Question for Bible readers .

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Which translation of the Bible do you read?

The Authorized Version, or King James Version (1611)
13%
American Standard Version (1901)
No votes
English Revised Version (1885)
No votes
Revised Standard Version (1952)
No votes
New American Standard Bible (1960 with subsequent revisions)
13%
New American Standard Bible (1960 with subsequent revisions)
13%
New International Version (1978)
17%
New King James Version (1982)
9%
Contemporary English Version (1995)
No votes
English Standard Version (2001)
9%
Other (Please specify)
26%
New Living Translation
No votes

Total votes: 23

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for Bible readers .

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Which translation do you prefer? More importantly, why do you favour that version?
Last edited by McCulloch on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

cnorman18

Re: --

Post #21

Post by cnorman18 »

goat wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:I read the JTS translation of the Tanakh (the OT, the Jewish Bible) in its Jewish Study Bible translation, along with an Orthodox Chumash with commentary, and a couple of other commentaries as well. The actual translation is pretty much the same as in Christian Bibles, but the order of the books and the numbering of the verses is sometimes different.

When reading the NT, I prefer the NIV, but I still have a certain fondness for the old Phillips translation. For majestic language, you still can't beat the KJV.
There are some translation differences, some which are used by the missionaries to try to convert Jews. For example, 'Like a lion' is translated as 'pierced' and things like that.

The good old 'Lucifer' translation is Isaiah is way out of context too.
That is true, but many Christian Bibles contain the correct translations now too, at least in the notes. "Young woman" is found, properly, instead of "virgin," in a famous passage, for instance. Jews who are familiar with their heritage and the Bible are seldom fooled. Of course, that's why missionaries target secular Jews and not religious Jews for their efforts.

Easyrider

Post #22

Post by Easyrider »

cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:I read the JTS translation of the Tanakh (the OT, the Jewish Bible) in its Jewish Study Bible translation, along with an Orthodox Chumash with commentary, and a couple of other commentaries as well. The actual translation is pretty much the same as in Christian Bibles, but the order of the books and the numbering of the verses is sometimes different.

When reading the NT, I prefer the NIV, but I still have a certain fondness for the old Phillips translation. For majestic language, you still can't beat the KJV.
There are some translation differences, some which are used by the missionaries to try to convert Jews. For example, 'Like a lion' is translated as 'pierced' and things like that.

That is true, but many Christian Bibles contain the correct translations now too, at least in the notes. "Young woman" is found, properly, instead of "virgin," in a famous passage, for instance. Jews who are familiar with their heritage and the Bible are seldom fooled. Of course, that's why missionaries target secular Jews and not religious Jews for their efforts.
Nope, we target both. No fear here.

If you want to debate "almah" in Isaiah 7:14 just provide your own position and we'll see how it goes. Just remember to include your more preferred Hebrew word for "virgin."

cnorman18

Post #23

Post by cnorman18 »

Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

If you want to debate "almah" in Isaiah 7:14 just provide your own position and we'll see how it goes. Just remember to include your more preferred Hebrew word for "virgin."
Goat brought it up. Why don't you challenge him?

I'm not interested.

You've proven many times that you're not interested in debate, only preaching.

You duck questions and ignore arguments, you profess to "disprove" your opponents' arguments by quoting unrelated Scriptures, you deliberately distort and misstate your opponents' positions, you switch positions in the middle of a debate, you indulge in snide, sneering disparagement of others' beliefs, personal insults and smears, and you have no respect for anyone's faith or beliefs but your own. You do not in general deal in reason or argument but in diatribe and doctrine.
Even when you are finally and definitively proven to be wrong (e.g., in your assertion that slavery in the Bible is always either sinful, a punishment from God, or voluntary), you refuse to admit it and keep arguing, no matter how tangential and pointless your arguments grow to be. You apparently think you are inerrant and know everything, and no argument can ever prove you wrong.

You are obviously aware of the actual meaning of the Hebrew word almah. I'm not really interested in seeing some bizarre bit of sophistry "proving" that it means something it doesn't mean, or that that whole passage means something it plainly doesn't, by your forcing other passages to mean things they don't, in a dance that never ends.

You believe what you believe, as is your right: but you also believe in forcing everyone else to believe what you believe, too--no matter whether it's by the law, by specious and dishonest argument, or by ridicule and insult. What you think you are accomplishing by that attitude and those tactics, other than giving Christians a bad name, has never been clear to me.

