What Are The Requirements To Be A Christian?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

In my book, I would say that a person is a christian if they accept Jesus Christ as the personal lord and savior.

I was debating the admin of CARM the other month, and he's very anti-catholic. So he told me the Church is heretical because of its teachings and practices, he went as far to suggest that they aren't Christian.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Kuan »

How about anyone who wants to be christian is christian.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

WinePusher

Post #12

Post by WinePusher »

mormon boy51 wrote:How about anyone who wants to be christian is christian.
I don't think this works, obviously there are minimal requirements that a person must meet in order to call themselves a Christian. For example, I don't think a person can consider themselves a Christian and reject a belief in God.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Kuan »

WinePusher wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:How about anyone who wants to be christian is christian.
I don't think this works, obviously there are minimal requirements that a person must meet in order to call themselves a Christian. For example, I don't think a person can consider themselves a Christian and reject a belief in God.
Thats the point. If they dont believe in god why would they care to be christian? I mean who cares whos what? Were allowed to believe what we want. Im mormon and I used to care what others thought about me and my religion, I dont anymore, it only matters what I think. Thats my point if it makes any sense.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Darias
Guru

Post #14

Post by Darias »

Well, "Christian" is such a relative term these days.

I suppose that a non-theist who grew up in a Christian home might still consider themselves "Christian" in the sense that he or she is an admirer of Jesus - and in the sense that he or she might still attend church with relatives out of obligation to family tradition.

But that's stretching it just a bit.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, we have Pastor Fred Phelps. He believes that everyone but his church "his remnant" is going to hell. He and his church are astoundingly anti-gay, anti-Semitic, etc. They're the folks that protest at funerals.

But because they all believe in Jesus as their savior, they are, by technicality, "Christian" as well, despite the fact that they don't appear to follow Christ's teachings whatsoever.

I trust in Christ as my savior as well, that makes me a Christian -- but my actions must follow from that -- I must be Christ-like as well. Love others, etc.

Obviously variations in Catholic, Protestant, and Mormon doctrines do not make one "Christian."

Catholics, Protestants, and Mormons did not exist during or after Christ's life. There were only "followers and believers of Christ."

But soon enough, sects started popping up -- Gnostics and the like...

Paul didn't consider them Christians either.

But even in the mainstream Christian community mentioned in the bible, there were divisions. Circumcision was a major issue that for some determined one's true Christianity.

Peter and Paul disagreed with each other over that...

---

I think when we get caught up in the issue of "true Christian" we miss Christ's message altogether.
Romans 14:5-13,22 wrote: One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

For it is written,
“AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD.�

So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. . . . The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

I personally think that my Christianity is based upon my acceptance of Christ as the savior of my sins -- and as my mediator between myself and God.

I have my own take on Biblical literacy and the lot, but I depend on Christ for my salvation.

I also look to His life as the example for what my life should look like -- as in loving others, etc.

Those two things in tandem with one another are what I consider to be the requirements for my Christianity.

Hail Marys and prophets and Popes and the Church and the mega pastors and what they have to say doesn't resonate with me. They are traditions for other people and it's all well and good. I don't want to judge anyone's Christianity by what they believe or by what tradition they are from -- however, the actions of Christians speak much of what they truly believe.

If you protest at funerals out of hate, you're pretty much stomping on the message of love of the savior you claim to believe in.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Kuan »

Rhonan wrote:Well, "Christian" is such a relative term these days.

I suppose that a non-theist who grew up in a Christian home might still consider themselves "Christian" in the sense that he or she is an admirer of Jesus - and in the sense that he or she might still attend church with relatives out of obligation to family tradition.

But that's stretching it just a bit.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, we have Pastor Fred Phelps. He believes that everyone but his church "his remnant" is going to hell. He and his church are astoundingly anti-gay, anti-Semitic, etc. They're the folks that protest at funerals.

But because they all believe in Jesus as their savior, they are, by technicality, "Christian" as well, despite the fact that they don't appear to follow Christ's teachings whatsoever.

I trust in Christ as my savior as well, that makes me a Christian -- but my actions must follow from that -- I must be Christ-like as well. Love others, etc.

Obviously variations in Catholic, Protestant, and Mormon doctrines do not make one "Christian."

Catholics, Protestants, and Mormons did not exist during or after Christ's life. There were only "followers and believers of Christ."

But soon enough, sects started popping up -- Gnostics and the like...

Paul didn't consider them Christians either.

But even in the mainstream Christian community mentioned in the bible, there were divisions. Circumcision was a major issue that for some determined one's true Christianity.

Peter and Paul disagreed with each other over that...

---

I think when we get caught up in the issue of "true Christian" we miss Christ's message altogether.
Romans 14:5-13,22 wrote: One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

For it is written,
“AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD.�

So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. . . . The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

I personally think that my Christianity is based upon my acceptance of Christ as the savior of my sins -- and as my mediator between myself and God.

I have my own take on Biblical literacy and the lot, but I depend on Christ for my salvation.

I also look to His life as the example for what my life should look like -- as in loving others, etc.

