The Golden Rule

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

scottybruno

The Golden Rule

Post #1

Post by scottybruno »

Could you imagine what the world would be like if everyone paid attention to one specific message that is encountered in almost every known religion; "The Golden Rule"?

The earth and her people would become so much closer to divinity. Here are some great examples of the Golden Rule in a few good religions:

"13 Golden Rules from 13 Differing Religious Beliefs"
by: Scott Bruno
http://www.scottbruno.com/golden-rule.htm

Here we see a composition of writings in which each of them is similar within the area of the "Golden Rule" or some aspect therein. It is painful to see different religions and beliefs hurting one another, or speaking of how other believers are going to hell when indeed at the very root of all these beliefs lies a consistent and caring message; The Golden Rule.

"13 Golden Rules from 13 Differing Religious Beliefs"

CHRISTIAN FAITH
*All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.* ~ The Gospels of Matthew and Luke (Matt 7:12, Luke 6:31)

MUSLIM FAITH
*No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.* ~ Hadith

JEWISH FAITH
*What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: that is the whole Torah; all the rest of it is commentary; go and learn.* ~ Talmud, Shabbat 31a

BUDDHISM FAITH
*Hurt not others with that which pains yourself.* ~Udana-Varga

NATURISM / MATERIALISM
*Do not do unto others what angers you if done to you by others.* ~Isocrates 436-338 BCE

HINDUISM
*This is the sum of duty; do naught to others that which if done to thee would cause pain.

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGIONS
*One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts.* ~ Yoruba Proverb (Nigeria)

BAH*'* FAITH
*And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbor that which thou chooses for thyself.* ~ Epistle to the Son of the Wolf , 30

SIKHISM FAITH
*Precious like jewels are the minds of all. To hurt them is not at all good. If though desirest thy beloved, then, hurt thou not any one's heart.

ZOROASTRIAN FAITH
*Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others.* ~Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

WICCAN FAITH
*An it harm none, do what thou wilt.* ~ Wiccan Rede

JAINISM
*A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated.* ~ Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

CONFUCIANISM
*Tsekung asked, Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life? Confucius replied, It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you.* ~ Analects 15.23

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Aristarkos »

Welcome, Sue.
sue wrote:
BUDDHISM FAITH
*Hurt not others with that which pains yourself.* ~Udana-Varga
Part of buddhism is letting go of the ego. I have found that when I'm mindful enough to drop my ego, I'm less susceptible to pain from insensitive remarks which once would have bothered me a great deal. I suspect that emotional pain is nearly impossible to inflict on someone who's truly mastered buddhism.

So someone like the Dalai Lama could go around being a rude, inconsiderate jerk and still adhere to this rule.
Technically and literally, this is true, but it's not in the spirit of the "rule". Buddhism stresses love and compassion (wanting others to be happy and not suffer).

sue

Post #12

Post by sue »

Aristarkos wrote:Technically and literally, this is true, but it's not in the spirit of the "rule". Buddhism stresses love and compassion (wanting others to be happy and not suffer).
Agreed, it's the other rules of Buddhism that keep him from being a jerk.

I just have fun with the paradox and the mental image of the Dalai Lama slamming the door in someone's face. There's got to be a Saturday Night Live skit in there somewhere. :)

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Aristarkos »

sue wrote:
Aristarkos wrote:Technically and literally, this is true, but it's not in the spirit of the "rule". Buddhism stresses love and compassion (wanting others to be happy and not suffer).
Agreed, it's the other rules of Buddhism that keep him from being a jerk.

I just have fun with the paradox and the mental image of the Dalai Lama slamming the door in someone's face. There's got to be a Saturday Night Live skit in there somewhere. :)
The screaming Church Lady is pinned to the floor by Kwai Chang Caine who just can't take anymore of her taunting Satan-rant. :)

Do you have a low jerk-threshold? :shock:

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #14

Post by MagusYanam »

sue wrote:Agreed, it's the other rules of Buddhism that keep him from being a jerk.

I just have fun with the paradox and the mental image of the Dalai Lama slamming the door in someone's face. There's got to be a Saturday Night Live skit in there somewhere.
Indeed, welcome to the forum, sue.

That would be funny indeed, if only for the absurdity (but I like absurdisms, so that's all good). I've gone to see the Dalai Lama speak before and was quite impressed with his compassion and his sense of humour - the man is the kind of guy I'd want running my country. But from what I've read his predecessors in that office weren't such nice-guys themselves.

What do the Buddhist teachings have to say about slavery, BTW (I heard that was a big problem in Tibet before the Chinese took control)?
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

sue

Post #15

Post by sue »

MagusYanam wrote:What do the Buddhist teachings have to say about slavery, BTW (I heard that was a big problem in Tibet before the Chinese took control)?
Thank you for the question. Buddhism is closest to my religion so it was the best usergroup for me, but I'm not a very knowledgable buddhist, I'll be the first to admit. I read books by Chogyam Trungpa but haven't read the Tipitaka (closest thing there is to buddhist scripture) and have only read a few sutras. So I can't claim much knowledge ... this is all stuff that I googled. :)

I didn't know that there was a problem with slavery in Tibet, but I found this footnoted article that does support that.

I found that buddha was opposed to India's caste system. He said:
By birth one is not an outcaste,
By birth one is not a Brahmin;
By deeds alone one is an outcaste,
By deeds alone one is a Brahmin

Also in the Tipitaka this is one of the prosribed behaviors for monks:
"He abstains from accepting uncooked grain...raw meat...women and girls...male and female slaves...goats and sheep...fowl and pigs...elephants, cattle, steeds, and mares...fields and property."

And too I found this article on Buddhism and Slavery, which is very interesting. It doesn't offer any definitive rule to not have slaves, but it does say that you should treat them well. In fact it says to give them wages, healthcare, and time off.

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #16

Post by MagusYanam »

Yes, Buddhism always had struck me as a very egalitarian faith at its heart (of course, my knowledge of it is limited pretty much to its role in Chinese history - I'm a Chinese minor, btw). I suppose you'll find people anywhere and in any faith, though, whose beliefs contrast horribly with their practise (probably very many such people).

I do enjoy the fact, though, that all the major religions of the world share the same basic deontological tenet to treat other people as you would treat yourself.
sue wrote:And too I found this article on Buddhism and Slavery, which is very interesting. It doesn't offer any definitive rule to not have slaves, but it does say that you should treat them well. In fact it says to give them wages, healthcare, and time off.
Indeed, this article was very interesting. Slavery is something very explicit, though, and the article could probably have done a little better job of making stipulations. At the same time, it looked like the sources cited weren't trying to make a case for slavery per se, but for a healthy and reciprocal relationship between a person of superior rank and a person of inferior rank, much like the original Confucian doctrines.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

1John2_26
Guru

Post #17

Post by 1John2_26 »

Why isn't the Dali Lama in Tibet fighting (working and praying) for his people? The guy cannot die right? He'll just come back in some other person's body. Right?

"Free Tibet"

Then why does anyone have to send money?

Why wouldn't the Dali Lama do unto the Chinese authorites and submit to their rule?

I've always wanted to ask those questions.

But anyway, isn't the Golden Rule a kind of cosmic absolute? A natural law proving humans are not animals?