So, with all due respect, I think I'll decline. This was a casual conversation about different versions and translations. Now you want to come along and try to prove that the Jewish understanding of Scripture is inferior to your own, yet again. It's getting tiresome.

No thanks. I've heard your sermons and seen your arguments before. Go try to convert some other Jew.

Now: feel free to flag this post as abusive, to crow that I'm afraid to debate you because I know I'm wrong, or because I know you'll slap me silly, or whatever you like. I don't care. Everybody here knows your style, and mine, and they can make their own judgments. Feel free to confirm them.

Easyrider

Post #24

Post by Easyrider »

cnorman18 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

I'm not interested.
<duck>
cnorman18 wrote:You've proven many times that you're not interested in debate, only preaching.

You duck questions and ignore arguments, you profess to "disprove" your opponents' arguments by quoting unrelated Scriptures, you deliberately distort and misstate your opponents' positions, you switch positions in the middle of a debate, you indulge in snide, sneering disparagement of others' beliefs, personal insults and smears, and you have no respect for anyone's faith or beliefs but your own. You do not in general deal in reason or argument but in diatribe and doctrine.
Still ducking.... LOL!
cnorman18 wrote:Even when you are finally and definitively proven to be wrong (e.g., in your assertion that slavery in the Bible is always either sinful, a punishment from God, or voluntary), you refuse to admit it and keep arguing, no matter how tangential and pointless your arguments grow to be. You apparently think you are inerrant and know everything, and no argument can ever prove you wrong.
You haven't disproven squat.
cnorman18 wrote:You are obviously aware of the actual meaning of the Hebrew word almah. I'm not really interested in seeing some bizarre bit of sophistry "proving" that it means something it doesn't mean, or that that whole passage means something it plainly doesn't, by your forcing other passages to mean things they don't, in a dance that never ends.
There wasn't any dance - just the evidences. And at least I can make a scriptural case for my positions, instead of scurring off to embrace the so-called "wisdom of the ages" of the sages, like you just did in the other thread. Why even read the Bible when you have that mindset? It's crystal clear to me that you've traded in the Word of God for the politically correct traditions of men.
cnorman18 wrote:You believe what you believe, as is your right: but you also believe in forcing everyone else to believe what you believe, too--no matter whether it's by the law, by specious and dishonest argument, or by ridicule and insult.
"Forcing"? LOL! Get real.
cnorman18 wrote: What you think you are accomplishing by that attitude and those tactics, other than giving Christians a bad name, has never been clear to me.
Lame. You claim to have been a Christian yet your posts show a stunning lack of understanding about NT doctrines and concepts. IMO, if you had ever been a Christian you'd have been born again with the Holy Spirit like the NT teaches, and he would have testified about Christ to you. Then you would have had your evidence Christ is who the NT says he is and you'd have never left the faith. You never surrendered your life and will to Jesus, and made him Lord of your life, did you? See, that's the mistake a ton of casual Christians make, and then they wander off and wonder what happened.
cnorman18 wrote:No thanks. I've heard your sermons and seen your arguments before. Go try to convert some other Jew.
Not my job. I'm just here to set your false arguments straight when you got too far out of kilter, so you don't lead others astray.

cnorman18

Post #25

Post by cnorman18 »

Easyrider wrote:<duck>
"...to crow that I'm afraid to debate you because I know I'm wrong..."
Still ducking.... LOL!
"...or because I know you'll slap me silly, or whatever you like..."
You haven't disproven squat.
"...refuse to admit it and keep arguing.... no argument can ever prove you wrong..."
There wasn't any dance - just the evidences.

