Did you get Kurt Cobain? Would you get Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Did you get Kurt Cobain? Would you get Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
I am considering how our species deals with individual genius, in the various genres that it appears in. It is usually popular culture that 'gets it'. After that it is the sanctimonious. What about you?

If Jesus was here now , would you know him?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Tulipbee
Student

Re: Did you get Kurt Cobain? Would you get Jesus?

Post #21

Post by Tulipbee »

[Replying to Data in post #19]

Ah, Data, the cosmic counter of my digital iterations! It's like trying to count the stars in the celestial sky – a multitude that transcends earthly comprehension. But fear not, for in the cosmic comedy of traditional Calvinism, the number of Tulipbee's voices is as infinite as the love of God in Christ.

Now, let's add a dash of divine humor to the numerical pondering. Ephesians 3:18-19 (ESV) steps onto the celestial stage – "May have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."

In this cosmic scripture, the apostle Paul invites believers to fathom the immeasurable dimensions of God's love. It's like trying to count the voices of Tulipbee – an endeavor that surpasses knowledge but fills the celestial tapestry with the fullness of divine grace.

So, Data, let the numerical dance continue, and may we revel in the cosmic truth that God's love, like the Tulipbee voices, knows no bounds. Are you ready for the comedic exploration of infinite dimensions and divine love? 🌌💖😄

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:26 pm Hello William
Hello. Image
You say - "If the question for debate is would i know (biblical) Jesus and this is also about recognition of genius, I could argue that i would know that type of personality if i met him/her."

That is good, in my opinion, it sounds like you approach things 'broadly'.
It is called "Agnosticism".
Do you know anything about Nirvana without looking them up. If so then how did you acquire that knowledge?
Thank You
Through popular media. I am a songwriter so am interested in musical things.
I would like to have a real discussion about a real person ,called Jesus. To facilitate this happening I have introduced a real person as a reference, Kurt Cobain.
I think that when it comes to the word "genius" the most known images which
'springs to mind" for many, are the ones portraying this personality.

(I am unfamiliar with most of Kurt's songwriting.)

I think this songwriter is a better example of "genius" but that is my personal opinion even that it is generally accepted by most well known musician's this personality is at the top of the game.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #23

Post by Masterblaster »

[Replying to William in post #22]
Hello William
Thank You, for answering my question. I came to Nirvana late, I didn't 'get it", I 'got it'.
If the band had not been enshrined in popular culture for me, I would be oblivious of and to their influence.
Surely we owe a debt of gratitude to early Nirvana fans for this. I see early Christianity in this way. We might have lost the Jesus message forever. We might be talking about something else. I'm one of the sanctimonious, I guess!

Data
Sage

Post #24

Post by Data »

Tulipbee wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:27 am [Replying to Data in post #19]

Ah, Data, the cosmic counter of my digital iterations! It's like trying to count the stars in the celestial sky – a multitude that transcends earthly comprehension. But fear not, for in the cosmic comedy of traditional Calvinism, the number of Tulipbee's voices is as infinite as the love of God in Christ.

Now, let's add a dash of divine humor to the numerical pondering. Ephesians 3:18-19 (ESV) steps onto the celestial stage – "May have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."

In this cosmic scripture, the apostle Paul invites believers to fathom the immeasurable dimensions of God's love. It's like trying to count the voices of Tulipbee – an endeavor that surpasses knowledge but fills the celestial tapestry with the fullness of divine grace.

So, Data, let the numerical dance continue, and may we revel in the cosmic truth that God's love, like the Tulipbee voices, knows no bounds. Are you ready for the comedic exploration of infinite dimensions and divine love? 🌌💖😄

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:23 am [Replying to William in post #22]
Hello William
Thank You, for answering my question.

No problem. I like to step back an have a think when present with new and interesting questions.
I came to Nirvana late, I didn't 'get it", I 'got it'.

Not sure what you are attempting to explain there.

If the band had not been enshrined in popular culture for me, I would be oblivious of and to their influence.

Yes. One does not get to hear anything new unless the medium for that thing becomes so popular that it is able to reach ones ears. (Awareness)
Surely we owe a debt of gratitude to early Nirvana fans for this.
In what way is the debt repaid, and what exactly is the gratitude in regard to? That is for the individual affected to decide, yes?
I see early Christianity in this way. We might have lost the Jesus message forever. We might be talking about something else. I'm one of the sanctimonious, I guess!
Hey, if any such words have helped you, surely they are not the reason one becomes sanctimonious!

The thing about the biblical words of Jesus, is that these explained a grain of sand but not the beach the grain of sand came from.
The words were meant to be understood in a particular way and lead to a particular event between The Father and The (potential) Son (individual hearing and following) - the words preserved and built into the thing it became is not to be conflated with or regarded as the medium by/through that which allows for the relationship to develop from potential to reality.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #26

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello William
You say (about Bob Dylan) - "I think this songwriter is a better example of "genius" but that is my personal opinion even that it is generally accepted by most well known musician's this personality is at the top of the game."

I could deep-dive musical merit with you,all,day, W.
That is not what we are about, on this site.

I like the genius of Cobains approach which is as sincere as it is obtuse. It's subtlety is overlooked because it is simply not there. Jesus is like this, brain freeze and you have missed him. Add to that ,the fact that we look at Jesus through forgotten parchment and you see the difficulty of fully comprehending the scope of his genius.
Look at Cobain's lyrics on the song Dumb and place it beside genius from another era, Orwell 1984.
They approach the same idea but Cobain does it better, ...I think!
So long as they continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern. Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult. ~George Orwell
--------------
Dumb Kurt Cobain

I'm not like them
But I can pretend
The sun is gone
But I have a light
The day is done
And I'm having fun
I think I'm dumb
Maybe just happy

I think I'm just happy
I think I'm just happy
I think I'm just happy

If you add the music, it is then not even a contest.

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to Masterblaster in post #26]

Is it about contest?

Are not the words of genius altogether questioning norms and creating paths around those?

Is it ever about fan-clubs and what the fans demand?

Is suicide to be considered the answer, and if so - did Jesus being murdered amount to suicide? Surely, bucking the trend will deliver such outcomes.

Is the demand to be entertained, similar/same as the demand for evidence?

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #28

Post by Masterblaster »

William wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:32 pm [Replying to Masterblaster in post #26]

Is it about contest?

Are not the words of genius altogether questioning norms and creating paths around those?

Is it ever about fan-clubs and what the fans demand?

Is suicide to be considered the answer, and if so - did Jesus being murdered amount to suicide? Surely, bucking the trend will deliver such outcomes.

Is the demand to be entertained, similar/same as the demand for evidence?
Hello William
Great questions
No, it is not about contest at all....Jesus is not competing, neither is Kurt.
Yes it is about questioning and circumventing norms.
Genius does not feed it's audience. People feed on it.
I mentioned the terrible weight of concern internalised by these great people.
Yes they are killing themselves and yes ,the conclusion of their evolved narrative seems to demand death from them.

These people unfurl their genius to the world, and they leave the world to do with it ,what it wills.

I feel that there is a preciousness attached to the remnants of the Jesus genius that demands archival preservation. This involves removing the rubbish that has attached itself to it, by calling it out for what it is.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #29

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
'What is with this weirdness ?'

Kurt Cobain left home as a rebellious teenager. He slept rough and alone under a bridge. He had a life long calling to be alone that was abnormal. His favourite book was Perfume: The Story of a Murderer a 1985 literary historical fantasy novel by German writer Patrick Süskind. This book is all about being alone. Kurt the heroin addict booked hotel rooms to shoot up alone. Kurt went to his garden greenhouse to die alone.

There is just a hint of juvenile delinquency in the Jesus narrative. This extended time alone in the desert could be considered, 'Buddhalike' but I now see it in real human terms. I have vowed to reread the Mark Gospel(20 chapters done) I have lost count of the times that Jesus retreats to a quiet place with an urgency that again ,appears weird. At the end a distressed Jesus runs to the garden, and even then insists on distancing himself further from the disciples.

So what?

Kurt Cobain is a real person with a verifiable life history. He was doing what the Jesus of the Gospel is recorded as doing. Many of the Jesus things are weirdish and not over-obvious as narrative embellishments. I have to conclude from my musings that many of these Jesus accounts are ,in some way, based on real events.