Christian Violence

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Christian Violence

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:Is that why Christians since St. Augustine have not ever really agreed with each other about Jesus' teachings about violence?
1John2_26 wrote:... t is probably because of frustration for evil and violence within so many. But if you use the words of Jesus, there seems to be little fighting one can do in his name. Actually I can't see any. In that I think that the Quakers got it right. You seem to be saying that some Muslims and some atheists are quite as good as other Muslims and atheists. Seems like every human has the same weakness to me. I hope the good ones keep pointing out how to be nice to the bad ones. We Christians do it as a matter of fact, day in and day out. Look at Bush's loudest enemies in the US. Most claim they want their Christianity back. Wierd but true. But there is no jihad in the New Testament anywhere and c'mon jihad does mean war on infidels. That is a fact. [Are] there any wars attributed to Christians fighting to spread Christianity in the last hundred or so years? Islam is still at it.

Which is the correct Christian position? Jesus taught very plainly about violence and the correct reaction to it. Some Christian sects reject violence as a solution to interpersonal or international problems.
On the other hand the practice of many calling themselves Christian involve the practice of war. Augustine and many Christian theologians since have justified violence under certain circumstances. His restrictions are largely ignored by modern Christian soldiers. The same God that the Christians worship appears to have ordered genocide in order that his chosen people could have a homeland.

Question for debate, "Which is the authentic Christian teaching? Just war or Turn the other cheek?"
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Tilia
Guru

Post #101

Post by Tilia »

Dilettante wrote:Tilia wrote:
Because they did not know that Jesus referred to betrayal.
Why don't you actually read your own favoured gospel? Or have you sliced out this bit?

'"What you are about to do, do quickly," Jesus told him, but no-one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the Feast, or to give something to the poor.' (John 13:27-29 NIV)
That's a good example of the incongruities in the narrative.
They've just asked Jesus to identify the traitor, he does, and then they forget all about it and don't understand he was referring to betrayal.
Quote a published author who says that.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #102

Post by Dilettante »

Tilia wrote:
With pleasure. I am holding in my hand right now a Spanish bible edited by Dr. Evaristo Martín Nieto, director of the House of the Bible in Madrid, and published by Ediciones San Pablo in 1989. On page 1537 a footnote says: "La incongruencia existente en el relato--a pesar de la claridad con que el traidor ha sido identificado por Jesús, los discípulos no saben dónde va Judas ni reaccionan en lo más mínimo al saber que va a entregar a Jesús-- tiene la finalidad de que las cosas se desarrollen pacíficamente, demuestra la soberanía de Jesús, que conoce los propósitos de Judas y no se opone a ellos, establece la separación entre Jesús y los "suyos", por un lado, y los de fuera, los de las tinieblas, por otro, a los que pertenece Judas."

Tilia
Guru

Post #103

Post by Tilia »

Dilettante wrote:Tilia wrote:
With pleasure. I am holding in my hand right now a Spanish bible edited by Dr. Evaristo Martín Nieto, director of the House of the Bible in Madrid, and published by Ediciones San Pablo in 1989. On page 1537 a footnote says: "La incongruencia existente en el relato--a pesar de la claridad con que el traidor ha sido identificado por Jesús, los discípulos no saben dónde va Judas ni reaccionan en lo más mínimo al saber que va a entregar a Jesús-- tiene la finalidad de que las cosas se desarrollen pacíficamente, demuestra la soberanía de Jesús, que conoce los propósitos de Judas y no se opone a ellos, establece la separación entre Jesús y los "suyos", por un lado, y los de fuera, los de las tinieblas, por otro, a los que pertenece Judas."
Just shows how stupid people can be.

Let me enlarge, just in case it is necessary. Dr. Evaristo Martín Nieto is either stupid, or lying. There is no necessary connexion between Jesus' action and his words. That is, with just a little thought, a very obvious conclusion from my very constructive reply.
Last edited by Tilia on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #104

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Tilia, it is really not all that hard to be civil. You should try it some time.

Here are some good guidelines:

1. No personal attacks of any sort are allowed.
7. Do not post frivolous, flame bait, or inflammatory messages.
14. In general, all members are to be civil and respectful.

