Who God, What God, When God, Where God and Why God?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Who God, What God, When God, Where God and Why God?

Post #1

Post by Taff Lafferty »

If a hundred different religions have to be wrong for yours to be right, does this show that people from all over the world like to invent gods that don’t exist?
Taff Lafferty

I see you

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Re: Who God, What God, When God, Where God and Why God?

Post #21

Post by Hamsaka »

Taff Lafferty wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Hamsaka]

Thank you for your post, i have never been anything really in regards to organised religion, but man has managed to create thousands of religions all contradicting each other.
I've never found that surprising. Even if the major world religions share core values (don't kill/steal from/lie to/unleash sexual depravity on each other), they arose from cultures that didn't have much contact with each other. The specific differences are cultural.
Its like we need an a, an actual thing so we can enslave ourselves in ignorance, that ignorance is in arrogance to all others outside of your designated cult or observance.
Don't forget people NEVER do what they think is stupid (in the moment), or wrong, and they never do what they don't want to do. What looks ridiculous to you and me is another person's sincerely held salvation. Trying to see it from the other person's POV is challenging, but that's the whole point. I am almost positive they are all wrong, some much wronger than others, in that they have a piece of the big picture but mistake it for the whole picture, like the five blind men and the elephant fable.

Also there's folks out there who for whatever reason feel a depressing lack of personal significance, and being part of a 'special' group, including atheist ones ;) makes ya feel significant. We all feel it, regardless of ideology. One great thing about getting old/er is you stop caring whether or not you are all that significant. And thank goodness for that, what a ball and chain that was.

I hate that it comes to such divisiveness, climates of hatred and persecution, too. Some folks don't feel adequately 'significant' unless they believe they are superior, and some versions of all religions, the fundamentalists especially, go to dangerous lengths to get significance -- Omar Mateen is the most recent example. His religious affiliation is almost irrelevant. It's what his religious affiliation meant to him, and what it justified him to do. He couldn't just be a Regular Joe, and there's quite a few people who in a less deadly way :( are not satisfied unless they can delude themselves into some elite status.
Most annoying is when i ask legitimate questions i feel that im met with pointless scripture not a real answer that comes from any other area than a dogmatic book.
It is frustrating to me too, but it is their genuine answer. There is not a better one. It's like 'code speak'.
Frustration is giving negativity to my direct questioning.
Sometimes I get so frustrated I'm actually mean (verbally). I don't really see it until later, when I'm in a more neutral mood (if even then). Then I 'become them', I become what I'm so frustrated with them about -- superiority, arrogance, dehumanizing. I have to take breaks every now and then because I don't like who I am, and figure no one else does either. I figure taking the high road builds character. Around here, the moderators are very strict, and from my experiences elsewhere, the strictness enables people who vehemently disagree to have a discussion where they otherwise couldn't.
Kind of feel that when cornered in dogma, they complain of the aggression of my question rather than answer it.

Stay loose dude.
You too ;)

marco
Savant

Post #22

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Yes I believe so. I can invent a god today .........
Ironically the vast majority of the earth's population would say you have done so.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
If there is a one God it is more than reasonable that he would have one true religion; and that wouldn't change because there were a million false ones, it would just make it harder to find

And why would a one, true God make himself hard to find? And why would a one true God be interested in a religion? Why would an almighty being, who cared, pick a few uninspiring souls from the mass of humanity and whisper: "Here I am!" Is this REASONABLE?

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #23

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Yes I believe so. I can invent a god today .........
Ironically the vast majority of the earth's population would say you have done so.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
If there is a one God it is more than reasonable that he would have one true religion; and that wouldn't change because there were a million false ones, it would just make it harder to find

And why would a one, true God make himself hard to find? And why would a one true God be interested in a religion? Why would an almighty being, who cared, pick a few uninspiring souls from the mass of humanity and whisper: "Here I am!" Is this REASONABLE?

Is God today hard to find? Is it hard for you, today, to own a copy of the Bible? You can start your Bible study today if you get a copy. There is Bible on the internet too. I don't understand why would you dodge that, because you can search for his Word today.

marco
Savant

Post #24

Post by marco »

rosary wrote:

Is God today hard to find? Is it hard for you, today, to own a copy of the Bible? You can start your Bible study today if you get a copy. There is Bible on the internet too. I don't understand why would you dodge that, because you can search for his Word today.
Why, thank you for your kind advice, rosary. I already have a fine copy of the King James as well as a Douay Version. I couldn't debate here without them.

God is harder to find today than he was thousands of years ago when he was active in the destruction of earthly cities as well as people. He shouted from the sky about his son but I cannot think of an instance in the last 2 millennia since, where he has demonstrated that he is still alive. Can you?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #25

Post by OnceConvinced »

rosary wrote:
That book? It seems to be more full of ancient man's ignorance as far as I can see. I've spent around 40 years studying this book. It turned me into an Atheist and every time I study it now, it strengthens my disbelief.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #26

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

OnceConvinced wrote:
rosary wrote:
That book? It seems to be more full of ancient man's ignorance as far as I can see. I've spent around 40 years studying this book. It turned me into an Atheist and every time I study it now, it strengthens my disbelief.
marco wrote:
rosary wrote:

Why, thank you for your kind advice, rosary. I already have a fine copy of the King James as well as a Douay Version. I couldn't debate here without them.

God is harder to find today than he was thousands of years ago when he was active in the destruction of earthly cities as well as people. He shouted from the sky about his son but I cannot think of an instance in the last 2 millennia since, where he has demonstrated that he is still alive. Can you?
Why are you two both here then? Is this a forum, when one gets his chance to mock religion and to kill good, which is God? Quite a mission. Also one that is impossible.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Justin108 »

[Replying to post 26 by rosary]

Rosary, you seem to be confused about the purpose of this forum. This is not a forum where people go around and say "God exists. Read the Bible". In this forum, one is expected to provide arguments for their claims and beliefs. So instead of saying "go read the Bible", you have to tell us why we need to read the Bible? Why should we believe that the Bible is God's word? This is a debate forum, not a preaching club

marco
Savant

Post #28

Post by marco »

rosary wrote:

Why are you two both here then? Is this a forum, when one gets his chance to mock religion and to kill good, which is God? Quite a mission. Also one that is impossible.
Just as you express, very strongly, what you believe, we are taking the opportunity to express what we believe. That seems fair.

My personal view is that the OT God is a fabrication, a being made up from the imaginings of old nomads; a being endowed with anger, lust, viciousness, jealousy and power; a being you wouldn't want to cross and a very handy being to have on your side - thank you.

His suggestion to Noah to round up pairs of animals, or sevens of some, while at the same time constructing the Titanic is amusing, but the sort of thing old nomads would like to hear. His petulant snapping at Abraham's wife -"What are you giggling at?" is as good as anything in Harry Potter, so I never say the old writers lacked imagination or fun. Go well.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #29

Post by OnceConvinced »

rosary wrote:
When have I ever mocked God? Please point to one post I have ever made where I mock God.

I do not mock God. I don't even believe in God. I do however point out the silliness of beliefs and teachings about this god. Beliefs and teachings that come from human beings and old religious literature.

For my reasons why I come here please see this:

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 424#742424

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Taff Lafferty »

I kind of mock God, or mans belief in him, when we have the information in front of us that is mocked by christianity in deference to their collection of books, so its kind of fair to laugh at christians and muslims and anyone that believes in god and not superman.
Taff Lafferty

I see you