Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Post #1

Post by POI »

We have countless claims, from Christians, to God/Jesus answering prayers for healing to human affliction(s). And by 'answered' prayer, I mean God/Jesus states -- (yes, I will grant you this prayer request to remove the human affliction).

For Debate:

1. Does God "answer" any of these prayer requests? If not, why?
2. If so, why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Post #191

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:10 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:29 am There is no evidence that comets have destroyed anything on the earth. But the KT Extinction and the Tunguska and the other old craters have been shown to have been meteoric. And the Chinese thought Lightning was dragons, but not comets. Please show anything to that says people thought comets were dragons and caused destruction anywhere. Except in fairy tales. In any case, even if anything you wrote was right, it is a nit -pick as i would simply have to find another simile for beliefs based on nothing.
Maybe asteroid or meteor would have been a better word in this case. And for example there is evidence Sodom was destroyed by meteor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandeze ... -of-sodom/

But, was comets/meteors called dragons. I say only that some people say ancient people thought so. It may be wrong information.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:29 am ...You in fact (as I recall) tacitly conceded that it DOESN'T work...
Where have I said so? Sorry, if i have been unclear, I think prayer works exactly as told in the Bible.
Probably wasn't. But obviously a meteor(or asteroid even) isn't visible with a tail in the sky for a substantial people like a comet so your claim that this was thought to be a fiery dragon hardly fits. In any case, do try to keep track.It still means that even if people thought they were fiery dragons, they weren't and no actual real fiery dragons in my analogy is correct.

As I recall, you argued that Jesusgod does not always grant prayers if they are not what the people should have. Whether you did or did nit you can say it works as in the Bible. Arguably on the evidence it does not as the faithful must pray for all sorts of things and do not always get them (while unbelievers like me not NOT pray for things but sometimes get them anyway. Reasonably if prayer was granted as in the Bible we would not need anything really as we could get anything by praying for it. Health, decent living, hot wife...

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #192

Post by TRANSPONDER »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:49 am
1213 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:10 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:29 am There is no evidence that comets have destroyed anything on the earth. But the KT Extinction and the Tunguska and the other old craters have been shown to have been meteoric. And the Chinese thought Lightning was dragons, but not comets. Please show anything to that says people thought comets were dragons and caused destruction anywhere. Except in fairy tales. In any case, even if anything you wrote was right, it is a nit -pick as i would simply have to find another simile for beliefs based on nothing.
Maybe asteroid or meteor would have been a better word in this case. And for example there is evidence Sodom was destroyed by meteor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandeze ... -of-sodom/

But, was comets/meteors called dragons. I say only that some people say ancient people thought so. It may be wrong information.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:29 am ...You in fact (as I recall) tacitly conceded that it DOESN'T work...
Where have I said so? Sorry, if i have been unclear, I think prayer works exactly as told in the Bible.
Probably wasn't. But obviously a meteor(or asteroid even) isn't visible with a tail in the sky for a substantial people like a comet so your claim that this was thought to be a fiery dragon hardly fits. In any case, do try to keep track.It still means that even if people thought they were fiery dragons, they weren't and no actual real fiery dragons in my analogy is correct.

As I recall, you argued that Jesusgod does not always grant prayers if they are not what the people should have. Whether you did or did nit you can say it works as in the Bible. Arguably on the evidence it does not as the faithful must pray for all sorts of things and do not always get them (while unbelievers like me not NOT pray for things but sometimes get them anyway. Reasonably if prayer was granted as in the Bible we would not need anything really as we could get anything by praying for it. Health, decent living, hot wife...
P.s Your #3 "Bible gives certain conditions for prayers. For example these may be one reason why people don't always get what they want." Isn't this a tacit admission that people may pray for stuff and not get it because of 'conditions'?

POI
Prodigy

Post #193

Post by POI »

(5th attempt?) Christians, I'm continuing to bump this thread. Do you guys have any intelligent answers here?

Why does God/Jesus perpetually skip/ignore petitionary and/or intercessory prayer requests for the following afflictions --- (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, and motor neuron disease)?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #194

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:48 pm (5th attempt?) Christians, I'm continuing to bump this thread. Do you guys have any intelligent answers here?

Why does God/Jesus perpetually skip/ignore petitionary and/or intercessory prayer requests for the following afflictions --- (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, and motor neuron disease)?
Yes. Just for jollies I watched a reaction vid to 'why America sucks' and (as I expected) healthcare came first reason. Expense of treatment and people not being able to afford it was a situation worse than Serbia and decline in life expectancy was worse than Burundi. If God answered prayers as promised in the Gospels (and just once is all you need to have shaken on the deal), America would have the best health and life expectancy. And no need of healthcare insurance or expensive drugs (over 10 times as costly as anywhere else, the video said). America would be a Global advertisement for the truth of Christianity instead of a damning documentary of what is wrong with it.

