Christians and Alcohol

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Openmind
Sage

Christians and Alcohol

Post #1

Post by Openmind »

Ok...here is a real life situation involving christians, and what some believe is right and wrong.

A strongly christian friend of mine is having an 18th birthday party soon. Now, I'm an atheist, and I would have had no probs getting on the turps with some good mates and having a good time. My christian friend said that was ok - he would have a few drinks but wouldn't get sozzled. But...some other strong christian friends of his have said that they don't want alcohol there. And, as a result, he has decided there shall be none.

Now...it's his party, and he can prohibit if he wants to, prohibit if he wants to, prohibit if he wants to (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

But surely...are these christians on solid, faith backed ground to say that just becuase they don't feel like drinking or have a problem with it, no one else can? And that they don't feel comfortable with it? I know, that becuase they are christian, they have heavily influenced his decision in banning some of us drinkers from consuming our party beverages.

I would appreciate input from some christians over whether this is right or wrong!

Cheers

Vanguard
Guru

Re: Christians and Alcohol

Post #21

Post by Vanguard »

Openmind wrote:Ok...here is a real life situation involving christians, and what some believe is right and wrong.

A strongly christian friend of mine is having an 18th birthday party soon. Now, I'm an atheist, and I would have had no probs getting on the turps with some good mates and having a good time. My christian friend said that was ok - he would have a few drinks but wouldn't get sozzled. But...some other strong christian friends of his have said that they don't want alcohol there. And, as a result, he has decided there shall be none.
Did you actually hear these other Christians say "we don't want alcohol there" or did your friend report this to you? If you didn't hear it directly is it possible that the exchange between your friend and the Christians had the Christians behaving in a sensitive & considerate fashion? Does this make any difference to you?

What about these "mates"? Have they been to parties where they have caused a ruckus from their intoxication one too many times? Are these mates & Christians on a freindly footing or are they continually clashing? Point being, I can think of plenty scenarios where such a request would be considered inappropriate or appopriate based on variables you have not articulated in this post.
Now...it's his party, and he can prohibit if he wants to, prohibit if he wants to, prohibit if he wants to (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

But surely...are these christians on solid, faith backed ground to say that just becuase they don't feel like drinking or have a problem with it, no one else can? And that they don't feel comfortable with it? I know, that becuase they are christian, they have heavily influenced his decision in banning some of us drinkers from consuming our party beverages.
Again, based on some of the unaddressed variables my answer will vary. I am essentially a teetotaler when it comes to alcohol though I have been to many social functions where alcohol was present. I have also refrained from many a social occasion wanting to avoid the unsavory side of alcohol consumption.

All else being equal, I would prefer that no alcohol be consumed as I enjoy engaging with others who remain sober. It is possible to have quite the rowdy time without needing the slight buzz to facilitate it.
I would appreciate input from some christians over whether this is right or wrong!
I don't see it as a right or wrong? How about an issue of whether the Christian friends were appropriately sensitive to the fact that your buddy has many different kinds of friends?