Is the universe a work of Art?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Is the universe a work of Art?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

People, especially Christians like to claim that the universe is a work of art. Not only does this imply a creator, but it also implies that the universe it something to be marvelled and appreciated for its beauty and it’s detail.

To me, I’d say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What seems like beauty or indeed art is different for different people. I could imagine an alien visiting in this planet, looking at the oceans and the tree and the flowers and saying, “What a hell hole�, because they come from a place that is so different. Water might be like acid to them. The air might be toxic. In may be completely inhospitable to them and they might wonder why any God would ever create such a horrible place. Who knows?

I also have to wonder why creationists, when they create videos for documentaries, they only ever focus on the beauty and the wonders. A creationist video will unlikely show you the horrors of nature or indeed things that would indicate malevolent or incompetent design. Eg, they show us the snow flake and the butterfly and how beautiful and unique these are, but you will never see a male lion eating a cub so that it can have sex with the mother. You won’t see the horrible viruses and the suffering that comes from it. You only ever see the beauty and the wonder in a creationist video.

So…

Is the universe really a work of art?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Davidt

Post #21

Post by Davidt »

The universe is a work of art/Is the universe really a work of art?

The last I checked it gave rise to art. So no the universe is not a work of art. It's a random accidental perpetual motion machine self creating and destroying itself in a eternally circular meaningless repetitive motion. it is literally a completely dominated female slave (mother nature) to the manly man God of math. It gives us computers and Mercedes and baseball statistics and money!!!!

You'll notice everyone here is mad ....and I am not all there myself......
[/img]