Peace to you,
historia wrote: ↑Thu Aug 13, 2026 11:26 pm
On
Authority:
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
historia wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:50 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:50 pm
Not if you cut off those different beliefs as they arise
As the apostles themselves did, right?
I do not recall the apostles going around persecuting and executing so-called heretics. I do recall that they were the ones BEING persecuted and executed.
The same is true of the Early Church Fathers -- who followed the Catholic approach to establishing beliefs. For centuries, they, like the apostles, were the ones BEING persecuted and executed.
A - I do not recognize these people you are calling 'early church fathers'. (I don't even know who they are except that these would not be the apostles.)
"And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven." Matt 23:9
My Father is in heaven. My Teacher and Master is Christ.
B - What is this catholic approach to 'establishing beliefs'? If a person is a disciple of Christ, should one not be listening to Him - the One Teacher, the Master. The very one to whom God said to listen?
C - I feel like you might be bypassing the fact that the Catholic religion did persecute, imprison, and execute so-called 'heretics'.
**
As for dissenting beliefs - a cult has no dissenting beliefs. Dissenters are cast out, shunned, ex-communicated, executed (when the time and law permitted, or even despite the laws against it.)
So to say that the RCC methodology does not produce dissenting beliefs (official beliefs), this is not saying much.
Truth is not based upon or established by people agreeing.
Truth is Christ - His word, His teaching, He, Himself.
A billion people can agree on a falsehood.
Truth is truth - even if no human being were to believe it (or rather, believe Him.)
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
historia wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:50 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:50 pm
I could never trust the RCC (or any religion/sect/denomination)... because they ALL lie.
Jesus himself started a sect.
He did not start a new religion, and sect is defined as a breakaway religious body.
Correct, the earliest Christians were a small group of Jews who broke away from the religious groups of their day because of differences in beliefs and practice -- the very definition of a sect.
Let's remove the word sect since it is distracting from the point. Every religion and denomination out there lies. Purposefully or not. Every single one of them. None of them - not a single one of them - is the Truth.
To that point, however, not even the apostles were the Truth.
Christ Jaheshua is the Truth.
Hence, hold all things up to Him. If something contradicts Him, it cannot be true - not even if an apostle were to have taught it.
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
I hold all things up to Christ. Including anything I, myself, might think.
What, exactly, do you mean by "hold all things up to Christ"?
By 'all things' I mean all teachings, doctrines, examples that someone or something claims to be from Christ and/or His Father.
By hold these up to Christ - I mean test these things against Him: His word, His teaching, His example.
So for example: if there were a religion or person who promoted forced conversions, hold that up to Christ. Did He force anyone to convert? Of course not. Nor does that make sense for at least two reasons:
1 - He said Himself that 'no one comes to the Son unless the Father draws them.
2 - Conversion to what? A religion? Just because someone is part of a religion does not mean that they belong to Christ and His Father. It just means they belong to that religion.
Let's try another one. If someone teaches that Christ is the Archangel Michael, well - did Christ teach that? Or did He instead teach that He is the Son of God? It is exactly the same reasoning as with the trinity. Everyone seems to be trying to make Him out to be someone other than who HE said Himself.
I was very bothered by this particular question back when I was just learning, actively seeking to know what was true, to be where God wanted me to be. JW's taught the archangel thing, and most everyone else taught this trinity thing. I didn't know what was true. I could not find a definitive statement against either one of these teachings (by definitive I mean Christ stating directly in what is written "I am not the archangel Michael" or "there is no trinity")
It was not long after that my Lord taught me (Himself) that I am not to worry about what men and religion teach. I am just to remain in Him and His word. He did not have to directly speak against these things (or any number of false teachings that men came up with.) He DID teach who HE is - He said that DIRECTLY.
I am the Son of God. I am God's Son.
I am to listen
to Him.
Simple as that.
historia wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:50 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume "hold all things up to Christ" means checking whether a belief or practice is consistent with what Christ taught.
If so, then knowing whether Christ actually said the things recorded in the Gospel of Thomas, or not, would be an absolutely
critical fact to determine
before anything else. Otherwise, we don't know what teachings -- what standard -- we are comparing all things against, right?
Hold all things up to Christ does not mean 'go out and find every single thing that man has ever said or written about Christ or God.' That would be a never ending task.
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
Even if I did ask, Historia, it does not mean that I would be given something to come back and share on this forum.
I don't understand. If the Gospel of Thomas really does contain Jesus' true teachings -- and Christ were to tell you himself that those are his true teaching -- you're saying you can't inform the rest of us? Why keep such critical information a secret?
I'm not saying that at all. I'm simply stating that asking does not have to mean I would be given something to share (or even that I would be given something any time soon. If I need to know something, He will teach me when the time is right.)
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
historia wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:50 pm
Did Jesus say we should listen to the apostles?
If you're uncertain on that question, why not just ask him directly?
I am not uncertain.
He did not say that we should listen to the apostles.
That is not even possible.
In a recent thread you noted this:
tam wrote: ↑Sat Jul 04, 2026 12:38 am
The story of the rich man and Lazarus is not about the judgment (at the end of the thousand years.) It cannot be about that since the 'rich man' asked for Abraham to send Lazarus to his family so they would repent. This means the man had family still living, with time still to be convinced (since Abraham also said they could
listen to Moses and the prophets.)
How is that possible?
I think that meant by listening to what Moses and the Prophets had testified to Christ (and which was written as scripture.) Of course, Moses told them to listen to Christ - and most still did not recognize Him when standing right in front of Him.
And again,
"No one comes to the Son unless the Father draws them."
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
I am asking you to produce your evidence for something you seem to believe.
A reasonable request. But what counts as evidence for what Jesus said?
A reasonable request and yet you have not done it.
I said from the start that you could post where
you got it from.
I think the reason we're dancing around it (and I could be wrong) is because Christ does not say 'listen to the apostles.'
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
But if people - including people in Christ - disagree on a matter, then what should they do? Talk it over, bring it to Christ, speak from love, reason with one another, share what one has been given, test the inspired expression, hold everything up to Christ - and in the end, remain in Christ.
Perhaps you can demonstrate that: You and OneJack should get together, talk things over, and decide which of you is wrong. Because you both claim to go directly to Christ, yet have
completely contradictory views on God.
Onejack and I have talked things over. Evidence has been presented. Reasoning has been done as much as possible, to date.
During this time, Onejack has admitted openly that he is not listening to the Son of God. What more needs to be said than that?
What else do you think should be done, Historia?
I am going to do what my Lord has taught me: remain in Him and His word.
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2026 1:41 pm
historia wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:50 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:50 pm
The author of the Gospel of John does not teach 'eternally begotten.'
Says who?
You, yourself, said 'eternally begotten' is implied or assumed in the creed, but not actually stated.
I meant this question quite literally: Who says the Gospel of John does not teach 'eternally begotten'?
Why does that matter?
Peace again to you.