Those two things in tandem with one another are what I consider to be the requirements for my Christianity.

Hail Marys and prophets and Popes and the Church and the mega pastors and what they have to say doesn't resonate with me. They are traditions for other people and it's all well and good. I don't want to judge anyone's Christianity by what they believe or by what tradition they are from -- however, the actions of Christians speak much of what they truly believe.

If you protest at funerals out of hate, you're pretty much stomping on the message of love of the savior you claim to believe in.
So you wouldn't define me as a christian?
- Voltaire

Darias
Guru

Post #16

Post by Darias »

mormon boy51 wrote: So you wouldn't define me as a christian?
I already said that doctrines of Christian sects shouldn't define one's Christianity.

If you trust in Christ as your savior, and you consider yourself Christian - then you are Christian.

If you are Christ-like, or at least try to follow Jesus' principles of love - then that is further evidence of your Christianity.

If you protest at funerals, then you aren't behaving in a Christ-like manner... and even though the people(Westboro folks) who actually do that consider themselves as true Christians - I would beg to differ. They are something religious, some kind of fundamentalists - they believe in Jesus but they hate others to the core -- so they are a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me.

They'd be like folks who believe in the message of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - claim to be his followers - and yet burn crosses at the same time...

lol.

Mormanism is different enough to be differentiated from Protestantism, Catholicism, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Masons...

But it's kinda difficult to say that it's not a member of the larger Christian religion. I mean, Mormons believe in Jesus and everything so, why not?

Now, if you are asking me if I believe you are "saved" or if you are made-right with God or if you have a relationship with God -- I can't answer that.

That is between you and God.

God is the ultimate judge of everyone and I believe He is loving and just.

I am not going to say "yep, looks like you've completed all of the requirements -- you are on your way to heaven."

Because I have no idea what lies beyond --- I trust in Christ for my ultimate heavenly fellowship with God in the hereafter, but that is not an automatic guarantee that I'll get there.

You know where the Bible talks of Christians who say "Lord, Lord" and the Lord says I don't know you.

If hell is just a conscious state of nothingness, or if it is simply death -- or if it is flames forever - temporary or not - I don't wanna go there.

But God is the only one who can look at my life and judge me fairly and see where I should go. And if God were just, I know of a few Atheists who'd have a guaranteed place in heaven.

As for me, I hope and trust, but I don't know.

Maybe, its just my inferiority complex kicking in...

But if Christ is the example we are all to live by, then I fall way short -- I mean He was out there helpin the poor everyday...

And I know that we are not saved through our own good deeds -- but I also know that our salvation means nothing if we are hateful and simply live for ourselves and never help or love others.

Anyways. I don't know if that answered your question but I don't like simple short answers.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Kuan »

That was a great answer, I agree with you and everything that you said in there. Thanks for the time to answer my question and clarify your stance to me.
- Voltaire

Joshua Patrick
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by Joshua Patrick »

To be Christian, you need to believe in the Apostle's Creed.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Kuan »

Joshua Patrick wrote:To be Christian, you need to believe in the Apostle's Creed.
Well, which creed? If you look it up Lutherans, Catholics, Church of England, Episcopal's, and Methodists all have a different translation of the Apostle's Creed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles'_Creed
- Voltaire

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Joshua Patrick wrote:To be Christian, you need to believe in the Apostle's Creed.
Yes, but not literally.

There is no requirement to believe ancient magical claims at face value in 2010, if there ever was. The creed makes no (magical) knowledge claims to which we are to give questionable notional assent. That's a misreading of the creed. Rather it presents a worldview, an ancient meta-narrative, that we must AFFIRM (vs. claim to be literal facts or "believe" in) if we are to be Christian. I can affirm the creed line by line, but of course I would never say I assent to it notionally as a literal statement of fact. That would be untenable IMO.

For example:

I believe (yes I affirm)
in one god (yes, divinity would be unitive; every major religion claims that at the end of the day)
maker (whatever that means, but the whole creation-is-divine idea is cool, and divinity is creative first and foremost, so yes, OK. And props for putting creativity and generativeness first.)
of heaven and earth (well, heaven is a magical claim or a metaphor, and earth is a small bit of what is, so this must refer to all things, with sky and ground used metaphorically. So OK)
and of all things (yup)
seen and unseen (YES! strikes blow for non-emprical modes of discernment)
etc etc etc

One priest I know said "We affirm this creedal narrative as part of our tradition."
Another said "We grapple with it, forever revisiting and reappropriating the text."
Another said "We say it with our fingers crossed. We don't actually mean it."
Another said, "The councils did a remarkable job with greek concepts, yet also held onto mystery and paradox. The creed is a triumph of thought meeting discernment."

So we agree that a Christian has to "believe" the creed. But as you see this can mean many things. We needn't affirm a literalist reading; that's simply a choice, NOT a requirement (the creed is foundational and required, but not any one hermeneutical reading). Unless of course you propose invalidating and excommunicating these ordained clergymen, as well as a few centuries worth of doctrinal evolution and hermeneutics that they draw from.