And particularly concerning your last post:

5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not make blanket statements that are not supportable by logic/evidence.
9. No unconstructive one-liners posts are allowed in debates (Do not simply say "Ditto" or "I disagree" in a post. Such posts add little value to debates).

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #105

That is your vision. Mine is pretty different. You will even find a previous analysis of the verses here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... =fetishist
I find that pretty far-fetched, personally. Feet washing was customary in those times, as many people did not wear shoes whilst roaming the country side; It was done whenever entering a home or place of rest. Why is it so strange that Jesus would wash his disciples feet? It is a sign of humility, and is a testament to his self-proclaimed intent of serving others (Matt 20:28).

Discriminatory against women? In that thread you act as if Jesus ordered the woman to come pamper him as he consoles in his male dominance. In reality, the woman is documented as comming in her own free will, and in doing this primarily acknowledges her past unrighteousness and renewed detication to God. Who says women never washed their feet? Most characters in the Bible are male, an undocumented female instance is really not so strange. The majority of women at the time were more confined to house work anyway. I don't deny the general Biblical predjudice against women (one of the major reasons I have started to abandon the religion), but Jesus is rarely documented as being anything but completely humble.

Also, since when are feet a sexual object?

On another note, I wish you would post such arguments here, as it is rather difficult to comment on links.
So a character like him just speaks in vain, not concerned about the statements either for the moment or the posterity
I said no such thing. You are attaching meanings to verses that are not even applicable.
Once again, you gotta decide, do the words mean anything or is it all pure metaphore... Because, if everything is metaphore, then it can be interpreted in one way or another.
Does it have to be all or nothing? Some scriptures are litteral, others are metaphors. It does not take a great deal of literary knowledge to figure out which is which in most situations.
Then, it is pointless?
I believe There are multiple reasons for its inclusion.

One may be to highlight Judas' hypocracy and true character just before his betrayal:

Joh 12:4
One of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was going to betray him, asked, "Why wasn't this perfume sold for a high price and the money given to the poor?" (Judas didn't say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief. He was in charge of the moneybag and carried the contributions)

Another is a judgement on intention ("She has done a beautiful thing for me. She has done this to prepare me for the day I will be placed in a tomb.")
There are plenty of figures in history and myth that are far bigger than Jesus in terms of character and gave examples more precious and words more inspired.
Perhaps. Still, that does not negate many good things in his teachings.

Once again, you seem to express the all or nothing mentality. Either Jesus was morally flawless and divinely inspired, or completely evil. You cannot deny that the majority of his words and actions were ethical. Perhaps some of his words were not exclusively good, and maybe he was not perfect (I have never denied the possibility). That does not negate his beneficial message.
When you pretend that Inquisition or war between Catholics and Protestants have nothing to do with religion and point in another direction, sorry, but "excuses" is the only word that comes to mind.
Of course religion plays a part. But the point was, it plays no more of a part than the many other views, customs, and ambitions that have divided humans for centuries.

Many people such as yourself share the view that religion is the bane of civilization. IMO, not only does religion play a limited role in the instigation of conflicts, but the absense of it would do precious little (if any) to benefit humanity. The spirit of civilization relies on God, whether or not he exists.
When somebody kills in the name of God, and believes it in his heart, you can blame bad influence or gullibility. But still religion is deeply involved.
Religion is ALL that is involved to some shallow minds. The aformentioned great antagonistic qualities in humans exist at the root of every conflict. Abate those and we will attain peace, religion or no religion.
How does it changes a lie into truth? If a lie makes you happy, it is still a lie.
Many people would consider your beliefs a lie, and would ask you the very same.

I don't see where you get off at making such blanket assertions of fact. You don't seem to like it when Christians do it.
Not really, unless you define knowledge in some queer unusual way.

Two people can define knowledge exactly the same, yet arrive at completely opposite conclusions.

Quite arrogant of you to profess your belief as anything more than opinon.

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #106

Post by trencacloscas »

Also, since when are feet a sexual object?
Check internet. Google "foot fetish" and decide yourself.