"...no matter how tangential and pointless your arguments grow to be..."
And at least I can make a scriptural case for my positions...
"...quoting unrelated Scriptures..."
...instead of scurring off to embrace the so-called "wisdom of the ages" of the sages, like you just did in the other thread.
"...snide, sneering disparagement of others' beliefs..."
Why even read the Bible when you have that mindset?
"...deliberately distort and misstate your opponents' positions..."
It's crystal clear to me that you've traded in the Word of God for the politically correct traditions of men.
"...no respect for anyone's faith or beliefs but your own..."
Lame. You claim to have been a Christian....
"...personal insults and smears..."
....yet your posts show a stunning lack of understanding about NT doctrines and concepts.
"...apparently think you are inerrant and know everything..."
IMO, if you had ever been a Christian....
"...ridicule and insult..."
....you'd have been born again with the Holy Spirit like the NT teaches, and he would have testified about Christ to you. Then you would have had your evidence Christ is who the NT says he is and you'd have never left the faith. You never surrendered your life and will to Jesus, and made him Lord of your life, did you?
"...not interested in debate, only preaching...."
See, that's the mistake a ton of casual Christians make, and then they wander off and wonder what happened.
"...giving Christians a bad name..."
Not my job. I'm just here to set your false arguments straight when you got too far out of kilter, so you don't lead others astray.
"...You do not in general deal in reason or argument but in diatribe and doctrine."

Biker

Post #26

Post by Biker »

cnorman18 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

I'm not interested.

Even when you are finally and definitively proven to be wrong (e.g., in your assertion that slavery in the Bible is always either sinful, a punishment from God, or voluntary), you refuse to admit it and keep arguing, no matter how tangential and pointless your arguments grow to be. You apparently think you are inerrant and know everything, and no argument can ever prove you wrong.

You are obviously aware of the actual meaning of the Hebrew word almah. I'm not really interested in seeing some bizarre bit of sophistry "proving" that it means something it doesn't mean, or that that whole passage means something it plainly doesn't, by your forcing other passages to mean things they don't, in a dance that never ends.

You believe what you believe, as is your right: but you also believe in forcing everyone else to believe what you believe, too--no matter whether it's by the law, by specious and dishonest argument, or by ridicule and insult. What you think you are accomplishing by that attitude and those tactics, other than giving Christians a bad name, has never been clear to me.

So, with all due respect, I think I'll decline. This was a casual conversation about different versions and translations. Now you want to come along and try to prove that the Jewish understanding of Scripture is inferior to your own, yet again. It's getting tiresome.

No thanks. I've heard your sermons and seen your arguments before. Go try to convert some other Jew.

Now: feel free to flag this post as abusive, to crow that I'm afraid to debate you because I know I'm wrong, or because I know you'll slap me silly, or whatever you like. I don't care. Everybody here knows your style, and mine, and they can make their own judgments. Feel free to confirm them.
Then, don't bring it up if you can't back it up!
This is a debate forum, if you don't, or are unable to debate your blind speculations, then don't make the conjecture!
It is Virgin!
Care to debate?

Biker

cnorman18

Post #27

Post by cnorman18 »

Biker wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

I'm not interested.

This is a debate forum, if you don't, or are unable to debate your blind speculations, then don't make the conjecture!
It is Virgin!
Care to debate?

Biker
Sure, but not you.

I prefer to debate people who (a) understand the basic principles of courtesy and respect, (b) actually follow the rules of honest, rational and civil debate, and (c) have some actual idea of what they're talking about.

You fail on all three counts.

If you ever show that you're capable of these, I'll be happy to debate you. Till then, it would be ever so nice of you to put a sock in it.

Biker

Post #28

Post by Biker »

cnorman18 wrote:
Biker wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

I'm not interested.

It is Virgin!
Care to debate?

Biker
Sure, but not you.

I prefer to debate people who (a) understand the basic principles of courtesy and respect, (b) actually follow the rules of honest, rational and civil debate, and (c) have some actual idea of what they're talking about.

If you ever show that you're capable of these, I'll be happy to debate you. Till then, it would be ever so nice of you to put a sock in it.
You don't debate.
You, IMO, are an unbelieving, speculating, sophist, of disingenuous intent.
It still is Virgin!

Biker

cnorman18

Post #29

Post by cnorman18 »

Biker wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Biker wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

I'm not interested.

It is Virgin!
Care to debate?

Biker
Sure, but not you.

You don't debate.
It still is Virgin!

Biker

Like I said.

(Oh, yeah; you need to learn how to use big words and punctuate, too.)

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #30

Post by Fallibleone »

Biker wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Biker wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
goat wrote:

I'm not interested.

It is Virgin!
Care to debate?

Biker
Sure, but not you.

You don't debate.
It still is Virgin!Biker
Exactly how have you managed to avoid being placed on probation for so long?
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''