The 10 sins

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

TheHate
Student

The 10 sins

Post #1

Post by TheHate »

If god loved you why would he give you 10 things not to do???
honestly :?
if you do them you get sent to hell :shock:
yup that is love :-s

as someone else menchend to me all you have to do is basiclly repent
but whats the point of them??????????

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by achilles12604 »

I would have probably given many more considering the course of human history.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Chaplinsky
Student

Re: --

Post #22

Post by Chaplinsky »

TheHate wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:I see a really peculiar idea being taken for granted here: that rules, in this case the. Ten, are set up for no other reason than to get people into trouble. (Logical corollary; there ought to be no rules.)

Has anyone really reflected on this? That is the attitude of a five-year-old child.

My parents gave me rules: Don't touch the stove when it's on. Don't play in the street. Don't run with scissors. Don't play with matches.

Anybody notice a pattern?

The Ten are all things that are bad for you. Not just for others; for you yourself.

If you steal and kill and lie under oath, you become the kind of person that no one should want to be. The same applies to all the rest, including the commandments against blasphemy, following other gods, and even coveting.

Geez, people, think it through. Only children think the point of rules is just to prevent you from doing whatever you want, and only children think that the worst thing that can happen to you if you break a rule--and the only thing that matters--is that you might get punished.

I came to understand this when I was four and pressed Daddy's car lighter, which I was forbidden to touch, to my mouth. I figured it was okay, because no one was looking. I still have the scar. (They didn't have that protective rim back in the 50s.)

The punishment is irrelevant, whether it's Hell or a spanking. God doesn't want us to play in the street.

This stuff isn't rocket science; it isn't even theology. It's just an understanding of things like consequences and character and intent that's maybe made it to middle-school level.

Honestly. This may be the weirdest thread I've ever read.
it si for our own good
but we should make the choice not be told
true we should be able to make our own choice not be told. that is probably why the bible also tells us to follow the laws of men. However, some people cannot make this choice of behaving. Even after being told not to by the governent(our ideas of right and wrong) and by God people will still be adulteress and thieves. Perhaps this is why God told the people, he thought he would remind them of the things that made him mad and that they really shouldnt do. Reminders never hurt no one.

josefcorrealima
Student

Ten Commandments

Post #23

Post by josefcorrealima »

Here's some facts from the Bible about the Ten Commandments (and the Sabbath specifically).

God wrote the Ten Commandments with His own finger.

The Sabbath is the only commandment that starts with the word REMEMBER.

The Sabbath was established as a Holy day even before Moses during the time of Adam when God created Earth.

All over the Bible the Sabbath is a "SIGN" between God and His people.

Jesus came not to change the laws but to fulfill them.

Now, people that do not want to accept the Sabbath will often start talking about "new laws" and the "new covenant". If you research this "new covenant" enough you will realize it's more about the Tabernacle (read Hebrews) than anything else.

Thus, people will mix the Ten Commandments of God with the Tabernacle laws and say that God gave "new laws". More specifically they will often mention that God said to "love your God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself".

This is an exact summary of the Ten Commandments. The first four commandments are in reference to our direct relationship with God- the last six to our neighbors.

Once again, notice how it is written- REMEMBER the Sabbath day.

1John 2:4