Just a useless question for the conservitive catholics

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Just a useless question for the conservitive catholics

Post #1

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

I've been reading the posts as its been a while since I've been on and I have noticed a large influx of conservative Catholics. I have found it quite interesting that it seems as though their posts are far longer than the standard user. I was wondering if there was a reason why that seems to be the case.

Cedar Tree
Student

Post #11

Post by Cedar Tree »

goat wrote:
Cedar Tree wrote:
goat wrote:
Cedar Tree wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
scottlittlefield17 wrote:What about Joshua?
As I recall his posts were longer because he was copying and pasting them from a Catholic apologetics website, right up until someone found the site, found it full of antisemitic material, and shortly after, he left.
I was quite surprised you said a Catholic apologetics website was found "full of antisemitic material." The Catholic Church is NOT anti-Semitic. What was the site?
While the Catholic Church has become a lot more flexible and a lot less anti-semetic since WW2, that specific web site is run by some reactionary Roman Catholics.

I hardly think they represent the RCC.
You say the Catholic Church has become "a lot less anti-semetic." I would say it is NOT AT ALL anti-semitic, nor has it ever been. While I'm sure that there have been "reactionary Roman Catholics," it’s important to note that the Church doesn’t endorse everything its members do.
Now, that is simply not true. Have you ever heard of the Spanish inquisition?? There have been a huge number of very anti-Semitic popes too.

How about

Synod of Narbonne (1050)_prohibited Christians from living in Jewish homes.
Synod of Gerona (1078)_required Jews to pay taxes to support the Church.
Third Lateran Council (1179)_prohibited certain medical care to be provided by Christians to Jews.
Fourth Lateran Council (1215)_required Jews to wear special clothing to distinguish them from Christians.
Council of Basel (1431-1443)_forbade Jews to attend universities, them from acting as agents in the conclusion of contracts between Christians, and required that they attend church sermons.

It wasn't until 1964 that there was significant acknowledgment by the RCC of past Anti-Semitic attitudes.. but the place where the attitudes finally started changing was right after WW2, when the shock of the holocaust..

Those attitudes started changing only after Pope Pius XII was no longer Pope.
To be clear, I should have said Catholic TEACHING has never been anti-semitic. But a "huge" number of popes anti-semitic? I think not! Certainly, I am under no doubt that certain members of the Catholic Church were anti-semitic. The Catholic Church is made up of sinners and saints. Certainly, our popes, bishops, priests, deacons and laymen are not without sin. We all need the saving grace of Christ.

That being said, the Spanish Inquisition was mostly run by the state, not by the Church. I have not personally heard of the synods of Sarbonne or Gerona.
It looks like you cut and pasted the majority of your complaint from http://remember.org/History.root.classical.html. Pope Pius XII was NOT anti-semitic, despite many anti-Catholic attempts to paint him thus. He did a lot to help the Jews QUIETLY because his public speaking/actions only worsened things (in retaliation) for Christians and Jews alike. There are books written by Jews about how Pope Pius XII helped Jews. I haven't read them yet, but here are a few:

Bottum, Joseph, and Rabbi David G. Dalin, eds. The Pius War: Responses to the Critics of Pius XII. Lanham, Md.: Lexington Books, 2004.

Dalin, Rabbi David G. The Myth of Hitler’s Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the Nazis. Washington, D.C.: Regnery, 2005.

Rychlak, Ronald J., and Michael Novak. Righteous Gentiles: How Pius XII and the Catholic Church Saved Half a Million Jews from the Nazis. Dallas: Spence, 2005.