translation than the LB and AB...and consistently better than the heavily biased NIV, and often better than the compromised NRSV." (Truth in Translation, p.165, Dr. Jason BeDuhn)

So it's the New World Translation first of all, and second-best is the New American Bible.

I like the NWT best first of all because it presents the name of God, Jehovah, in each of the 7,000 places that it appears in the original Hebrew language manuscripts. It also sticks very close---as close as can be---to the actual Greek and Hebrew/Aramaic, thus giving the real meaning to scriptures that other translations skim over and get messed up because the translators ALREADY BELIEVE that, for example, Jesus is God.
To the other posters: Does it not matter at all that the name of the Author of the Bible was removed from all of the translations that you mentioned (except in 4 places in the KJV)?

:?: