Once again darn it, why the sexy Jesus?!

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Once again darn it, why the sexy Jesus?!

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I have yet to get a decent, well thought out answer for this:

Why the sexy Jesus in nearly ALL Christian literature, artwork and movies?

I spent quite a bit of time in a Christian book store the other day and could not find ONE Jesus who did not look European, tall, long-haired and quite handsome. If he were not dressed in the pure white gown and Birkenstocks I'm am sure the ladies would admit their sexual attraction for him.

A recent study (with Christian participation) - which took into account the known realities of that time - indicates he was very likely short by today's standards, very thin, short wiry hair, very dark with leather skin and poor teeth. In other words, nearly the exact opposite of all Westernized depictions of Jesus.

So, why the sexy Jesus?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Cathar1950 »

What's "Luther's Diet of Worms?" Never heard of that one before.
It is one of those new Diet like the Atkins diet but you eat only worms grown in Luther's 95 theses. It almost always works with exorcism.

Cmass
Guru

Post #22

Post by Cmass »

Lainey said:
I strongly suspect that whether they admit it or not, most Christians think that what you look like on the outside is a reflection of your inner spiritual health. It's only human, after all. People size people up based on their appearance all the time. Why should they be any different? (Yeah, I know they think they're different, but reality shows us otherwise).
I strongly suspect you are correct......which is why it is such a difficult subject for them.

Cmass
Guru

Post #23

Post by Cmass »

Quote:

It is one of those new Diet like the Atkins diet but you eat only worms grown in Luther's 95 theses. It almost always works with exorcism.

The dude certainly did know how to give a good tongue lashing to the Pope before the diet:

As for me, the die is cast; I despise alike the favor and fury of Rome; I do not wish to be reconciled with her; or even to hold any communication with her. Let her condemn and burn my books; I, in turn, unless I can find no fire, will condemn and publicly burn the whole pontifical law, that swamp of heresies.

The Diet of Worms is actually a good example of how easy it is to misinterpret history because of shifting definitions:

"Diet" in this case has nothing to do with eating but instead refers to an assembly - something like a court that Luther had to face because of his rather poor relationship with the Pope.
"Worms" in this case refers to a town & not fishing bait.

The brief on the story of Luther facing the Diet is actually quite engaging:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms

Chem
Apprentice

Post #24

Post by Chem »

The Diet of Worms is actually a good example of how easy it is to misinterpret history because of shifting definitions:

"Diet" in this case has nothing to do with eating but instead refers to an assembly - something like a court that Luther had to face because of his rather poor relationship with the Pope.
"Worms" in this case refers to a town & not fishing bait.

The brief on the story of Luther facing the Diet is actually quite engaging:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms
Thanks for the help.
"I'd rather know than believe" Carl Sagan.

"The worst Government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when the fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression." H.L. Mencken

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Cathar1950 »

I was trying to be funny.

Chem
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by Chem »

Quote:

Apologies, your humour is much appreciated ( :lol: ) but the comment was for Cmass's post detailing the pre-Aitkens Diet.
"I'd rather know than believe" Carl Sagan.

"The worst Government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when the fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression." H.L. Mencken

Cmass
Guru

Post #27

Post by Cmass »

You were. Don't worry, I got it.
I looked it up because of my own curiosity.
- C

Noachian
Student

Post #28

Post by Noachian »

Most westernized depictures of Jesus arent for marketing reasons but for bias reasons....the Catholics often like to depict Him as a Roman looking man (who looks abit like their god the Pope). I saw a picture my American friend had on his USB stick and it had a pic of Jesus and behind him a huge American flag and my freind said...."look Tim Jesus was American" I was shocked (I mean yeh he was joking..but the picture....what the).....As a Christian I like to see pictures of my savior Christ when he is has a vial to block the hot Israeli sun and is in poor clothes and really beaten sandles. With a little smile across his face....this shows the real servent which came to earth and served us....."to follow me you must first put yourself last" - Christ.

Cmass
Guru

Post #29

Post by Cmass »

Most westernized depictures of Jesus arent for marketing reasons but for bias reasons
Yes, they are for marketing reasons. "Bias" only indicates a person's need for their view to prevail. All marketing is bias in favor of the corporation it serves. Sometimes the sexy Jesus sells the church to more members (thus bringing in more power, money & influence) and sometimes sexy Jesus is the product itself. How many good 'ole Texas boys would worship in a church with a painting on the wall showing Jesus looking like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? http://www.president.ir/eng/

"look Tim Jesus was American" I was shocked (I mean yeh he was joking..but the picture....what the).
Shocked by what? You have never before witnessed this level of reasoning in a fellow Christian? God is made in the image of people. Your buddy is simply responding - right on cue - to good marketing. HIS Jesus IS American. I Bet he can even fly a fighter plane and shoot a machine gun. I have also seen claims that Jesus is a member of the NRA, leads battle charges, detests the poor, drives an SUV, and supports big oil corporations that screw the environment.
As a Christian I like to see pictures of my savior Christ when he is has a vial to block the hot Israeli sun and is in poor clothes and really beaten sandles.
So, you like the martyr Jesus: The downtrodden hero who rises from the ashes and saves the world. That is a powerful image and one I have seen for sale many times. However, at his most downtrodden, he always looks appealing. Hollywood films do this all the time: Smudge a bit of dirt onto the face of a tall, handsome European and dress him up in sack cloth.
However, ultimately, since there are no photographs and since he did not commission any paintings, you really don't have any idea what a Jesus person looked like. Thus ALL images are false. Fake. Make-believe. The best guess - and the closest you will ever see - is what the ungodly scientists have provided based upon resent research on the matter.

The modern Jesus image is so completely out of line that it can serve no other purpose than selling something to frightened, easily manipulated people.

Noachian
Student

Post #30

Post by Noachian »

CMass......your point is a strong one and I laughed more than thought when I read it....I dont think there was any point making this thread if you have the answers all worked out (I'm not saying that all threads should be questions, but this one was a qu I believe). And yes I do like the downtrodden Jesus and I agree hollywood makes him look stupid and fake by dressing up a sexy italian stallian...But (yes thers a but) whats with the 'ungodly scientist' I hope your not a middleageist where you think Christians dont believe in science or sumat stupid (well they did invent it).....I do believe the scientists on what Jesus looked like (sort of), it is the best guess if it comes from scientific research, and if you look closely you can see that the scientific Jesus...is a downtrodden, beaten, hairy, poor, poorly dressed Man.....but loook close beond the religious fake paintings and beond the taky American buch SUV driving warlord....and beond the English posh snobby jewlcrusted King and beond the tall handsome dark ladysman of Italy......look beond these marketing scams and you will see the HERO Jesus was.