P.s on my last day or so visits I have seen 20 -30 people in every time.This is really good, given that it was more like 0- 6 when I first arrived here. People seem to be noticing the site or taking an interest in the discussion.

Savant

Post #195

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:49 am Probably wasn't. But obviously a meteor(or asteroid even) isn't visible with a tail in the sky for a substantial people like a comet...
I think this proves they can be visible with a tail in the sky. But, obviously you may think that the people that observe it, are not substantial. :D
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:49 amAs I recall, you argued that Jesusgod does not always grant prayers if they are not what the people should have. Whether you did or did nit you can say it works as in the Bible. Arguably on the evidence it does not as the faithful must pray for all sorts of things and do not always get them (while unbelievers like me not NOT pray for things but sometimes get them anyway. Reasonably if prayer was granted as in the Bible we would not need anything really as we could get anything by praying for it. Health, decent living, hot wife...
Maybe you should read my posts again.

But, anyway, Bible tells many things about prayer. Nothing that supports the idea that anyone can make God to do anything they want. If God would do everything that is demanded from him, Satan could for example demand that God kills himself and everyone who loves truth, and God would just do it. no, it is ridiculous and baseless to think that Bible tells God can be made to do everything everyone wants.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #196

Post by Difflugia »

1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 amI think this proves they can be visible with a tail in the sky.
That's a time-lapse photograph. Those "tails" are the same ones that these cars have:

My pronouns are he, him, and his.

POI
Prodigy

Post #197

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am Bible tells many things about prayer. Nothing that supports the idea that anyone can make God to do anything they want. If God would do everything that is demanded from him, Satan could for example demand that God kills himself and everyone who loves truth, and God would just do it. no, it is ridiculous and baseless to think that Bible tells God can be made to do everything everyone wants.
Why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #198

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:49 am Probably wasn't. But obviously a meteor(or asteroid even) isn't visible with a tail in the sky for a substantial people like a comet...
I think this proves they can be visible with a tail in the sky. But, obviously you may think that the people that observe it, are not substantial. :D
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:49 amAs I recall, you argued that Jesusgod does not always grant prayers if they are not what the people should have. Whether you did or did nit you can say it works as in the Bible. Arguably on the evidence it does not as the faithful must pray for all sorts of things and do not always get them (while unbelievers like me not NOT pray for things but sometimes get them anyway. Reasonably if prayer was granted as in the Bible we would not need anything really as we could get anything by praying for it. Health, decent living, hot wife...
Maybe you should read my posts again.

But, anyway, Bible tells many things about prayer. Nothing that supports the idea that anyone can make God to do anything they want. If God would do everything that is demanded from him, Satan could for example demand that God kills himself and everyone who loves truth, and God would just do it. no, it is ridiculous and baseless to think that Bible tells God can be made to do everything everyone wants.
They have a ttrail that lasts a second or two at most. They are far more common than comets. I know they were considered falling stars, not dragons. Not that it is relevant to anything, anyway.

I have read your posts plenty and remember your arguments maybe better than you do. You are either confused or desperate in your argument about prayer. You certainly torture the argument into a kind of strawman The guarantee does not apply to Satan who in in no position to ask anything in Faith (he knows God is real and can do anything). This is about a Biblical guarantee granting any prayer made in Faith by one of the Faithful. Even conceding not granting one that is destructive or sinning. But then why doesn't God pop that get out into the head of the Faithful? It would silence the critics and add to the proof of God. The way it is just now in plainly how it would look if there was no God, no answered prayer and no shred of truth in Christianity.

Savant

Post #199

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:42 pm ... This is about a Biblical guarantee granting any prayer made in Faith by one of the Faithful. ..
Bible tells about praying and the power of belief:

Yahweh is far from the wicked, But he hears the prayer of the righteous.
Prov. 15:29

You lust, and don't have. You kill, covet, and can't obtain. You fight and make war. You don't have, because you don't ask. You ask, and don't receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it for your pleasures.
James 4:2-3

But let him ask in faith, without any doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven by the wind and tossed. For let that man not think that he will receive anything from the Lord.
James 1:6-7

And Jesus said to them, Because of your unbelief. For truly I say to you, If you have faith as a grain of mustard, you will say to this mountain, Move from here to there! And it will move. And nothing shall be impossible to you.
Matt. 17:20

If you ask anything in My Name, I will do it .
John 14:14

By that, one must be righteous and have faith. Then prayer can have desired impact. This means, if you don't get what you ask, it can be because you are not righteous, or because you don't have enough faith, or because you asked something that is not good at the moment. And that is why, if you don't get what you pray, it does not mean God is not real and answering any prayers.

Savant

Post #200

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am Bible tells many things about prayer. Nothing that supports the idea that anyone can make God to do anything they want. If God would do everything that is demanded from him, Satan could for example demand that God kills himself and everyone who loves truth, and God would just do it. no, it is ridiculous and baseless to think that Bible tells God can be made to do everything everyone wants.
Why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
Sorry, I don't believe God perpetually skips the afflictions.