Are you responsible for your physical vehicle's limitations?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Bro Dave
Sage

Are you responsible for your physical vehicle's limitations?

Post #1

Post by Bro Dave »

We are each limited and gifted. We did not create, request or define who we are and the physical and personality traits we have to work with. Is it therefore reasonable we all be held accountable for our accomplishments we may achieve or attocities we may commit?

Bro Dave

Corvus
Guru

Post #11

Post by Corvus »

Bro Dave wrote:
Well no, its genetics. You can have superior genetic, or inferior, thats why genetical breeding should be conducted, so we can get out the best instead of letting anyone spread inferior genes around.

Christians must be on my side about this, because some people are closer to God (the Jews are the chosen people for example), which makes that they should agree on whom and what is to breed. Especially when they are against homosexuality and such. But i never spoken to a Christian about it, they rarely want to face the hard questions.

But my view is pretty debated, and most people dont agree.
Eugenics is a touchy subject, especially in light of Hitler, but yet you have to be stupid not to see what is so crucial to breeding thouroughbreds and show animals, can hardly be dismissed for humans.
For me, one must first seperate the driver from his/her vehicle. If you got a "Mercadez", good for you. But what if you ended up with a Yugo?

The UB takes a lot of hateful hits because they say we will need to address exactly the problems you mentioned. However, they emphisize that we are not to get too proactive! This is a field where some immediate prevention in perpetuating inferior vehicles is critical. Yes, we will have to continue "maintanance" on those already "off the production line", but we DO need to close the "factories"!
Here is a quote from the Urantia Book:

After all, the real jeopardy of the human species is to be found in the unrestrained multiplication of the inferior and degenerate strains of the various civilized peoples rather than in any supposed danger of their racial interbreeding.
[Presented by the Chief of Seraphim stationed on Urantia.]

So you are not alone in your assesment, only a little ahead of your time...
I have to wonder how inferiority is defined, since I can only see this as a subjective judgement except in the case of clearly sociopathic individuals. And then, are sociopaths born or are they made?

I am think that a nation of imbeciles can be quite happy and productive as far as societies go; possibly even more happy and productive than a nation of geniuses.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #12

Post by LillSnopp »

Eugenics is a touchy subject, especially in light of Hitler, but yet you have to be stupid not to see what is so crucial to breeding thouroughbreds and show animals, can hardly be dismissed for humans.
For me, one must first seperate the driver from his/her vehicle. If you got a "Mercadez", good for you. But what if you ended up with a Yugo?
Perhaps then you understand my careful approach about the subject. Reality is rarely popular.

People immediately refer to Übermensch unt Nietzsche, and stamp you as a Nazi (that kind of ignorance is really terrible :? )
I have to wonder how inferiority is defined, since I can only see this as a subjective judgement except in the case of clearly sociopathic individuals. And then, are sociopaths born or are they made?
In this case its both about physique (improve the body, and be able to prevent disease´s such as Polio, DM, cancer and so forth) and mental ability (improve brain capacity, and prevent people with mental disease´s such as cp, depression, (and personally i would include wrong-thinkers such as religious people and ignorants, but thats personal).. So it has its obvious positive sides, I really see nothing bad about it.
I am think that a nation of imbeciles can be quite happy and productive as far as societies go; possibly even more happy and productive than a nation of geniuses,
Perhaps so, but the nation of imbeciles would destroy the world because of ignorance, and the future of mankind (such as the US for example), whiles a nation with ´geniuses´ would be less likely, and have the ability, to prevent this.

DanMRaymond
Student

Post #13

Post by DanMRaymond »

Some people are born stronger than others mentally and physically. Some people are born with better coordination than others. Some people have the capacity to be more talented and skilled than others. Thats just the way it is. You can't be responsible for being born a certain way.

Bro Dave
Sage

Post #14

Post by Bro Dave »

DanMRaymond wrote:Some people are born stronger than others mentally and physically. Some people are born with better coordination than others. Some people have the capacity to be more talented and skilled than others. Thats just the way it is. You can't be responsible for being born a certain way.
Have you noticed the dirth of responses from those who believe in God? This is a taboo question, and cannot be responded to by most non-atheists. Atheists have no problem with the question, since they have no one to blame.
That does not mean, however that there is no response for those who do believe in a Creator. I will share my views, though they are mine alone, so they carry no particular weight, except possibly making sense.

This universe was created as stage upon which imperfect beings could get experiences. These experiences are unique to each being. Couple that with the free will to make choices based on constantly changing experience, and a rich experiential fabric is woven. The Creator participates in all this, and shares in the growth of each individual. The individuals grow from the experiences, and become wise, and ultimately, become perfect.(within the limits of their design capability)

So, for me, no, we are not responsible for which vehicle we get to drive, but we are responsible for how we drive it.

Bro Dave

DanMRaymond
Student

Post #15

Post by DanMRaymond »

Minus all that stuff about the Creator I completely agree with you. \:D/

Curious
Sage

Post #16

Post by Curious »

While some people are undoubtedly more able than others, where is the benefit of having everything come easily. More often than not the most naturally gifted individuals lack motivation as they tend to rest on their laurels. In all endeavours it is the one who works hardest and shows most improvement who attains the highest prize.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by ST88 »

Curious wrote:While some people are undoubtedly more able than others, where is the benefit of having everything come easily. More often than not the most naturally gifted individuals lack motivation as they tend to rest on their laurels. In all endeavours it is the one who works hardest and shows most improvement who attains the highest prize.
This is not entirely true. There are those who do not have to work very hard in order to attain good prizes and there are those who have to work as hard as they can just to tread water. Like the song says, "It ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son."

Curious
Sage

Post #18

Post by Curious »

ST88 wrote:
Curious wrote:While some people are undoubtedly more able than others, where is the benefit of having everything come easily. More often than not the most naturally gifted individuals lack motivation as they tend to rest on their laurels. In all endeavours it is the one who works hardest and shows most improvement who attains the highest prize.
This is not entirely true. There are those who do not have to work very hard in order to attain good prizes and there are those who have to work as hard as they can just to tread water. Like the song says, "It ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son."
Well that assumes you don't regard growth or self improvement as the highest prize.

Corvus
Guru

Post #19

Post by Corvus »

LillSnopp wrote:
I am think that a nation of imbeciles can be quite happy and productive as far as societies go; possibly even more happy and productive than a nation of geniuses,
Perhaps so, but the nation of imbeciles would destroy the world because of ignorance, and the future of mankind (such as the US for example), whiles a nation with ´geniuses´ would be less likely, and have the ability, to prevent this.
No, I don't agree. I don't see how a nation of imbeciles can succeed in destroying the world. Isn't it usually evil geniuses that do that in the comics, and don't good, honest hardworking people usually stop them?

Tell me, lillsnopp, have you ever heard of the 'noble savage'?
Curious wrote:
ST88 wrote:
Well that assumes you don't regard growth or self improvement as the highest prize.
And that assumes you regard hard work as conducive to growth and self-improvement. ;)
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Regular_Guy
Student

Post #20

Post by Regular_Guy »

A simple belief that the innate goodness of natural man was superior to the artificial goodness of sophisticated man. (a noble savage)