Anyway, would you mind directing comments to the specific thread?
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.
Dr. Gregory House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

(HOUSE MD. Season 1 Episode 5)

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #107

Post by trencacloscas »

trencacloscas wrote:
So a character like him just speaks in vain, not concerned about the statements either for the moment or the posterity

I said no such thing. You are attaching meanings to verses that are not even applicable.
I didn't say you said it, I'm just drawing conclusions from the conversation. If your "saviour" just acted or spoke in vain, and large parts of the Gospels are meaningless (as the scene mentioned), there is no reason to call them sacred in any sense.
Does it have to be all or nothing? Some scriptures are litteral, others are metaphors. It does not take a great deal of literary knowledge to figure out which is which in most situations.
Yes. It has to be all or nothing if you claim the text sacred or set to determine attitudes to live by. And excuse me, but "figuring out" is something that Christians miss completely, since their many churches fight endlessly about meaning and interpretation.
Quote:
Then, it is pointless?

I believe There are multiple reasons for its inclusion.

One may be to highlight Judas' hypocracy and true character just before his betrayal:

Joh 12:4
One of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was going to betray him, asked, "Why wasn't this perfume sold for a high price and the money given to the poor?" (Judas didn't say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief. He was in charge of the moneybag and carried the contributions)

Another is a judgement on intention ("She has done a beautiful thing for me. She has done this to prepare me for the day I will be placed in a tomb.")
That is fine in terms of literature. We already discussed that. If it only represents a literary text, we can make the critical analysis and rest and enjoy, like if it were a Shakespeare play or a short story by Edgar A. Poe. But Christians not only pretend that these texts have some mystical value but they also were actually based on a reality acted by real human beings. And it does not make sense, at all. You are even giving random interpretations that are not present in the text and not even considering my interpretations. Why are your interpretetions better than mine? Or are you just following a long biased tradition of apologetics?
Once again, you seem to express the all or nothing mentality. Either Jesus was morally flawless and divinely inspired, or completely evil.
Not necessarily evil. Just incoherent. Not depending on a real philosophy of life.
You cannot deny that the majority of his words and actions were ethical. Perhaps some of his words were not exclusively good, and maybe he was not perfect (I have never denied the possibility). That does not negate his beneficial message.
And which is the supposed message. Be good? Be charitative? Be gentle? OK, but why? Oh, because God wants it! The only explanation given, so... Some things that God wants may not be "beneficial", and then what?
Of course religion plays a part. But the point was, it plays no more of a part than the many other views, customs, and ambitions that have divided humans for centuries.
Then the idea is try to avoid the dangers of that rotten part.
Not only does religion play a limited role in the instigation of conflicts,
Wo wo wo!!!! That's exclusively your claim. Pretty unsupported, since religion wars and many other views contradict it.
but the absense of it would do precious little (if any) to benefit humanity.
That remains to be proved.
The spirit of civilization relies on God, whether or not he exists.
I agree. The power of myth and superstition is huge. But, ought it to remain forever like that? Cannot mankind learn to leave mistakes and lies behind?
Religion is ALL that is involved to some shallow minds.
It also contributes to create or eventually keep them shallow.
trencacloscas wrote:
How does it changes a lie into truth? If a lie makes you happy, it is still a lie.

Many people would consider your beliefs a lie, and would ask you the very same.
There must be some mistake, I didn't expose any beliefs here
Two people can define knowledge exactly the same, yet arrive at completely opposite conclusions.

Quite arrogant of you to profess your belief as anything more than opinon.
Sorry, didn't intend to sound arrogant. Knowledge is by definition falsifiable and verifiable. Is this the same definition you manage? Show me how your knowledge of God is both falsifiable and verifiable and then we an agreement on this too.
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #108

I didn't say you said it, I'm just drawing conclusions from the conversation. If your "saviour" just acted or spoke in vain, and large parts of the Gospels are meaningless (as the scene mentioned), there is no reason to call them sacred in any sense.

Who is calling them sacred? We are discussing exclusively their implication. Hence the thread title. You are arguing against divinity, an entirelly seperate issue.
You are even giving random interpretations that are not present in the text and not even considering my interpretations. Why are your interpretetions better than mine? Or are you just following a long biased tradition of apologetics?
I considered all your interpretations, and just happen to disagree with all of them. How are my interpretations invalid? Don't just tell me, show me.

