Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

No deal

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 7 by Zzyzx]

You cant agree to such a deal. You are of the opinion that you are God. That nothing is greater than you.

You wouldnt be on here if you knew with certainty that God doesnt exist. You wouldnt spend one minute defending the falsity of the Easter Bunny. Because you know there is no Easter bunny. God...you cant prove he doesn't exist. So you cant prove i am wrong for believing he exists.
We are in the same boat. Paddling in different directions. Going in circles. Here: ill share my virtual soda and sandwhich as we circle.

Edited to add: The 'deal' referred to a line in my signature which reads: "Make you a deal – If you stop claiming knowledge of invisible, undetectable unicorns, I will stop challenging your claim. Same goes for gods."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Switcheroo – the initial claim was that I am dependent upon financial SUPPORT. My finances are adequate to cover expenses for as long as I live. Therefore, I need no financial support – just as I said
I think most readers would agree to the gist of what I was referring to, so there is really no need to start arguing semantics…
I trust that astute readers are capable of distinguishing between “finances� vs. “Dependent upon financial support� – though that may seem like ‘arguing semantics’ to those who cannot or will not understand.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
William wrote:
Do you think you will survive the coming catastrophe of The Climate Change?
I have absolutely NO concern about personally surviving climate change. I turn eighty years old this year. The rate of change is unlikely to affect me during the next few years.
So why do you think then that you are a person of integrity who regards oneself as 'greater' than imaginary entities'?
What the heck does my lack of personal concern regarding climate change have to do with imaginary entities?
William wrote:
Are you not aware of any Metaphysical Entities which are proclaimed to care about such things?
I do not pretend to know about ‘metaphysical entities’ or their hypothetical cares. Do you?
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
William wrote:
From my own position, which also incidentally depends on finance, i live from week to week, have no assets, rent, buy food, yada yada...
This is because the only thing I was taught about money which stuck, is that it was evil.
I understand why my dad thought of it that way, because he came from a poor background which was most likely generations old, where it was only known that being poor in this world was to suffer at the hands of evil...and evil operates so well when - coincidentally - it is well financed.
Condolences
Why do you feel the need to give me condolences?Are you thinking that your position is somehow so different from mine that mine is beneath your own?
Offering condolences does NOT imply ‘beneath’. I would do the same if someone lost their dog – or hit their head with a hammer.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: However, we are each responsible for LEARNING about the world we inhabit (including financial systems), and cannot legitimately blame others for our lack of knowledge or success.
I know of no actual Laws which prevent others from taking what they lawfully can, and nor am I aware of any Laws which stipulate that being poor is somehow a fault.
I am not aware of any laws that prevent a person from learning. So what?

Has someone in this thread said or suggested that “being poor is somehow a fault�? If not, kindly stop with the stinky fish (red herring blunder in logic).
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Some of us who also came from a ‘working class’ background chose paths different from our upbringing / family / friends / etc.
I get the impression that your response to my own, is due to your thinking that I am blaming others for my being in the position I am.

I never said that I thought my position was wrong, or agreed with anyone that somehow there should be fault.
What you posted was:
William wrote:
From my own position, which also incidentally depends on finance, i live from week to week, have no assets, rent, buy food, yada yada...
This is because the only thing I was taught about money which stuck, is that it was evil.

I understand why my dad thought of it that way, because he came from a poor background
which was most likely generations old, where it was only known that being poor in this world was to suffer at the hands of evil...and evil operates so well when - coincidentally - it is well financed.
“This is because� assigns responsibility. “Only thing I was taught (that stuck)� identifies the condition. “My dad thought that way� identifies a person related to the condition.

Of course, that isn’t excuse-making or blaming anyone –

William wrote:
What I said was that is why the stories Jesus told are so appealing to the poor...they promise retribution on the rich from the so-far, "invisible, undetectable, proposed supernatural entities" because the rich give the poor no alternative Justice to put their hope in. All they get is grief.
Condolences to the poor in their grief

Some of us who were once poor learned to find paths out of poverty that do not involve worshiping or depending on "invisible, undetectable, proposed supernatural entities"
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Religions, including Christianity, often appeal to the ‘downtrodden’ by giving them ‘hope’ for better things ‘after you die’.
And you are here to offer a better solution, before you depart this mortal realm?
Heck no. I offer no solutions and no advice. It makes no difference to me what people choose to do, or not do, or what they think (or don’t think) – unless it affects my life directly.

It seems to me as though it would be advantageous for people to learn to think critically / analytically, learn useful and marketable skills, learn basic personal finance. However, It is not ‘in my job description’ to teach such things.

If an individual finds useful information in what I present, fine. If not, fine. Not my concern.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: So far, no takers – but a lot of TALKERS claiming knowledge of invisible, undetectable, proposed supernatural entities. [/color]
Yes...can one suppose that this is something you would do if you were an imaginary entity?
One can suppose whatever their imagination allows. However, that would be a rather foolish supposition.[/color]
What allows you to imagine that you will not be finally getting what you ask for, after your body dies, that you proclaim such as "foolish"...you haven't said.
I do not imagine anything regarding ‘after you die’. I am aware that dead bodies decompose.

Careful reading of what I posted above (with some level of comprehension) should clearly indicate that ‘foolish supposition’ referred to your comment about what I would do if I were an imaginary entity. VERY foolish assumption since do not fantasize about imaginary entities or imagine myself being such a thing.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Locking thread.

Please avoid creating threads to comment on or debate about a poster.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.