I find the verses you have shown to be insufficient in debunking the typical Christian position against violence. We have hundreds of verses blatantly condemning aggression, and a small questionable handful that are only vaguely related. The issue is not Jesus' divinity. His overall position on both violence and charity are clear, regardless of who he really was.
And which is the supposed message. Be good? Be charitative? Be gentle? OK, but why? Oh, because God wants it! The only explanation given, so... Some things that God wants may not be "beneficial", and then what?
Then you judge for yourself, as everyone should do regardless.

So Christians are not taught to think for themselves? Well, that would be a good reason not to be Christian (I am technically Agnostic, afterall). But it is not a good reason to decry everything the Bible teaches, the majority of which is completely ethical.
Then the idea is try to avoid the dangers of that rotten part.
The rotten part, referring to human incentives such as greed, lust, and intolerance?

Exactly what I (and the Bible) have been arguing.
Not only does religion play a limited role in the instigation of conflicts,

Wo wo wo!!!! That's exclusively your claim. Pretty unsupported, since religion wars and many other views contradict it.
A religious war is limited to the greed or intolerance of its propagators.
The spirit of civilization relies on God, whether or not he exists.

I agree. The power of myth and superstition is huge. But, ought it to remain forever like that? Cannot mankind learn to leave mistakes and lies behind?
Perhaps if it can. But CAN it? Unless science finds a way to appeal to human emotion, I would not hold out much hope.

Our spiritual nature is a congenital instinct. How do you plan to negate that? I feel the only choice is to embrace it.
There must be some mistake, I didn't expose any beliefs here
You believe in the fallability of the Bible. Many people would dissagree with that.

Ami
Apprentice

Post #109

Post by Ami »

Isn't that the usual reason people do any good, because it pleases either god(s) or people? Like some person may decide to be charitable out of persuasion of a friend. Likewise, that same friend can persuade that person to do something wrong.

Thinking for yourself is beneficial, yet it can also lead to the same errors; you might think doing something is right when it is in fact in reality quite wrong.

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #110

Post by trencacloscas »

Who is calling them sacred? We are discussing exclusively their implication. Hence the thread title. You are arguing against divinity, an entirelly seperate issue.
I don't think so. It is the core of it all. If there were not claims about the sacred or divine character of Jesus, we wouldn't even bother ourselves to discuss such picayune individual. Imagine: A Jewish hobo walking two millenia ago preaching nonsense to illiterate multitudes, and his existence is not even properly documented!
I considered all your interpretations, and just happen to disagree with all of them. How are my interpretations invalid? Don't just tell me, show me.
I'm not saying they are invalid. I'm claiming they are not unanimous or universal or evident, and many others can be proposed.
We have hundreds of verses blatantly condemning aggression, and a small questionable handful that are only vaguely related.
No. The "questionable" are literal, immovable as rocks. You are basing on interpretations and pleading context, not acknowledging literal meaning.
His overall position on both violence and charity are clear, regardless of who he really was.
As we saw, Jesus himself is portrayed as violent and selfish sometimes, not only in sayings but in acts. And please, for any counterpoint, if you mention Jesus, concentrate on the four Gospels.
So Christians are not taught to think for themselves? Well, that would be a good reason not to be Christian (I am technically Agnostic, afterall). But it is not a good reason to decry everything the Bible teaches, the majority of which is completely ethical.
Ethics depend on freedom. If your ethics depend on the commands of a divinity, the only ethics derived from that link is the compliment of the commands: you are ethically coherent only by following the command blindly. No cogitation involved. From this point of view, the Bible is an unethical book as a whole, except for the meaning presented.
A religious war is limited to the greed or intolerance of its propagators.
No. The followers believe the lie and kill in the name of that delusion. Remember Lennon: what if they declare war and nobody go? Then, there's not war. Professional armies aside, the wars between Catholics and Protestants became very... er... personal.
You believe in the fallability of the Bible.
That's hardly a belief. I imagine I'd change position overnight if the proper evidences are presented.
Our spiritual nature is a congenital instinct. How do you plan to negate that? I feel the only choice is to embrace it.
I don't even think religion and instinct are related in the way you suggest.
Isn't that the usual reason people do any good, because it pleases either god(s) or people?
If that is the reason for their acts, such people not only lack any moral value but they also deserve to be pitied.
Thinking for yourself is beneficial, yet it can also lead to the same errors; you might think doing something is right when it is in fact in reality quite wrong.
So the idea is leave someone else think for you and lead, like sheeps do?